PDA

View Full Version : Stockton #7 on Most Dangerous City list

RoyBatty
10-06-2011, 9:00 AM
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111006/A_NEWS/110060321&cid=dmc

Up from #10 last year...only California city on the list..

Ziggy91
10-06-2011, 9:05 AM
Sounds like FUD to me...

Where the hell is Oakland, Fresno, or even LA?

movie zombie
10-06-2011, 9:05 AM
stockton has a long history of being a most dangerous city.........

Ziggy91
10-06-2011, 9:13 AM
stockton has a long history of being a most dangerous city.........

I've seriously never heard of anything crime related in Stockton, and I live about an hour or so away. Maybe the Bay Area news doesn't cover anything there so that might be the issue.

But seriously, where's the rest?

awall919
10-06-2011, 9:15 AM
There are some nasty places in Stockton.

G60
10-06-2011, 9:25 AM
Fresno isn't even that bad.

RoyBatty
10-06-2011, 9:31 AM
Not any of the major news channels covers any of the violence..Stockton was the birthplace of Roberti-Roos..a nutjob shot up an elementary school with an AK

Cali-Shooter
10-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Not any of the major news channels covers any of the violence..Stockton was the birthplace of Roberti-Roos..a nutjob shot up an elementary school with an AK

And the citizenry gets punished for that... awesome job, CA politicians :rolleyes:

POLICESTATE
10-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Only 6 more spots to go to #1.

California always seem to be in the top 10 for something bad.

Heatseeker
10-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I wonder if Sheriff Moore has read that article?

caoboy
10-06-2011, 11:00 AM
How skewed is this document? How are they ranking it? Violence per square mile? Population versus crime rate? Statistics are only made to benefit one side, they are always skewed in some way.

darkwater
10-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Stockton was #1 in 2005 on the Forbes list of highest crime rates. The Wikipedia article on Stockton mentions the San Joaquin County DA in 2009 pointing to Stockton's central location in CA and proximity to I-5 that make it a hub for drug cartels running between Mexico, Seattle and Canada.

morfeeis
10-06-2011, 11:05 AM

California always seem to be in the top 10 for something bad.
our top import is idiots

darkwater
10-06-2011, 11:08 AM
How skewed is this document? How are they ranking it? Violence per square mile? Population versus crime rate? Statistics are only made to benefit one side, they are always skewed in some way.

Usually, they measure it as # of crimes per 100,000 people, so it's a ratio. Bigger cities like LA may beat Stockton in total #s of crimes, but as a percentage of the population, they can end up with a smaller ratio.

cmaynes
10-06-2011, 11:12 AM
would living there be good cause for CCW? sure seems like a reasonable thing to me....

Gryff
10-06-2011, 11:13 AM
I've seriously never heard of anything crime related in Stockton, and I live about an hour or so away. Maybe the Bay Area news doesn't cover anything there so that might be the issue.

There you go. Most people who grew up/live in the Bay Area know very little about the Central Valley.

Stockton is quite the little **** hole of a city. There are some decent areas, but the violence bleeds over from the areas that are completely ****ing scary.

I grew up there, and have two lovely little knife-shaped scars on my body as a result. And I was the nice, whitebread, middle class kid who never looked for trouble. My first one was the first week of 7th Grade (ah...Webster Middle School...how we miss you). That same week, my best friend had a knife put to his throat for his lunch money.

Several years later, a female friend was abducted from an ATM in Lincoln Village West (at the time, one of the best parts of the city). She was robbed and dumped, but only by the grace of god was she not raped and murdered.

Stockton...the jewel of the Delta.

bruss01
10-06-2011, 11:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksDuf0Q88E4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnwjb226q9Y

Oh yeah, it's documented. Takes some mad survival skills to make it there.

