PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1911 barrel question

Sailormilan2
10-06-2011, 7:04 AM
Is there any difference, other than the length, between a standard length Colt 1911 barrel and the barrel for a Colt Commander?
I have a Commander barrel in 38 Super that is very pitted, and I would like to replace it. I have found some standard length barrels at a good price and am considering getting one and cutting it down.
Does anyone see any problems with this?

m1match
10-06-2011, 7:11 AM
I don't think that other than barrel length, the Commander barrels are the same on the rest of the barrels. I've never done what you're thinking of so I would ask the parts supplier that question.

razr
10-06-2011, 8:20 AM
You'd have to recrown the bbl.

JTROKS
10-06-2011, 8:59 AM
Are you going to install this barrel yourself? Cutting a barrel sounds easy, but a lathe will make it so much easier. Some have braved to hacksaw then square it up on a surface grinder. Some other areas you need to look at is if you're installing a match bushing to get some accuracy from this barrel purchase. You will have to turn the barrel a little smaller than the area of bushing lock up area for added reliability. Ask yourself if you want a match grade or just a drop in happy-go-lucky type of job?

Andy Taylor
10-06-2011, 9:11 AM
I suspect that unless you are skilled at this sort of work, it would be less expensive to just buy a Commander length barrel to begin with.

InGrAM
10-06-2011, 11:34 AM
I suspect that unless you are skilled at this sort of work, it would be less expensive to just buy a Commander length barrel to begin with.

Bingo.

Barrels: The internet is your friend.
http://www.gunclips.net/colt45barrels.html

Sailormilan2
10-06-2011, 12:37 PM
I have a lathe, and a barrel facing cutter. New Colt 38 Super barrels are $100+, though I can get new made Rotol barrels for about $50.

InGrAM
10-06-2011, 1:51 PM
I have a lathe, and a barrel facing cutter. New 38 Super barrels are $100+, though I can get new made Rotol barrels for about $50.

If you have the know how, and the tools, they why are you asking? Just jump in and start hacking a barrel down to size.

JTROKS
10-06-2011, 4:57 PM
Great! You have the tools needed. My question is - Do you really want to do this barrel replacement the cheapest way? 38 Super and a Roto barrel from Sarco. Please keep us updated if you decided to go through with it. Just want to know if those Roto barrels really are what they claim they are. $50 match grade barrel.

InGrAM
10-06-2011, 5:21 PM
Great! You have the tools needed. My question is - Do you really want to do this barrel replacement the cheapest way? 38 Super and a Roto barrel from Sarco. Please keep us updated if you decided to go through with it. Just want to know if those Roto barrels really are what they claim they are. $50 match grade barrel.

I don't know about ALL but most of the barrels Sarco sells are RIA barrels. Mine was an exactly drop in fit for my 38 super to 9mm 1911 RIA.

It is accurate enough, and it was only $50 :D