PDA

View Full Version : Whitehouse.gov petition on the '86 Hughes Amendment

edward
10-06-2011, 3:35 PM
Apparently this was posted up a few days ago. It has until Oct. 29th to reach 5k signatures. I signed it; can't do any harm right?

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/push-congress-repeal-hughes-amendment-fopa-and-nfa/FWXhjh9s

FYI, you need to make an account to sign. It is super simple; just requires full name, zip and email address.

Text of Petition:

we petition the obama administration to:
Push Congress to repeal the Hughes amendment to the FOPA and NFA
The Hughes amendment to the Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA) closed the machine gun registry in 1986. The problem is that there is now video available of the vote to add the Hughes amendment that clearly shows that the motion to add it failed in committee. However it was sent to the Senate with that amendment attached anyway after the house approved the FOPA without the Hughes amendment. Once passed in the Senate, President Regan signed it into law.

By all rights the Hughes amendment should never have been included and signed into law, yet it now on the books. Please press Congress to repeal the Hughes amendment, especially since it was never passed legally to begin with.

Author had a few typos... :facepalm:

redking
10-06-2011, 3:56 PM

Ubermcoupe
10-06-2011, 3:58 PM
That would be so cool... a NEW MG would be awesome (and curb some of the astronomical $$$). :thumbsup:

Bhobbs
10-06-2011, 4:00 PM

Bhobbs
10-06-2011, 4:01 PM
That would be so cool... a NEW MG would be awesome (and curb some of the astronomical $$$). :thumbsup:

The only reason the prices are that high is due to supply and demand. Open up the supply and price will drop.

cmaynes
10-06-2011, 4:17 PM
well since no weapons manufactured after 1986 can be privately owned, that is the principal gating factor- There will be a LOT of kickback from those who have considerable financial interest in NFA weapons, as it will effectively destroy the investment market for them.

edward
10-06-2011, 4:21 PM
well since no weapons manufactured after 1986 can be privately owned, that is the principal gating factor- There will be a LOT of kickback from those who have considerable financial interest in NFA weapons, as it will effectively destroy the investment market for them.

Well I guess they'll just have to take one for the team...

E Pluribus Unum
10-06-2011, 4:23 PM
Apparently this was posted up a few days ago. It has until Oct. 29th to reach 5k signatures. I signed it; can't do any harm right?

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/push-congress-repeal-hughes-amendment-fopa-and-nfa/FWXhjh9s

FYI, you need to make an account to sign. It is super simple; just requires full name, zip and email address.

Text of Petition:

Author had a few typos... :facepalm:

Anyone who wastes his time signing this petition needs his head examined...

Obama push to repeal a gun ban??? To even think this is possible is lunacy.

dantodd
10-06-2011, 4:26 PM

If you are aware of anyone who owns FA guns and opposes reopening because the value of their collection would go down please post something to support that. Otherwise I call BS.

99% of people who own FA weapons are serious gun collectors and would welcome the chance to add more modern weapons to their collection as well as import older FA weapons that are currently unimportable.

edward
10-06-2011, 4:30 PM
Anyone who wastes his time signing this petition needs his head examined...

Obama push to repeal a gun ban??? To even think this is possible is lunacy.

My response in bold. And Caps. And underlined.

I Signed it; CAN'T DO ANY HARM RIGHT?

ke6guj
10-06-2011, 4:31 PM
If you are aware of anyone who owns FA guns and opposes reopening because the value of their collection would go down please post something to support that. Otherwise I call BS.

99% of people who own FA weapons are serious gun collectors and would welcome the chance to add more modern weapons to their collection as well as import older FA weapons that are currently unimportable.

:iagree:

informal surveys done on NFA-centric forums have usually shown that most MG collectors would gladly take the hit in value if they can get new stuff. You can't buy a modern design MG with 922(o) is effect. No M249s, no FA SCARs or ACRs, etc.

Yes, the value of an M16 will go down, but you can't make any more 1930s 1928 overstamp Thompsons. Items like that will hold much of their value even if you can buy a new FA Tommy gun tomorrow.

cmaynes
10-06-2011, 4:35 PM

I know Mike Papac and Dan Shea, and I think they would suffer pretty significantly- They both are able to buy post 86 weapons too. I also think they would welcome the repeal- they are businessmen.

CCWFacts
10-06-2011, 4:39 PM

That's my impression as well. Yes they would take a financial hit but they didn't buy these things as investments. That's something they told their wives but it's not true!

cmaynes
10-06-2011, 4:41 PM
:iagree:

informal surveys done on NFA-centric forums have usually shown that most MG collectors would gladly take the hit in value if they can get new stuff. You can't buy a modern design MG with 922(o) is effect. No M249s, no FA SCARs or ACRs, etc.

Yes, the value of an M16 will go down, but you can't make any more 1930s 1928 overstamp Thompsons. Items like that will hold much of their value even if you can buy a new FA Tommy gun tomorrow.

when we have a Colt M16/M4 which sells on the NFA market for 15k, vs the .gov price of under 1k, it is clearly an issue for many- things like M240's go for around 60k vs the gov price of 10 to 14k as well.... Anyone with significant inventory of weapons for sale is going to take a pretty good hit on that- It wont effect CA citizens though, because they are still restricted.

dantodd
10-06-2011, 4:48 PM
when we have a Colt M16/M4 which sells on the NFA market for 15k, vs the .gov price of under 1k, it is clearly an issue for many- things like M240's go for around 60k vs the gov price of 10 to 14k as well.... Anyone with significant inventory of weapons for sale is going to take a pretty good hit on that- It wont effect CA citizens though, because they are still restricted.