Rugerdaddy
10-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Holy CRAP! I'm actually leaving for a meeting in Stockton 45 minutes from now! I'll be carrying, but if I don't make it home, I just want you all to know that it's been great knowing you. I would appreciate just one of you at my funeral, and I'd like the pipes to play "Highland Cathedral", please. Thanks again. And goodbye....:(

ShooterDK
10-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Dang! My house is going to drop another $5K in value...

Window_Seat
10-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Is there a list somewhere? I would think there would be a list posted somewhere on the web...

Erik.

ShooterDK
10-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Link to Forbes article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngiuffo/2011/10/03/americas-most-dangerous-cities/

GWbiker
10-06-2011, 12:54 PM
It's clear that Stockton needs more gun control legislation...

/sarcasm.

wildhawker
10-06-2011, 1:04 PM
Too bad Sheriff Moore thinks only bags of money are worth saving.

-Brandon

Heatseeker
10-06-2011, 1:09 PM
Too bad Sheriff Moore thinks only bags of money are worth saving.

-Brandon
+1 on that.

a1c
10-06-2011, 1:10 PM
Sounds like FUD to me...

Look at the selection criteria.

Here is the original story (rather than a story on the story):
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngiuffo/2011/10/03/americas-most-dangerous-cities/

To compile our list of America’s most dangerous cities, we used the FBI’s uniform crime report for 2010, which tallies crime data for each of the country’s metropolitan statistical areas, regions that usually consist of a large city and its suburbs or clusters of closely linked smaller cities, and metropolitan divisions, which are core areas within some of the larger MSAs. Because small fluctuations in crime numbers can produce outsize jumps in rates in smaller metropolitan areas, we looked at MSAs with a population of 200,000 or more. We used the FBI’s numbers for four categories of violent crimes: murder and non-negligent manslaughter; forcible rape; robbery; and aggravated assault.

Flopper
10-06-2011, 2:50 PM

LOL, seriously?

I can see someone in Socal or the extreme north of the state not knowing this, but a resident of Livermore??

Stockton is well-known to be the anus of the Central Valley, if not all of CA.

ShooterDK
10-06-2011, 3:10 PM

Stockton's just feeling the love today, thanks!:winkiss:

darkwater
10-06-2011, 3:11 PM
I would appreciate just one of you at my funeral, and I'd like the pipes to play "Highland Cathedral", please. Thanks again. And goodbye....:(

That's a great tune, would love to hear it live...but not at your funeral...be safe!

Gryff
10-06-2011, 4:42 PM
I've seriously never heard of anything crime related in Stockton

The assault weapon ban is due to an incident in Stockton where a psychopath walked on to an elementary school playground and started killing kids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_School_massacre

Here are some other fun times:

http://centralstockton.news10.net/news/news/gunman-sought-stockton-killing/78645

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100412/A_NEWS/100419982

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110913/A_NEWS/109130321&cid=mmc

And about 20 years years ago, a high school classmate was killed by gang bangers. She saw a car driving at night with its lights off, so she flashed hers to let them know. She didn't know that some of the gangs were doing a new form of initiation for their new members. Drive with your lights off, and then do a drive-by on the first car that flashes you. My former classmate took multiple rounds to the head and chest as the result of thinking that she was helping another driver.

Ah, Stockton! Someplace special.

Andy Taylor
10-06-2011, 4:48 PM
I spend a good deal of time in Stockton. What surprises me is that it is not in the top two.

Bhobbs
10-06-2011, 4:57 PM

California IS always seem to be in the top 10 for something bad.

California continually is on the top of the lists for worst taxes, least business friendly and others like that.

odysseus
10-06-2011, 5:01 PM
I spend a good deal of time in Stockton. What surprises me is that it is not in the top two.

I hear that a lot from people in and around Stockton.

Wherryj
10-06-2011, 5:11 PM
I was in residency when San Bernardino held the top spot on California's dangerous city list. I didn't see what all of the hoopla was about.

After "only" severely curtailing any unnecessary travel and moving to the Cal State part of town ("right side of the tracks"), I only had one friend knifed in the hospital, one friend's rear window blown out by gunfire while driving down Highland, one friend severely beaten in the parking lot of the local mall and one gun pointed at me while stopped at a street light (I just pretended that I didn't see the gangbanger who did it-I figured he might think that it was great "sport" to shoot at a moving target, and my old Celica wasn't fast enough to outrun the bullets anyway.)

There was also a patient who was shot to death on the hospital ward on Christmas Eve. I guess that they have different traditions in San Berdue..

If anyone thinks that these lists are hyped, or that cities other than LA or Oakland that make the list don't belong there, you just haven't spent enough time there. CA has a lot of festing boils that don't receive a lot of media attention.

Stoic Bacchanal
10-06-2011, 5:14 PM
How in the world is Richmond not on that list? That place is a cesspool of scum and villainy.

a1c
10-06-2011, 5:21 PM
How in the world is Richmond not on that list? That place is a cesspool of scum and villainy.

Because it's not a 200K+ MSA.

Wherryj
10-06-2011, 5:25 PM
LOL, seriously?

I can see someone in Socal or the extreme north of the state not knowing this, but a resident of Livermore??

Yes, Stockton has always had a place up there with Oakland, East Palo Alto, East side San Jose and the other more dangerous parts of NoCal. It doesn't always rank up there with the worst of SoCal, but it is always in the running.

The Geologist
10-06-2011, 7:21 PM
My friends grandfather grew up there (1930s) he said it was a cesspool back then. Guess not much has changed except for the population. Wilson and Charter for example.

Ford8N
10-06-2011, 8:01 PM
When I drove a truck many years ago we were told never stop in Stockton at night, even for stop signs, just roll through them. Seems the scum that infest that town liked to hop in the cab and kill the driver and take the load.

GWbiker
10-06-2011, 9:12 PM
California continually is on the top of the lists for worst taxes, least business friendly and others like that.

The word California is also a topic for amusing conversation whenever Arizona gun owners get together.

Sorry, but true.:)

jmust1991
10-06-2011, 9:29 PM
I grew up on the outskirts of Stockton, thus any groceries, Dr. Appointments, were in Stockton. People that say it is "not that bad" simply have not lived anywhere else. Ask anyone that went to Franklin High School if it was non violent and they will laugh. When I was 18 I would buy my beer at 8th Street/ Charter Way because I didn't know better. Looking back, it was not wise for me to be down there at night, let's just say I didn't fit in when I walked in the store.

Wolfhound9k
10-06-2011, 10:47 PM

You live in the Bay. EVERYBODY who lives in Sacramento KNOWS that Stockton has been in the news almost every week for some kind of deadly homicide... no joke, for the past few months Stockton has been in the news at LEAST once a week with a murder, drive-by, stabbing, etc... sad, but true

Rugerdaddy
10-06-2011, 11:01 PM
The word California is also a topic for amusing conversation whenever Arizona gun owners get together.

Sorry, but true.:)

Oh, yeah!? Oh, yeah!? Well, in Kommiefornia we get together and talk about Arizona and your.....uh.....your....uh.....FUNNY LOOKIN' CACTI! Yeah, that's it! Your funny, goofy, two-big-arms-stickin'-up-in-the-air-like-they're-surrendering-or-being-robbed, funky lookin' CACTI! So how do you like that! HA! You can keep 'em. We don't want your stinkin' cacti coming in our state! So you better watch 'em. Or, else.:gene:

Ford8N
10-07-2011, 3:42 AM

Sorry, but true.:)And California gun owners talk about how they wish they had Arizonas gun laws. ;)

vonderplatz
10-07-2011, 8:02 AM
I grew up in Okie ville off of E. Washington, and went to Franklin HS. Even in the 70's Stockton was known as one of the top crime cites in the US. I started going to Tokay after my Dad saw someone brandishing a gun outside of the school. In the days before school shootings it really was not that big of a deal with most of the kids in my neighborhood at the time.

