PDA

View Full Version : Prepared but fun-loving

BodyPiercingByColt
10-06-2011, 10:26 AM
I don't see myself having the funds to be a collector of expensive firearms any time soon.
That being said, I and the rest of my firearm-loving family enjoy having, shooting, or borrowing many different guns and calibers. Personally, 7.62x25 Tokarev is my third-favorite handgun round (after .40 S&W and .45 ACP).

This seems to complement my view of personal defense and SHTF. I believe that I should carry and drill with a gun and corresponding caliber which I am comfortable, confident, and competent with for personal defense. I also believe that the caliber I use should be common enough to where I can easily get more should I run out after IT hits the fan.

Still, I can't bring myself to put enough trust in always somehow obtaining the one caliber (whether for my 12 ga, my .308, my .45, etc) if, God forbid, the order of the country or the world were to collapse.

Which brings me to my query. How many others here have (or think it wise to have) something along these lines for when they bug-out:
Two .40 S&W Glocks
Two .45 ACP Para Ordinance 1911s
Two .223 Win. M-16s
Two 6.8 SPC Barrett REC7s

I say two, or even three, of each not just for if my girlfriend is with me or the barrel starts overheating, but also for spare parts.
These are what I'd take with me, and excludes any of my "fun" guns like my CZ-52 or CZ-75 (Tokarev isn't common enough, and I don't trust 9mm for "stopping power").

I realize the weight (of ammo/guns themselves) might be excessive, and that I'd have to carry other things like water, but this seems to make sense to me.
Thoughts?

Flintlock Tom
10-06-2011, 1:50 PM
Wouldn't the .40 and the .45 serve the same purpose? Why take both?

BodyPiercingByColt
10-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Wouldn't the .40 and the .45 serve the same purpose? Why take both?

Because I believe in both, but don't think that, if I run out of a caliber, I'll always be able to find one caliber or another after an extended period of time in a WROL situation. The same reason for having the guns in .223 and 6.8.

But is that something that others worry about? Or should I just focus on procuring one or the other?

Lucky Scott
10-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Seems like a lot for bugging out. Staying put, sure, no problem. But that is a lot of stuff to carry around.
I would carry less guns and more ammo, food, water.

Shooter79
10-09-2011, 11:29 AM
That is a LOT of stuff to be carrying in a bug out situation. My wife and I actually both got Glocks of the same caliber so that we can carry more magazine without having to carry more weapons. Now as to what we have at home for buggining in...a little of everything. :)

XYZ
10-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Which brings me to my query. How many others here have (or think it wise to have) something along these lines for when they bug-out:
Two .40 S&W Glocks
Two .45 ACP Para Ordinance 1911s
Two .223 Win. M-16s
Two 6.8 SPC Barrett REC7s

I realize the weight (of ammo/guns themselves) might be excessive, and that I'd have to carry other things like water, but this seems to make sense to me.
Thoughts?

The best thing to do is to go on a three day hike with what you want to take and then readjust based on your experience. Water, food, firearms and ammo are very heavy after awhile especially if you're bugging out and carrying all that redundancy with you - IMHO.

BodyPiercingByColt
10-09-2011, 1:00 PM
The best thing to do is to go on a three day hike with what you want to take and then readjust based on your experience. Water, food, firearms and ammo are very heavy after awhile especially if you're bugging out and carrying all that redundancy with you - IMHO.

I thank everyone for their opinions. What's more is that I agree with them.:eek: That's why I asked my question. That, and the fact that I have read Duncan Long's "Backpack Fever." I just don't know how to satisfy my fear of running out of ammo after the balloon goes up.

I suppose that I should just stick with the .45s and the 6.8s and simply stockpile their ammo (and their reloading components :D).

Maddog5150
10-09-2011, 1:54 PM
I like the idea of two of every kind. Like Noahs Ark! Through selective breeding you can have more firearms

Maddog5150
10-09-2011, 1:59 PM
I thank everyone for their opinions. What's more is that I agree with them.:eek: That's why I asked my question. That, and the fact that I have read Duncan Long's "Backpack Fever." I just don't know how to satisfy my fear of running out of ammo after the balloon goes up.
I suppose that I should just stick with the .45s and the 6.8s and simply stockpile their ammo (and their reloading components :D).

:rofl: How much ammo do you think you're going to need? How many sustained firefights do you plan to get into as you romantically hump your four rifles and four handguns into the sunset?

cudakidd
10-09-2011, 2:02 PM
I plan to "Bug In" but IF I were to go, I do have a bug out bag prepped. Ammo and the guns is way down on the list, more important are all the items necessary to actually stay alive and comfortable, check out the bug out bag list on the Survival forum to see.

Having said that, if a bug out does happen, a .357 for me, one for the wife. Then a 20 gauge 870 for her, 12 for me. real basics, I don't plan to get into firefights and my Scenario to plan for happens to be Earthquake.