PDA

View Full Version : Unedcated in gun laws = possible felon!

DirtFarmer916
10-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Uneducated=felon??

Maybe this will help someone, luckily I found out what I did wrong before it was too late!

A little background for ya. Recently I purchased an AR15 at a local gun store. Well during my 10 day wait period I went to the store almost every other day. It was my first big purchase and I was super excited to get my new gun home. I kept buying little things like a gun case, ammo, etc.

Once I purchased the gun I created an account here and started reading up on the gun laws. I don’t have a criminal record so making sure I keep it that way is pretty important to me. However I know I’m not an expert in gun laws but I knew some of the basic stuff. Like 10 round mags and having a bullet button is required in CA.

The dirty!!
So I was in the shop a few days before picking up my new rifle talking with another local firearm enthusiast. He was in the middle of making a purchase. The girl helping us was going over the features of the gun (an AR15 similar to mine), including reviewing the bullet button. When the customer heard this he was a little shocked, “a what?” he said. So she explained what and why it was on the CA compliant gun. After seeing his reaction she prompted to show him a “tool” he could use to help release the mags. It was small, had a magnet and would stay attached to your gun. It was just a little thing. But due to the magnet it worked like a regular mag release would…

I chimed in saying isn’t it illegal in CA?? She said no, she then proceeded to tell me that it’s not permanently attached and is considered a tool. She said the one thing I need to be careful with is transporting a rifle with this attached is against the law but as long as I didn’t transport it with the tool attached I was alright. So I bought one, going home thinking I had a neat little tool to use when I got my rifle.

Fast forward about a week. As I learned more and more about the rifle I got curious about what other options or upgrades are available. I started going to other local shops to see what they had to offer. Well I come across a very small shop where the store owner spent some time with me going over different things I could do. Really smart guy, seemed to know his business very well. One thing leads to another and he finds out I purchased one of these “tools”. As soon as he realizes this he gets a different look to him, immediately letting me know to get rid of the item and that if I put it on my gun I would then have an assault weapon which is a felony in CA.

Needless to say I was pissed. I went home and pulled the tool out. Sure enough it says on the package that it’s illegal in CA and the purpose of the tool was to be used when out of California on guns that have a bullet button. I was flaming at this point. How could I just trust someone when it comes to my livelihood? I mean I risked being a felon, it really hit me hard. I was not being proactive enough to protect myself. I didn’t even read the package, of course the text was pretty small and on the back but I never read that type of stuff….well now I will!

I have not contacted the gun shop that sold me the tool. I’m not sure what to do other than inform family and friends to avoid this. Like I stated before, I am not a criminal and I don’t ever want to be one. I live within the law and will continue to do so.

So I guess I didn’t quite understand that being a gun owner meant you had to he educated as well. That if you simply just go on the words of another that you are at risk. Watch out folks, people will sell you anything. Including an extended stay at one of our fine correctional facilities.

I will not be going back to this shop again!! Should I do anything about it or is this just how some shops operate?

Glock_fanboy
10-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Not trying to be a dick but you actually trusted what someone said in a gun store without actually knowing the person is knowledgable/reputable? I would never take someones word on something like that unless I knew they absolutely knew what they were talking about... And even then it doesn't hurt to check on here.

Threads pop up all the time with info/questions regarding laws... A lot of the time the OP was told FUD. Quite a few people aren't as knowledgable with firearm laws as you would think (even some gun store employees).

Not to say you shouldn't trust people, but it's good to check yourself IMHO

Merc1138
10-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Not trying to be a dick but you actually trusted what someone said in a gun store without actually knowing the person is knowledgable/reputable? I would never take someones word on something like that unless I knew they absolutely knew what they were talking about... And even then it doesn't hurt to check on here.

Threads pop up all the time with info/questions regarding laws... A lot of the time the OP was told FUD. Quite a few people aren't as knowledgable with firearm laws as you would think (even some gun store employees).

Not to say you shouldn't trust people, but it's good to check yourself IMHO

Actually, it's not unreasonable for someone new to guns to assume that a gun shop clerk would know enough to keep their customers out of jail so they can keep buying more stuff.

Now those of us who have more experience have learned otherwise.

Afterall, when you go to a bicycle shop the staff usually knows about bicycle laws or at least won't give you bad advice that risks making you a criminal. Yet gun shops... there are a number of reasons why gun shop employees are wrong.

Dr Rockso
10-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Sounds like a MagMagnet...there's been drama on that front before. Like you mentioned the fine print does (correctly) state that it is illegal to use on a centerfire semi-auto rifle with 'evil features' while in CA, but they seem to be recklessly (perhaps intentionally) misleading newbs into thinking that it's a valid 'tool' for activating the magazine latch on a bullet buttoned rifle.

Big thread here:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=238857

mossy
10-06-2011, 10:45 AM
your falt for trusting the gun shop girl without knowing the laws yourself. just because someone works in a gun shop does not mean they know the law. i spent a few months learning all the hoops and pitfalls of CA weapons laws before i got into the black rifle game and bought my first AR.

redking
10-06-2011, 10:51 AM
I've always thought it would be useful to have a tool attached to the tip of a finger to the bullet button...

Magnet is clever, but cops and judges are stupid....

Which Way Out
10-06-2011, 11:04 AM
CalGuns is your friend. Read, read, read and then read what the better known guys say in there post. You will see a lot of talk about this and that, some FUD and then the honest truth by the experinced Lawyers types on here.
I have learned a lot and can't say I am fool proof. So becareful.
One more thing. You never put that item on your gun RIGHT ;)

crazy
10-06-2011, 11:26 AM
The laws do not accept excuses or explanations for mistakes or fault: the Code was openly displayed for all to see, so no man could plead ignorance of the law as an excuse.

Code of Hammurabi. Look it up. Stop looking at boobs and pay attention to what you're buying, especially when it's for an evil black rifle in California.

http://www.crystalinks.com/babylonia.html

P.S. A gun shop is the last place to find out about gun laws. They are wrong at least half of the time.

robcoe
10-06-2011, 11:30 AM
And that's why, when I built my AR, I ran the permutations through the flowchart before I bought any parts, didn't want to put it together and then find out "oops, I'm a felon", and why I always read the fine print.

djleisure
10-06-2011, 12:11 PM
I've always thought it would be useful to have a tool attached to the tip of a finger to the bullet button...

It is, it's called the GPik.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af189/dj_leisure/GPik/IMG_0189.jpg

To the OP, you can always keep the little magnet thingy handy for when you go out of state or attach a rimfire upper or new-world order w/ zombie overlords.

http://inlinethumb34.webshots.com/17057/2613465330104322648S600x600Q85.jpg

Shellshocker66
10-06-2011, 12:31 PM
I pretty much equate what I hear in a gun shop to car sale's. Someone might tell you anything to make a deal!

I've heard some pretty crazy stuff from people who worked in gun shops, but most of it was back in the 80's and 90's. Seems most of my local stores are pretty good about keeping ahead of the laws now and not spreading a lot of FUD.

sl4ck3r
10-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Post a review on yelp and reveal to us what the gun shop was / location.

stix213
10-06-2011, 1:07 PM
Yes, reveal the gun shop. Someone should contact them and inform them that they are making their customers potential felons. Really that shop should contact everyone they sold an AR & mag magnet to and tell them its not legal for normal CA use.

a1c
10-06-2011, 1:09 PM
I wish everybody working behind the counter of a FFL01 would have to receive some sort of mandatory training in order to be able to do their job. I don't care how big government that is, it would just save us a lot of drama, and most likely seriously improve the quality of service you get in gun shops.

Fortunately the ones I go to regularly are either manned with savvy former LEOs, or guys who are very knowledgeable about the law. I never went back to the shops where I got FUD, like the idiot who told me my wife's AR was illegal in California.

unusedusername
10-06-2011, 1:30 PM
ah, yes. MagMagnet.The felony button tool.

That has been going around for a while now. The manufacturer does not "get it" that their advertising is causing a lot of people to not understand that using it in any way at all in the state causes the creation of an AW.

The tool can not have a bias to attach to the rifle, or it becomes part of the rifle.

cannon
10-06-2011, 2:11 PM
Hey DirtFarmer916,

Welcome to guns and the legal gun learning curve. :D

I don't blame you for believing what the selling store counter person told you. You logically assumed they knew what they were talking about but now you know better.

It's not always easy getting the straight info on gun laws. Ask a question here and you'll get more than one answer. Sometimes all those answers are even correct. Read the flow charts, ask questions and pretty soon you'll know enough to stay out of trouble.

That second shop you went to where the guy took his time and answered your questions. That's the place you should shop. That guy gave you his time to save you from doing time. What is the name of that place. He's the kinda guy I like buying from.

SocomM4
10-06-2011, 2:22 PM
I chimed in saying isn’t it illegal in CA?? She said no, she then proceeded to tell me that it’s not permanently attached and is considered a tool. She said the one thing I need to be careful with is transporting a rifle with this attached is against the law

Translated to "gun shop"-

"Shucks it's only illegal if they ketch ya with it"

That tool is a pos anyway, I took it with me out of state and when I got out there, i walked by one bush and it was gone forever.

If you are looking for something like that for out of states trips, just get a wonder wrench . It IS actually a tool for installing and removing the BB . Screws onto the shaft of the mag catch and won't fall off . Plus it's bright anodized red so you won't forget it's on there and head back home .