My older cousin David was murdered in Stockton on July 21, 1973 two weeks after my 9th Birthday, and the guy who did it got less time than Michael Vick, but it seems to me that crime was worse in 70's than it is now, then I don't live in Stockton any more.

Other than that I love Stockton.

Heatseeker
10-07-2011, 8:35 AM
You live in the Bay. EVERYBODY who lives in Sacramento KNOWS that Stockton has been in the news almost every week for some kind of deadly homicide... no joke, for the past few months Stockton has been in the news at LEAST once a week with a murder, drive-by, stabbing, etc... sad, but true
It seems to me that South Sac has it's share of murders/mayhem going on in the news almost daily as well.

Flopper
10-07-2011, 9:53 AM
Stockton's just feeling the love today, thanks!:winkiss:

Sorry man, to be fair I know San Jose has its "fun" parts of town, too. . . it's just that if I lived in Stockton I'd wear body armor every day :D

CycloSteve
10-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Stockton was listed a few years back as the "Epicenter of the Sub-Prime Mortgage Crisis". Seems like more than just violent crime has been going on there for some time.

oddjob
10-07-2011, 11:10 AM
http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-stockton-police-shot-at-while-investigating-other-shooting-20110930,0,4247405.story

Its getting worse too...........

Wolfhound9k
10-08-2011, 8:04 PM
It seems to me that South Sac has it's share of murders/mayhem going on in the news almost daily as well.

Yes, this is true. Some people joke that Sacramento is starting to turn into Stockton, and not in a good way... no wonder the Sac Co. Sheriff's office has a one year wait list for LTC applicants today.... sheesh! :(

Cearbhall
10-08-2011, 8:24 PM
Vallejo's new motto: "We're safer than Stockton.:)"

creekside
10-09-2011, 4:43 AM
Sounds like FUD to me...

Departments smart enough to low-roll their crime stats. :)

Kid Stanislaus
10-09-2011, 5:32 PM

When I was a kid way back in the '50's Stockton had a reputation for being a shooting gallery.

Kid Stanislaus
10-09-2011, 5:33 PM

You picked a poor example. That story was front page from coast to coast.

DiscoBayJoe
10-09-2011, 5:41 PM
Some of my favorite places are technically "Stockton".

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/305267_10150354819006823_563416822_9792548_124189_ n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/317364_10150354753741823_563416822_9791836_7653685 _n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/298589_10150354768721823_563416822_9791993_8319081 _n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/293226_10150337886146823_563416822_9613055_2642313 _n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/223810_10150318790406823_563416822_9404077_4309293 _n.jpg

I don't see what all the fuss is about! :)

Kid Stanislaus
10-09-2011, 5:51 PM

Yep, 'specially the SE part of town.

RoyBatty
10-10-2011, 7:13 AM
Kid..the Cleveland School shooting by P Purdy was not an example of how Stocktone is never in the news..just an example of violence..Stockton also had one of the only examples of movie violence from the movie "Colors" this was well publicized as well..

dls
10-10-2011, 7:26 AM
Some of my favorite places are technically "Stockton".

I don't see what all the fuss is about! :)

Windmill cove,Lost Isle, Ski Beach..

I use to take my Waksetter out there a lot, until the guy got stabbed and killed at lost isle by some Stockton gang banger while I was there with My Wife and some friends.

Andy Taylor
10-10-2011, 7:31 AM
An awful lot of the episodes of "Bait Car" are filmed in Stockton.