With the limited inventory of M16s available I am absolutely certain that you would see AT LEAST a 10X increase in the number of FA M16 sales each year. Heck, it might be a 100X increase. The parts are not more expensive than for an AR-15 so you're really only paying for the tax. I think MANY people would pay the extra 10%-20% for the happy switch, even if they don't plan on using it.

Sadly, none of this applies to CA, as you said.

Bhobbs
10-06-2011, 6:00 PM

I have read that many MG owners would sacrifice their investments to own new full autos that weren't around in 86.

Besides how many MGs have been destroyed or worn out where they cannot be replaced? Eventually the number will reach 0 and then that's it.

Kharn
10-06-2011, 6:57 PM
well since no weapons manufactured after 1986 can be privately owned, that is the principal gating factor- There will be a LOT of kickback from those who have considerable financial interest in NFA weapons, as it will effectively destroy the investment market for them.As someone with 7 NFA stamps to my name, you dont know what you're talking about. The vast majority of NFA owners would not care if their collection dropped 80% in value overnight if they could buy new MGs for semiauto prices, those that voice otherwise are ostracized.

Ubermcoupe
10-06-2011, 7:05 PM

Ubermcoupe
10-06-2011, 7:06 PM
The only reason the prices are that high is due to supply and demand. Open up the supply and price will drop.

My Sentiments Exactly!;)

emtnsocali
10-06-2011, 7:18 PM

smirnus3000
10-06-2011, 9:49 PM
the wife and I are both in # 170 and 172

E Pluribus Unum
10-07-2011, 2:55 AM
My response in bold. And Caps. And underlined.

I Signed it; CAN'T DO ANY HARM RIGHT?

It cannot do any harm.... but it's an exercise in futility and a complete waste of time. If you feel inclined to volunteer your time to help the cause by filling out a worthless petition to the leader of the group hell-bent on taking our rights, then I would suggest volunteering for CGF, or your local church, boy scout, or other charitable foundation. At least then your efforts have a possibility of being fruitful. :)

tallic68
10-07-2011, 12:15 PM
272 signed it. What the heck.

zhyla
10-07-2011, 1:32 PM
Signing this petition is just saying publicly that you don't understand how our government is organized. Sure, the president has some power and can ask congress to do things, but you really need to be petitioning your senators and your representatives. Though even that is a waste of time.

aklover_91
10-07-2011, 3:07 PM
It cannot do any harm.... but it's an exercise in futility and a complete waste of time. If you feel inclined to volunteer your time to help the cause by filling out a worthless petition to the leader of the group hell-bent on taking our rights, then I would suggest volunteering for CGF, or your local church, boy scout, or other charitable foundation. At least then your efforts have a possibility of being fruitful. :)

Because taling one minute to sign a petition just in case precludes you from continuing to volunteer time with anything else.

I'm not sure what point your trying to make, here, other then DON'T BOTHER IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. Plenty said the same thing about the odds of the Fed AWB being allowed to sunset or our chances in Heller. Low odds don't mean you shouldn't even think about it.

nicki
10-07-2011, 3:11 PM
I am not a lawyer, that being said, if the Hughes amendment was not actually voted on, then it should be invalid on it's face.

Certainly this would allow the courts to overturn the Hughes amendment without overturning the NFA.

This is a bigger issue than just 2nd amendment, if amendments can just be attached to bills without the Congress or the Senate actually voting on them, either yah or nay, it destroys our democratic process.

Based on the track record of NFA holders, there is no "compelling government" interest in the "Hughes amendment".

Of course, the Federal courts will fight this tooth and nail and unless the US Supreme court will take this case, it is going NOWHERE.

We are at least 5 years out from attacking the NFA and to tell you the truth, I would like guns with the happy switch.

I used to be more of a "Bull", but I am pulling back because the "Gura Calguns" model of attack one issue at a time is the way to go.

The machinegun issue will be addressed after everything else is won first.

Nicki

6172crew
10-07-2011, 3:23 PM
As someone with 7 NFA stamps to my name, you dont know what you're talking about. The vast majority of NFA owners would not care if their collection dropped 80% in value overnight if they could buy new MGs for semiauto prices, those that voice otherwise are ostracized.

I have 6 stamps myself, 2 of those are for MGs, I would welcome the end of the MG ban.

So I loose $17K so I can buy a giggle switch for for my semi-auto sounds like a good trade off. Even if I loose out on the M16 you would still have to think about the fact my mini-Uzi is a IMI and i don't know how you would get around the imported AW ban.

The problem with MGs is the cost of running them, just like running a race car. You can't use cheap gas and it uses alot of gas. It cost me $200 everytime I let my friends run them. I've been having more fun with Supressed single shot stuff.

SDS-Ruger
10-07-2011, 4:06 PM
It will create jobs and put money into the economy, isn't that what 0bama wants. and then all the new taxes from the new NFA's.:rofl: just think how many new parts and guns will be made. plus all the ammo from:13::83::25::36:
:rofl: