PDA

View Full Version : off roster at gun shows?

go4kil
10-06-2011, 7:27 AM
do they sell them at gun shows or is it the same guns that I would normally see in gun stores? i've never been to one and i'm planning to go to one this saturday.

Mickey D
10-06-2011, 7:49 AM
There certainly can be 'off roster' guns at gun shows. You can purchase them at PPT if they qualify.

dfletcher
10-06-2011, 8:48 AM
Gun shows will probably have more off roster than most gun stores. Some of the sellers at gun shows are FFL store owners, but many are what's left of "kitchen table" FFLs and non-FFLs selling their own stuff (through an FFL transfer at the show), so it's more apt to be used and/or going through PPT.

go4kil
10-06-2011, 7:43 PM
what does left of "kitchen table" means?

wisefire
10-06-2011, 7:53 PM
A person that has a FFL license that does the business at home or on their "kitchen table". Pretty much they don't have a retail store. Correct me if I'm wrong

Cali-Shooter
10-06-2011, 7:57 PM
If you see off list handguns at a gun show, more than likely they are there to be PPT'd via a 3rd party FFL.

trashman
10-06-2011, 8:05 PM
Yes, you'll see a lot of off-Roster guns at gunshows. Some will be consignment guns in dealer inventory, others will be sold as PPTs.

(I've bought a bunch of neat off-roster revolvers in the last few years: S&W Models 24-3, 17-4, 29-2, 29.5, and 547 just to name a few...)

--Neill

dfletcher
10-06-2011, 9:35 PM

What "wisefire" said - used to be alot of guys who had an FFL dealer license with no store. They used it mostly to get the good deals in Shotgun News, help out their gun buying friends or do a transfer from another state. I think I bought my first half dozen or so guns that way. Drive up to the Kittery Trading Post in ME to pick out a gun, wait until they closed then follow a guy from ME to MA a few miles away. Meet up in his home in Newburyport and do the 4473 on his kitchen table.

go4kil
10-07-2011, 5:17 PM
so if i plan to buy something in gun show, do i just bring my ID, Handgun safety certificate? or do i bring something else? i've never purchased any guns yet. I might be able to find what i want tomorrow.

Fishslayer
10-07-2011, 11:19 PM
so if i plan to buy something in gun show, do i just bring my ID, Handgun safety certificate? or do i bring something else? i've never purchased any guns yet. I might be able to find what i want tomorrow.

Second form of address verification as well. Usually it's DL and car registration. The addresses MUST match. A utility bill will work I believe, but it has to have YOUR name and address must match the DL.