PDA

View Full Version : Marlin XT-17 and Savage 93R17GV ? ?

hylander
10-05-2011, 9:48 PM
Anyone have either ?
Thinking of getting a new Marlin XT-17V, one reason is my local dealer has one for $229, I can't find a Savage 93R17GV Locally.
I could order the Savage from Buds for $253 but I kinda like putting my hands on the rifle before I buy it.
Any feedback since Remington took over Marlin ?
I'm alittle concernd about QC, my last Marlins were Tack Drivers, just don't want to buy a Dud.
My faith in Remington has dropped in the last 2 years

Izzy43
10-06-2011, 8:47 AM
I have read some posts on rimfirecentral.com where the current new XT rifles are having some QC issues since Remington bought Marlin and moved production to new locations. I too am interested in a 17HMR from Marlin but I will be waiting to see if Remington gets the quality issues ironed out. It would certainly be a shame if Remington brought a bad name to Marlin firearms.

Maybe the same folks who do the QC on Remington Golden Bullets are now the QC for the Marlin rifles.

Link on performance of XT-17: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413746 Just one example @ 50yds

hylander
10-06-2011, 4:36 PM
I have read some posts on rimfirecentral.com where the current new XT rifles are having some QC issues since Remington bought Marlin and moved production to new locations. I too am interested in a 17HMR from Marlin but I will be waiting to see if Remington gets the quality issues ironed out. It would certainly be a shame if Remington brought a bad name to Marlin firearms.

Maybe the same folks who do the QC on Remington Golden Bullets are now the QC for the Marlin rifles.

Link on performance of XT-17: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413746 Just one example @ 50yds

For 50yds, those are Not good groups from a 17HMR
Starting to lean toward the Savage

Izzy43
10-07-2011, 5:38 AM
For 50yds, those are Not good groups from a 17HMR
Starting to lean toward the Savage

Not saying those were good groups and remember there is someone behind that rifle pulling the trigger, that's another variable. Anyway I would agree with you to go with the Savage. They are proven shooters (as well as the older Marlins). Better safe than sorry at this point in time. You can always get a Marlin later.

hylander
10-07-2011, 5:10 PM
Not saying those were good groups and remember there is someone behind that rifle pulling the trigger, that's another variable. Anyway I would agree with you to go with the Savage. They are proven shooters (as well as the older Marlins). Better safe than sorry at this point in time. You can always get a Marlin later.

I agree, the shooter has alot to do with the group size and that Rifle and shooter will probably do alot better when he gets use to it and it settles in.

Well, again I put the cart before the horse, bought a brick of
Hornady V-Max :facepalm:
But, I also put a new Savage 93R17GV on hold, will go back Sunday to do the paper work :)

bombadillo
10-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Get the savage man. Much more aftermarket, and great guys on rimfirecentral to help out for all kinds of things. Read my thread about my BSEV. Got some great parts, added a nice bottom metal, bases, rings, scope, bipod and sling stud. Wish my spotting scope came in before sunday but not gonna happen so we'll just have to try and use the 6-24x44 scope to spot.