PDA

View Full Version : can we get more off topic?

bubbapug1
10-06-2011, 8:25 AM
why is it every thread turns into a total circle jerk instead of staying on topic?

sima09
10-06-2011, 8:36 AM
I think, and I'm no expert, that the law for featureless does not apply to .22lr (no need for bb), but the law for 10 round magazines applies to ANY mags. If you had the mags before the ban then yes you are good to go, but if you didn't then you're outta luck!

awall919
10-06-2011, 8:41 AM
If you owned the magazines pror the the HI-cap law going into effect (1,1,2000), I dont think those firearms were around back then. . But if it were and you owned the mags legally, than yes you can use them. And a rimfire rifle is exempt from the A.W ban so going featurless is pointless for legal reasons.

If you go and buy some new 30rd mags to use in the gun you will be committing a felony.

WDE91
10-06-2011, 8:42 AM
Umm really??
not to be a dick but you have been on this site a while now

Are you law enforcement?
Was the magazine even produced before the ban?

It would be a little hard to explain a high cap for a weapon that did not even exist before the ban if you are not law enforcement...

BroncoBob
10-06-2011, 8:48 AM
Looks like black dog mags, so I would say that they were not around in 2000 but I may be wrong.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
10-06-2011, 9:35 AM
.22LR box mags fall under the AWCA just like any other magazine. Tube magazines are not affected. Black Dog magazines were not around, but Ciener conversion kit magazines were. If the OP had a Ciener 30-rounder that he legally possessed in CA prior to 2000, he could purchase a Black Dog rebuild kit and rebuild his Ciener into a Black Dog.

bubbapug1
10-06-2011, 12:33 PM
What I really would like is a black dog 10 round mag, not a 10/32 mag. That would allow me to shoot of of sandbags easier. The Hi Cap mags really are a bummer when you want to shoot off of rests.

I have an old ciener kit. I'll give that mag a try, but its been problematic, which is why I switched to black dog mags.

warkaj
10-06-2011, 12:42 PM
from my understanding if you are active duty military you can buy high cap mags in this state... seriously who wants to go to combat with 6 30rd mags? not me. Now when you get out of the military, what the procedure is for high cap mags you bought while in the service to the nation... not sure... grandfathered to you maybe? I'll find out more at the Oct 15th San Diego symposium on firearms laws and 2nd amendment through the NRA-ILA.

repubconserv
10-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Can I use 30 round mags in a keltec 22lr rifle? Its featureless, as in no psitol grip, etc. Its just a pain reloading every ten rounds.

Looks just like this one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-xnN2ky3v0

CA AW laws do not apply to features on 22lr rifles. Which means it can have pistol grip, VFG, collapsing stock, no bb and hi-cap mags. So yes. it would be legal to use hi-cap mags in the gun. The problem would be legally acquiring the hi-cap mag.

I guess it just comes naturally to you huh!! No offense meant...:D

I don't retain something unless I was looking for it, selective memory.

Yes, I have been on this site for a long time, but I also haven't been paying ANY attention to AW 22lr mag issues as I never owned one until recently. I have an old remington tube fed 22lr my parents bought me when I turned 12, and it has a 17 shot capacity. Is that illegal?? No. tube fed 22lr and tube fed lever action guns (of any caliber) are exempt from hi-cap mag laws. so if you wanted you could buy a "hi-cap" tube fed 22 legally, no problems.I do know this, it friggin dangerous as it jams a lot and you need to release the tension on the mag insert rod which puts your hands right in front of the muzzle when trying to fix jams, thats a bogus design if I ever saw one.

I truly don't know if the hi cap magazine ban applies to 22lr, or if there ever was a 22 lr hi cap mag ban. the ban does apply to 22lr magazines with the exemption for 22lr tube fed

That's the point of my post, to get to speed to prevent myself from getting popped for something out of ignorance. Unless you are LEO, you are unlikely to get a hi-cap mag in ca (unless of course it is a tube fed 22, or a lever action tube fed gun)
I will say this, after four years back into firearms I have learned the secret to becoming a proficient shooter...practice with a 22lr for the first 200 rounds, than go to the bigger caliber. I find this works extramelly well with begineers too. And it works really well for pistol work to help rid yourself of bad habits due to recoil.

22lr rules....

repubconserv
10-06-2011, 12:56 PM
from my understanding if you are active duty military you can buy high cap mags in this state I do not think so, If you are military you can get temporary permits for your CA defined AWs, I do not think you can buy hi cap mags though... seriously who wants to go to combat with 6 30rd mags?....?... not me. Now when you get out of the military, what the procedure is for high cap mags you bought while in the service to the nation... not sure... grandfathered to you maybe? I'll find out more at the Oct 15th San Diego symposium on firearms laws and 2nd amendment through the NRA-ILA.

above

whytea
10-06-2011, 1:09 PM
It is not illegal to purchase or even own a hi-cap magazine, even if the gun/magazine was not made until after 2000. Period. It IS illegal to import, manufacture, or sell them.

There is no currently no case law (that I am aware of) of a person being tried for having hi-cap magazine for a gun that did not exist prior to 2000, and had to explain where or how they where acquired. That said, I sure would not like to be the test case either.

G-forceJunkie
10-06-2011, 6:05 PM
Its been over a decade since I saw a ciener magazine apart...what parts are totally interchangable with the current BDM mags?.22LR box mags fall under the AWCA just like any other magazine. Tube magazines are not affected. Black Dog magazines were not around, but Ciener conversion kit magazines were. If the OP had a Ciener 30-rounder that he legally possessed in CA prior to 2000, he could purchase a Black Dog rebuild kit and rebuild his Ciener into a Black Dog.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
10-06-2011, 9:02 PM
Its been over a decade since I saw a ciener magazine apart...what parts are totally interchangable with the current BDM mags?

The follower and spring interchange if my understanding is correct. The floorplate may interchange as well. I'll know for sure if I ever manage to find my old Ciener 30 rounders, they're somewhere in my storage. One part remaining from the old magazine is sufficient... after the magazine has been successfully rebuilt, the remaining part can be swapped out.

ohlone
10-07-2011, 9:25 AM
when i was in a gun show the other day, i heard someone said that he ordered 30 round mags from out of state online store, and they really shipped the mags as is to him, w/o break into rebuild kit... so in that case, can he use those mags (AR regular 30 rd mags) in his featureless AR? does it mean that the seller broke the law, and the buyer is perfectly legal to have those mags and use them?

It is not illegal to purchase or even own a hi-cap magazine, even if the gun/magazine was not made until after 2000. Period. It IS illegal to import, manufacture, or sell them.

There is no currently no case law (that I am aware of) of a person being tried for having hi-cap magazine for a gun that did not exist prior to 2000, and had to explain where or how they where acquired. That said, I sure would not like to be the test case either.

G-forceJunkie
10-07-2011, 5:31 PM
I bet the would get him on the "import into the state" aspect of it. when i was in a gun show the other day, i heard someone said that he ordered 30 round mags from out of state online store, and they really shipped the mags as is to him, w/o break into rebuild kit... so in that case, can he use those mags (AR regular 30 rd mags) in his featureless AR? does it mean that the seller broke the law, and the buyer is perfectly legal to have those mags and use them?

repubconserv
10-07-2011, 8:21 PM
I bet the would get him on the "import into the state" aspect of it.

Thats what I'm thinking. they would either get both on importation, or they would get the buyer on some sort of conspiracy charge