PDA

View Full Version : Azusa places new restrictions on gun stores

formula502
10-06-2011, 11:16 AM
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_19050459

"The new code would limit where the businesses can open, mostly to business districts. It also requires a use permit, which needs city approval and provides for more oversight, according to city staff reports."

vantec08
10-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Oversight?? to over see WHAT??

unusedusername
10-06-2011, 1:07 PM
Hrm, I guess they decided to branch out now that they are not as successful in the SF Bay area.

Peoples: you need to go to your city and county government website and READ the ordinances that are being proposed, especially the ones that are still in committee.

I would bet good money (if I had any) that there are more then two other cities or counties in so cal considering the L*** model ordinance right now as well.

ScottB
10-06-2011, 1:23 PM
Previously, potential gun stores - there is only one gun seller in Azusa - could open in the city with a general retail license, without a use permit, and were allowed in residential areas known as "neighborhood zones."

That would be Pacific Sporting Arms. They only sell very high end shotguns like Krieghoff and Perazzi and they are already located in business district such as the new law commands . How they get lumped in with tattoo joints and massage parlors is beyond me.

Kind of a stupidly pointless law.

Ubermcoupe
10-06-2011, 1:29 PM
This would be similar to the legislation just proposed in sunnyvale no?

MOA Armory
10-06-2011, 1:52 PM
I think they were referring to us:
MOA Armory, LLC.
523 N Azusa Ave.
Azusa, CA. 91702 (located on the North bound Left (West) side of N. Azusa Ave. between 5th and 6th Street. Just North of the 210)
We opened our doors late last year and just got our FFL and CFD several months ago. We are in their "Down Town" district and they gave us a long list of conditions that we had to meet in order to sell firearms.

That would be Pacific Sporting Arms. They only sell very high end shotguns like Krieghoff and Perazzi and they are already located in business district such as the new law commands . How they get lumped in with tattoo joints and massage parlors is beyond me.

Kind of a stupidly pointless law.

wjc
10-06-2011, 2:24 PM
I'm getting Deja Vu here...

crackerman
10-06-2011, 3:03 PM
ohh ohh, This could be fun. Their might actually be a city council meeting I could attend.

wash
10-06-2011, 3:29 PM
Azusa, it's time to step up.

You've got to get someone to go through the city council minutes and video to see the process used to pass these changes.

Once you've got a picture of that, post it here and some people can figure out if there were Brown Act violations.

You might want to get a few people monitoring the city council meetings on a regular basis too.

Librarian
10-06-2011, 3:31 PM
The planning commission public hearing was Sept 14; the agenda item (http://www.ci.azusa.ca.us/archives/48/Agenda%2009-14-11draftFinal_1.pdf) was 1. Zoning Code Amendment 233 – 2011 Development Code Cleanup
Applicant: City of Azusa Address: Citywide
Staff recommends that the City of Azusa Planning Commission open the public hearing, accept testimony, and adopt a resolution recommending that the City Council approve Development Code Amendment 233.

Here's the staff recommendation (http://www.ci.azusa.ca.us/documents/City%20Council%20Agenda%20Packets%202011/10-03-2011/C-1%20Pub%20Hrg%20Code%20Amend%20Dev%20Code.PDF) to the City Council.

Commercial zoning, 500 feet from schools and churches and other firearms businesses, cannot abut residential.

Apparently the city council already voted this: October 3 (http://www.ci.azusa.ca.us/archives/30/qOctober%203,%202011.pdf) PUBLIC HEARING - CODE AMENDMENT NUMBER 233 - A CITY INITIATED REQUEST TO AMEND VARIOUS SECTIONS OF CHAPTER 88,“DEVELOPMENT CODE, MARCH 2005” (2005 CODE) OF THE CITY OF AZUSA MUNICIPAL CODE REGARDING TATTOO/BODY PIERCING USES, FIREARM SALES, FRONTAGE TYPE REQUIREMENTS, PARKING RELIEF, MATERIAL RECOVERY/RECYCLING FACILITIES.
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Open the Public Hearing; receive testimony, close the Public Hearing, Waive further reading and introduce
the proposed Ordinance, amending Chapter 88 of the City of Azusa Municipal Code.

Perhaps procedure is introduce at one meeting, vote at a later one, but I don't know.

For no reason I can determine, the minutes of the meetings are last recorded for Feb 22.

And I just hate the Azusa web site; needlessly complicated and micro-divided.

ScottB
10-06-2011, 3:49 PM
MOA Armory, LLC.
523 N Azusa Ave.
Azusa, CA. 91702 (located on the North bound side of Azusa Ave. between 5th and 6th Street)
We opened our doors late last year and just got our FFL and CFD several months ago. We are in their "Down Town" district and they gave us a long list of conditions that we had to meet in order to sell firearms.

Ahh ... so there are two gun stores in Azusa. I'll have to stop in next time I'm up there :cheers2:

puppy8a9
10-06-2011, 7:53 PM
Ok again this is something where restrictions are being placed on a retail establishment likely due to content. If anybody in this area wishes to jump on this one I will advise on regulations and can show what I did in the other two cities.

We can win these 100% of the time if done correctly but the process is different once a regulation exists. It takes a bit of study and effort but we need to disassemble regulations so none of these stand due to longevity in the courts.

We have a couple of cities with this factor if we do not do something about this. One city I would like to start researching and remove but we need others who can learn regulation and what can be done using regulatory violations by cities.

Pleasant Hill and Sunnyvale were both different though I could have approached them the same. Pleasant Hill formed an illegal committee (ad-hoc) and violated the Brown Act and Government Codes to name a couple. Both violated the level of power granted to regulate by cities (abuse of powers). Sunnyvale had various Brown Act, Government Code and Business and Professions code issues. Public disclosure that is required through public transparencies/ gov code and public service ethics were present. FPPC also had some play in the background with both cities.

Ultimately I had Sunnyvale on 4 serious violations. Pleasant Hill far more violations which I promised to not disclose as long as we have fairness and they leave my gun dealers alone. I did spend some backdoor time after to ensure it never happens again. You bother us in areas that I can reach here and still get the kids from school on time you have me to deal with. Believe it or not I am being very nice for the sake of the gun dealers but the time it takes to be nice annoys me.

Now we need teams in 4 areas in CA and ways to reimburse for expenses to be functional. I would gladly work with people to teach them what I have been doing for years as long as they are on the right side.

I have been at this 21 years, I feel like I should be back consulting attorneys on how to use this stuff. Remember, anybody or anything that receives state or federal money has a regulatory body. Each regulatory body has a way for the public to learn how they function. Spend some time at seminars and public meetings or volunteer as part of the public input component of these systems and you will get really good at this.

In the end it is annoying to see the abuses that happen.

puppy8a9
10-06-2011, 7:55 PM
"Commercial zoning, 500 feet from schools and churches and other firearms businesses, cannot abut residential."

Ok this is a problem for gun dealers that operate two business licenses out of the same store. Pleasant Hill has a gunsmith and an FFL and a Firearms Dealer ext which would create problems. There are other issues that come into play here if anything ever happens or it sells. Grrr/ annoying

MOA Armory
10-08-2011, 8:45 AM
Ahh ... so there are two gun stores in Azusa. I'll have to stop in next time I'm up there :cheers2:

Please do stop by. Love to meet Calguns members in person when they visit our shop.

bubbagump
10-08-2011, 8:52 AM
I bet AndrewMendez would love to hear about this...

They are only doing this because of MOA Armory. Not Cool.

AndrewMendez
10-08-2011, 2:01 PM
MOA,
I stopped by your shop when you guys first opened and talked with you guys....looks like its time for another stop. I will swing by this week.

puppy, I am interested in what information you have.

Another thing that popped into my head that came up many moons ago, was the city does not allow sales of ammunition within 4 days of the 4th of July or a week before new Years day, or something along those lines. We could easily tackle both of these at the same time. I will be at the next meeting, for anyone who wants to join me.

bubbagump, thanks for the heads up. Come with me to the meeting if your free, you can be my wing man.

bubbagump
10-08-2011, 8:17 PM
MOA,
I stopped by your shop when you guys first opened and talked with you guys....looks like its time for another stop. I will swing by this week.

puppy, I am interested in what information you have.

Another thing that popped into my head that came up many moons ago, was the city does not allow sales of ammunition within 4 days of the 4th of July or a week before new Years day, or something along those lines. We could easily tackle both of these at the same time. I will be at the next meeting, for anyone who wants to join me.

bubbagump, thanks for the heads up. Come with me to the meeting if your free, you can be my wing man.

Copy That. Just let me know when!

MOA Armory
10-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Another thing that popped into my head that came up many moons ago, was the city does not allow sales of ammunition within 4 days of the 4th of July or a week before new Years day, or something along those lines.

It is 7 days before

1 4th of July

2 Cinco de Mayo

3 New years day

bigcalidave
10-09-2011, 11:54 AM
It is 7 days before

1 4th of July

2 Cinco de Mayo

3 New years day

Wow, that was well thought out. That must stop TONS of deaths each year, right?

AndrewMendez
10-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Man, what a joke. I will dig some...we will figure this out.

I have an investor who wants to purchase a commercial lot, to open a strip club in Azusa....this could be a damn fantastic time to bring everything to the table.

Anchors
10-10-2011, 12:59 AM
It is 7 days before

1 4th of July

2 Cinco de Mayo

3 New years day

Dang, that is crazy...

RedFord150
10-10-2011, 9:45 AM
I have an investor who wants to purchase a commercial lot, to open a strip club in Azusa........

There was a strip club in Azusa many years ago. It was the 'Shangri La', located on North side of Arrow Hwy, just East of Azusa Ave. The building was demolished awhile ago.
I am not sure if the city chased them out or they just closed down. You might have your client check into the history before he puts down any money. The city may already have a vendetta against these types of businesses and carefully crafted some city ordinances to make sure they can always close them down.

RedFord150
10-10-2011, 9:46 AM
Please do stop by. Love to meet Calguns members in person when they visit our shop.

How late are you open?

MOA Armory
10-10-2011, 1:03 PM
How late are you open?

Here are our new store hours:

Tues. & Wed. - Closed
Mon. Thurs. Fri. - 11AM-7PM
Sat. & Sun. - 8AM-4PM

Wherryj
10-11-2011, 7:36 AM
Wow, that was well thought out. That must stop TONS of deaths each year, right?

Well, obviously because NO ONE can plan more than 7 days in advance-or keep ammunition without immediately firing it.

AndrewMendez
10-15-2011, 3:46 PM
Just left MOA Armory, its a great little gun store, you guys should really check them out.

It appears that Chuck Michel and his team/NRA are already on it, and have already given the city paperwork on it.

This doesn't mean that a "show of force" is outside of the question though. Look alive SGV residents, we may need you to keep a seat warm to show the presence and who they are not to F**k with. :thumbsup:

moleculo
10-15-2011, 4:02 PM
The city of Azusa got the San Gabriel Valley gun club in Fish Canyon closed down a few years back, which really pissed me off. I had been going there since I was a kid with my dad. I'd be happy to help with any efforts that are needed to keep this city in check.

morrcarr67
10-15-2011, 5:01 PM
MOA Armory, LLC.
523 N Azusa Ave.
Azusa, CA. 91702 (located on the North bound side of Azusa Ave. between 5th and 6th Street)

Did you take over the location that John & Suzie had (J&S Sporting Goods)?

FYI: Where you're @ Azusa Ave only runs North. The street that is running south is San Gabriel Ave :)

AndrewMendez
10-15-2011, 7:54 PM
The city of Azusa got the San Gabriel Valley gun club in Fish Canyon closed down a few years back, which really pissed me off. I had been going there since I was a kid with my dad. I'd be happy to help with any efforts that are needed to keep this city in check.

The home owners on Mirador Street, and the Mountain Cove community were the reason the range was initially bothered. The city did approve it though. IIRC, the NRA was also involved with that one. The card they attempted to play was "We were here first" which is a damn good argument. I don't remember what the specifics of it though.

I will add you to the list.

jigenax
10-16-2011, 3:39 AM
Sounds like it's time for a road trip east.

MOA Armory
10-16-2011, 9:54 AM
Did you take over the location that John & Suzie had (J&S Sporting Goods)?

FYI: Where you're @ Azusa Ave only runs North. The street that is running south is San Gabriel Ave :)

Not exactaly sure where the old J&S used to be located. I do know that there was one next to the pawn shop that used to be on the corner of Foothill and Azusa. There also used to be a shop next to Dick's Auto just off the 210 and Azusa.

Yea, Azusa Ave. only runs North (one way) North of the 210. We are on the West (left) side of the street. Original post edited. :)

morrcarr67
10-16-2011, 5:54 PM
Not exactaly sure where the old J&S used to be located. I do know that there was one next to the pawn shop that used to be on the corner of Foothill and Azusa. There also used to be a shop next to Dick's Auto just off the 210 and Azusa.

Yea, Azusa Ave. only runs North (one way) North of the 210. We are on the West (left) side of the street. Original post edited. :)

There used to be 3 guns stores in Azusa.

Azusa Gun Store used to be on the corner of Azusa and Arrow Hwy where Outback Steak House is. They moved north of the 210 fwy by about 1.5 miles near an appliance store on the east side of Azusa Ave.

John & Suzie's shop was in the long building north of 6th St on Azusa Ave. I believe it was the second & third shops from the south of the building.

