PDA

View Full Version : Broward County (FLA) seeks exemption to HB45

vantec08
10-06-2011, 3:35 PM
http://webapps.broward.org/newsrelease/AdminDisplayMessages.aspx?intMessageId=3345

After all . .. . they ARE Broward County

Wolverine
10-06-2011, 4:38 PM
http://webapps.broward.org/newsrelease/AdminDisplayMessages.aspx?intMessageId=3345

Quoting Commissioner Stacy Ritter

"If I were the victim of a sexual assault, going through a recovery program, or if I was beaten up and sexually assaulted I would not want that person coming into that facility with a gun. If he/she did come in with a gun I would want staff to be able to say, ‘No you can't come in,’ and that can't happen right now."

Let me see if I got this straight. A person wanted for a felony (sexual assault) walks into the building and Stacy Ritter wants to be able to say "No you can't come in'. I have a better idea. Why don't you call the cops (or pull your own gun and arrest him yourself).

wazdat
10-06-2011, 4:45 PM

"If I were the victim of a sexual assault, going through a recovery program, or if I was beaten up and sexually assaulted I would not want that person coming into that facility with a gun. If he/she did come in with a gun I would want staff to be able to say, ‘No you can't come in,’ and that can't happen right now."

Let me see if I got this straight. A person wanted for a felony (sexual assault) walks into the building and Stacy Ritter wants to be able to say "No you can't come in'. I have a better idea. Why don't you call the cops (or pull your own gun and arrest him yourself).

No, they're saying they don't want the victim bringing a gun into the building.

Crom
10-06-2011, 4:52 PM

Hey OP, Edit the title of the thread to begin with "Florida:" It's so much more helpful.

GaryV
10-06-2011, 5:39 PM
They're seriously mischaracterizing the law. It does not ALLOW guns to be carried anywhere, and it doesn't PROHIBIT anything except the violation of state preemption laws by local officials. If they're worried about sexual assault recovery centers, they could simply push for a state law prohibiting carry in those places. But what they really want is autonomous authority to pass any gun control law they want, and by misstating what this law does, they're just trying to gather the support of the ignorant.

vantec08
10-06-2011, 6:06 PM
They're seriously mischaracterizing the law. It does not ALLOW guns to be carried anywhere, and it doesn't PROHIBIT anything except the violation of state preemption laws by local officials. If they're worried about sexual assault recovery centers, they could simply push for a state law prohibiting carry in those places. But what they really want is autonomous authority to pass any gun control law they want, and by misstating what this law does, they're just trying to gather the support of the ignorant.

Hell yea man . .. they're going for carte blanche.

morfeeis
10-07-2011, 2:26 PM
“I propose that we have the chair of the Broward County State Legislative Delegation file a local bill that will exempt Broward County from HB 45,” said Commissioner Stacy Ritter. “Many counties don't have sexual assault treatment or addiction recovery centers, so they don't have to deal with these problems. If I were the victim of a sexual assault, going through a recovery program, or if I was beaten up and sexually assaulted I would not want that person coming into that facility with a gun. If he/she did come in with a gun I would want staff to be able to say, ‘No you can't come in,’ and that can't happen right now.”

Because people that brings guns to do harm care what the staff says.

Wherryj
10-07-2011, 3:00 PM

Well, you could always very politely ask the sadistic sexual predator to leave when he shows up with the gun. It has about as much chance of working as any law...