PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint PRO + Aimpoint magnifier misalignment question

thekidprodigy87
10-06-2011, 5:09 PM
I have a sig 556 which has much lower iron sights then AR platforms. I bought the Aimpoint PRO red dot and took out the spacer so I can co-witness with my iron sights. Problem is my magnifier (mounted on LaRue pivot short mount) is at least a half inch higher than my Aimpoint PRO red dot. I can view my red dot just fine through the magnifier and it seems to be centered in my view.

My question is will the half inch height difference affect my point of impact when I interchange between using the magnifier and not? It doesn't seem to affect my point of view. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TATB
10-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Using a half inch higher magnifier may shift the position of eye with respect to the Aimpoint optical axe by the same half inch up, which may shift the point of impact by the same half inch up. You can obtain the exact figures as follows. Fasten the gun with some rest and aim it at the center of the target using the magnifier. The target does not have to be far away - just enough to use the magnifier. Remove the magnifier and measure the shift. It will be less than 1/2" because the parallax error in "parallax-free" non-magnified systems equals to the error of dot centering and can not exceed the window radius. You will have the same shift of point of impact (a few mm) regardless of the distance to the target.