Wimpy's Pawn Shop; still in Azusa but not dealing in guns, was on the east side of Azusa Ave where that empty field now sits.

pennys dad
10-17-2011, 10:38 AM
CRPA Email Flash

City Of Azusa To Vote On Ordinance That Would Put Gun Stores Out of Business

10/17/11

At its October 3, 2011 meeting, the City Council for the City of Azusa passed on first reading Code Amendment 233, which will effectively zone out at least some of the city's several firearm vendors. With regard to firearm vendors, Code Amendment 233 would, among other things, prohibit firearm vendors from being 500 feet from any school, church, or other firearm vendor, prohibit firearm stores from being in or abutting residentially zoned areas, and create revised standards for firearm sales that "will be more restrictive than they are currently."

Attorneys for the NRA-CRPA Local Ordinance Project have submitted a letter to the City Council addressing the legal ramifications of Code Amendment 233's provisions, explaining that they violate various constitutional principles and should not be adopted.

The proposed ordinance will soon come before the City Council on second reading for potential adoption today at 7:30pm at the Azusa Civic Auditorium, 213 E. Foothill Blvd.

All NRA and CRPA, as well as all freedom loving people, are encouraged to attend and respectfully, but forcefully, voice their opposition to the Azusa City Council's adoption of this unreasonable attack on lawful businesses that are the purveyors of our right to arms.

If you are not able to attend, please E-mail all the members of the Azusa City Council. Please be respectful but firm in your comments. The more people that voice their outrage, the more difficult it is for them to ignore us.

There is still time to help defeat the adoption of this ordinance, and the NRA-CRPA Local Ordinance Project, along with your help, plans to do just that.

Below is the contact information for for the Azusa City Council.

Mayor Joseph R. Rocha:

jrocha@ci.azusa.ca.us

(626) 334-1582

Council Member Angel Carillo:

acarrillo@ci.azusa.ca.us

(626) 633-0520

Mayor Pro-Tem Keith Hanks:

khanks@ci.azusa.ca.us

(626) 334-5056

Council Member Uriel E. Macias:

umacias@ci.azusa.ca.us
(626) 625-9218

Council Member Robert Gonzales:

robertgonzales@ci.azusa.ca.us

(626) 945-9280

AndrewMendez
10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Alright I'm at work on my cell phone...but lets plan on meeting at the Azusa Meeting TONIGHT!! More info to follow...

pennys dad
10-17-2011, 11:13 AM
follow the link: http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=489627

vincewarde
10-17-2011, 11:54 AM
As a retired pastor, I have experience with another constitutionally protected use: Religious meetings. Many years ago, I served a church in Antioch. I had to work with zoning/planning because we were opening an office/classroom in a storefront near the theater where we worshiped.

I had no problems - but while I was in the planning office one day, a staff member told me that the city council had passed a new ordinance prohibiting any new religious assemblies downtown. Non-religious assemblies were just fine. I was shocked and asked to speak to the head of planning. He was very supportive. His position was that he would rather have a church in a storefront than see the building empty. When demand picked up, he figured (correctly) that churches would be priced out and business would move in. Seeing that he was supportive, I asked him if the City Attorney knew about this. He said that he would call him and ask for and opinion.

Apparently, the City Attorney said something like, "The city council did WHAT?", because the city council reversed their action within a week.

So, in what ways can a city control constitutionally protected uses?

Well, they MAY be able to zone them out of residential areas. Many cities, including Pleasant Hill, have tried to ban home Bible Studies - or at least regulate them - in residential areas, while not regulating non-religious gatherings. The last time I heard, the issue had not been decided by the courts.

They also can require a use permit. In this process they can require that you have enough off street parking, etc. My guess is that they could require gun stores to submit a security plan. They would have to be careful not to violate state preemption - which things like licensing employees could very well do, since the state already requires a COE.

What, IMHO, they cannot do is single out gun stores for "special regulation", and this appears to be exactly what Azuza is trying to do. Clearly gun store must be allowed to operate in any area zoned for business. The only exception might be areas covered by the gun free schools act.

I live in Northern CA, but I sure encourage those in Southern CA to show up and put Azuza on notice that what they are doing may very well result in expensive legal action that they probably will loose.

MOA Armory
10-18-2011, 12:27 PM
I would like to thank all those who showed up to the city meeting and everyone for your support. As well as all organizations that helped in this matter. I will try to keep attending the meetings in Azusa and notify every one of any changes that would affect us.
Again, thank you all for the support!

Librarian
10-18-2011, 2:03 PM
I'll close this one, and leave the other Azusa thread open for followup and possible further developments.