PDA

View Full Version : Competetive .22 Pistol Question

thunderbolt
10-06-2011, 11:38 AM
I've started shooting competetive pistol and I'm in need of a good .22 pistol. I was using a Neos but I sold it because the sights were inadequite for the task IMO (though I loved it dearly). I'm pretty much decided on a Buckmark over a Ruger becuase it fits my hand better and is much easier to clean but my question has to do with the new batch of 1911 22's. My other pistol is a 1911 and it would be nice to have the same ergonomics but what about accuracy? Would say a GSG or a Browning 1911-22 be as accurate as a mid to high priced Buckmark/Ruger? Assuming I'm a decent shot what kind of groups could you get out of one at 25/50 yrds? Thanks.

mrboma
10-06-2011, 2:57 PM
Although I have never competed with it, I love my Sig Trailside. Never had a jam and shots MUCH more accurately than I do. Might be worth a look. You will have to purchase it under the Olympic Exemption thingy-ma-bobber, which is no big deal, but should be mentioned.

The test target that came with mine was one raggy hole (5 shots) @ 25 meters.

Regards,
Mike

wu_dot_com
10-06-2011, 3:51 PM
try the benelli MP90s if you want some budget yet serious competition pistol. if not the MP95 will be a good choice too.

IZH 35M will also be a good choice. but the parts support is much smaller.

shinbone
10-06-2011, 6:10 PM
What discipline are you talking about?

orangeusa
10-06-2011, 6:25 PM
S&W 41 or Beretta 97?

Rust
10-06-2011, 8:21 PM
Marvel conversion for your 1911?

thunderbolt
10-06-2011, 8:37 PM
I'm not that into competing yet to justify that kind of cost. Just been doing some local stuff trying to get better and I'm fairly certain that I'd like a stand alone platform though the Marvel kit looks interesting. Plus I'd also like this to be my ol reliable plinker. So are the new 1911 .22s as accurate and reliable as the tried and true Buckmark?

beerjman
10-08-2011, 2:53 AM
I've started shooting competetive pistol and I'm in need of a good .22 pistol. I was using a Neos but I sold it because the sights were inadequite for the task IMO (though I loved it dearly). I'm pretty much decided on a Buckmark over a Ruger becuase it fits my hand better and is much easier to clean but my question has to do with the new batch of 1911 22's. My other pistol is a 1911 and it would be nice to have the same ergonomics but what about accuracy? Would say a GSG or a Browning 1911-22 be as accurate as a mid to high priced Buckmark/Ruger? Assuming I'm a decent shot what kind of groups could you get out of one at 25/50 yrds? Thanks.

If you want to compete in Bullseye type matches i.e 2700 match,
the answer is - High Standard or S&W M41 and that is it .

BDH
10-08-2011, 8:42 AM
Marvel conversion on a 1911 frame or a Model 41. I use a Ruger MkI 512 but don't mind the grip angle. The 1911 .22s are plinkers, to my knowledge, there are no commercial match 1911s. The Browning is 85% of standard size, and the GSG is a plinker as well. I don't think either would match the Buckmark or the Ruger. I agree with Rust. The Marvel conversion is super accurate and very comfortable to shoot. Wish I hadn't sold mine.

In most cases with match pistols, you get what you pay for. Visit some of the other .22 or bullseye sites and see what's being said. Some love the Buckmark, some the Ruger or the Model 41. All three have aftermarket barrels made by custom makers.

The major problem with the Marvel is that you have to cannibalize a Colt-framed gun to get the lower. Bare frames are not on the "list" for California. You'll also need a good trigger job on the lower. There are custom grips for all the models, but you may have to modify them to suit your comfort level. On my Ruger, I use grip panels from 2 different makers. I don't care what they look like, I want the comfort and fit.

Good luck with your search.
Bruce