Trailboss60
10-10-2011, 7:34 AM
I stopped at a hotel west of the 99 on either march or Hammer lane some years back, couldn't be picky about the hotels since I was in an 18 wheeler, paid for the room saw broken beer bottles on the steps, got into the room, pulled the sheets down, appeared to have faint blood stains, and 9mm sized sheetrock patches...I asked for my money back, and the clerk was pissed...never looked back.

caduckgunner
10-10-2011, 7:49 AM

I live in Stockton until I was 21. It's a first class **** hole. I go back maybe once a year to visit my mom, and even then 2 days is the limit. I spend the money and fly her down to see us. If you don't think Stockton is dangerous, you should go hang out in South Stockton, near Charter Way and Eight St, that will change you tune real quick.

movie zombie
10-10-2011, 8:21 AM
the only thing i miss about stockton is access to the Delta.....

worked out at the airport many years ago. one winter evening got off work at 5p and it was already getting dark. i got a flat tire driving up airport way......decided to ride that puppy even if it damaged the rim to get to charter way before i stopped. not that charter way near that intersection is a "safe" place but certainly safer than where i was driving at the time. east stockton just off highway 99 is no easy bed of roses either.

Trailboss60
12-08-2011, 9:31 PM
Heck with #7...it sounds like Stockton might be #1!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/07/california-city-possibly-breaks-its-homicide-record-1416889615/?test=latestnews

Wherryj
12-09-2011, 7:53 AM

Perhaps if you moved an hour closer to Stockton you might have a better idea?

An hour away is a world of difference. Pleasanton is an hour-and an entire alternate universe-away from Stockton.

Wherryj
12-09-2011, 7:54 AM
Heck with #7...it sounds like Stockton might be #1!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/07/california-city-possibly-breaks-its-homicide-record-1416889615/?test=latestnews

"sits just east of Oakland"??

1BigPea
12-09-2011, 10:34 AM

Common now, really!? How about this...

The city of Stockton, Calif., which sits just east of Oakland, may have had 56 murders in 2011, which means the city could have possibly seen more homicides this year than in any year they have been counted, Fox40.com reports.

Wherryj
12-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Dang! My house is going to drop another $5K in value...

The good news is that you house is still worth at least $5k. That is more than the owners in Mountain House can say.

Wherryj
12-09-2011, 12:49 PM
LOL, seriously?

I wouldn't go so far as to say all of CA. San Bernardino has had some success in holding the top spot as "festering boil on the anus of CA" There are a lot of "wonderful" little cities in this state.

ShooterDK
12-09-2011, 2:20 PM
Another milestone for Stockton, sadly.

ShooterDK
12-11-2011, 7:31 AM
Homicide #57 last night.

DiscoBayJoe
12-11-2011, 7:33 AM
I got to spend some quality time on Wilson Way Friday afternoon. Beautiful City ;)

ShooterDK
12-11-2011, 7:35 AM
I got to spend some quality time on Wilson Way Friday afternoon. Beautiful City ;)

Hookers?

DiscoBayJoe
12-11-2011, 7:43 AM
Hookers?

Not that Quality :S Cisco Switches.

cdtx2001
12-11-2011, 8:15 AM

That's Mos Eisly, and it's a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Richmond is just a shathole, glad I don't live near there anymore.

RoyBatty
12-11-2011, 4:33 PM
http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-stockton-cops-speak-out-in-wake-of-157th-homicide-20111210,0,131535.story

FullAuto
12-11-2011, 5:26 PM
Obv. none of those people have ever spent a minute in San Berdoo. anytime walking around that cesspool of derelicts and scumbags would change their mind. :29:

Purple K
12-11-2011, 7:04 PM

Yep! Patrick Purdy lived in a little flee-bag hotel down the road from me. I just happened to be at Dameron Hospital, visiting Mom, on the day of the Cleveland Elementary School shooting. I've not seen that many ambulances at one place before or since. :(:(:(

farmerjoe
12-11-2011, 7:21 PM
My friends grandfather grew up there (1930s) he said it was a cesspool back then. Guess not much has changed except for the population. Wilson and Charter for example.

My grandmother spent her entire life in the Kingsburg/Hanford area and used to tell us as kids (back in the 1960's) "There's nothing in Stockton or Bakersfield but bedevilment". More things change, the more they stay the same.

Trailboss60
12-17-2011, 7:00 PM
"sits just east of Oakland"??

80 miles or so isn't exactly a long ways is it?