PDA

View Full Version : 1911 De-cocking (sort of) Mechanism

4DSJW
10-05-2011, 7:29 PM
A friend let me know about this the other day and I thought it was interesting. He commented that they were available a few years ago but were not very popular. I had never even heard of the Cylinder & Slide SFS kit so I thought I would ask the folks here at CG if you were familiar with the kit and what you thought of them.

The deal-breaker for me is that the safety lever can't be used as a de-cocker, you have to manually push the trigger down. Otherwise it is an interesting idea.

You can see the kit here (http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=CS0116HC), there is also a video showing the operation. Would love to hear from anyone familiar with the kits and whether or not they worked.

Thanks for any info!

JeremyS
10-05-2011, 7:45 PM
Never seen this before. Was expecting something I would hate. Not gonna lie... that's pretty cool. I don't really see what possible advantage it has over simply carrying cocked and locked. It doesn't seem safer in any way whatsoever. But... it's still cool. $245 cool? Yeesh.

...I'd have to wonder what it does to your trigger pull. It's a lot of parts that, on my 1911, I would have already replaced with high-end, tuned components. I do like the design look of the hammer, but if I couldn't tune it to achieve the crisp trigger and short reset I'd expect from a 1911 it wouldn't be worth the novelty in any way...

davbog44
10-06-2011, 4:31 AM
FWIW, the Range Master over at my county's CCW Unit did one of these on his 1911. He demonstrated it during our CCW Class. Although I'm not a 1911 guy, he is. He also does a lot of firearms maintenance, etc for the Sheriff's Department, and the SFS was installed on the gun he carries.

I had the same thought at the time; that it's too bad it doesn't also allow the safety to function as a de-cocker. But it's a pretty neat idea and I'm surprised it isn't more popular.

Mute
10-06-2011, 6:10 AM
Most of us 1911 guys don't see it as a necessity. I can see where a LE dept. might like it because their officers don't have to walk around in public with a cocked gun.

melensdad
10-06-2011, 6:36 AM
Most of us 1911 guys don't see it as a necessity. I can see where a LE dept. might like it because their officers don't have to walk around in public with a cocked gun.
Ditto. It seems more like a device used for public relations.

I now live in Indiana. I carry a 1911. I carried mine cocked & locked. And, because this is Indiana, I sometimes OPEN CARRY with a cocked & locked gun. To date, nobody has ever had a problem with me carrying a gun, nor how I carry it.

Bug Splat
10-06-2011, 8:55 AM
Seems just wrong. 1911's should be carried cocked and locked. I'd only want a decocker on DA/SA pistols and I doubt this will fit in a Para.

PRCABR4Christ
10-06-2011, 9:24 AM

+1, I can't tell you how many times someone walked up to me and told me my gun was cocked :eek: even some of my family members have mentioned it to me...it usually gives me time to explain about the 1911 to remove FUD from their perceptions :)

InGrAM
10-06-2011, 10:18 AM

+1.

The military never allowed the 1911 to have a round in the chamber let alone cock and locked. This product stems from people's uneasiness with a condition one(cocked and locked) firearm.

The main concern I have with it is, what if you need to do some rapid firing and you squeeze the trigger before the hammer has time to spring back? I could see that happening, no bang for a fraction of a second :confused:. I maybe paranoid but that concerns me.

C&S also has the same thing for the Hi-Power which is what I think it was intended for.
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=CS0115

erikdjs
10-06-2011, 11:06 AM
This seems like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

SLO1911Fan
10-06-2011, 11:55 AM
I've played with them a couple of times. Its an interesting idea for people who's jobs don't let them carry cocked and locked, but for most of us it really is a solution in search of a problem. It only deals with the perception of "danger" in cocked and locked carry. As soon as you take the safety off the hammer springs back and you're ready to go. I personally wouldn't put one on my gun, its just one more thing that could go wrong.

ironpete
10-06-2011, 1:00 PM
Interesting...kind of HK P7'ish in that the hammer/striker is disabled until you enable (squeeze or safety off) it.

I wouldn't buy it but it is pretty neat.

whytea
10-06-2011, 1:22 PM
FWIW, the Range Master over at my county's CCW Unit did one of these on his 1911. He demonstrated it during our CCW Class. Although I'm not a 1911 guy, he is. He also does a lot of firearms maintenance, etc for the Sheriff's Department, and the SFS was installed on the gun he carries.

Ken! Great guy. He even describes it as a PR "warm and fuzzy" device. I am a 1911 guy, and I carry condition 1. If you are carrying concealed, nobody is any the wiser. For open carry or duty holster carry, I can see the PR aspect of it.

rshoemaker
10-06-2011, 1:46 PM
Up in WA i would open carry condition 1 (I dont see the reason to carry a firearm that is not ready to go now) and only had one person mention it, I said I know, and the conversation didnt go any further than that.

esartori
10-06-2011, 2:41 PM
Interesting video for sure, but I don't think I would ever use one. 1911s are designed to be cocked and locked. If I want the hammer down, I would buy a DA/SA. For two of these kits I could get a Glock too.

9mmepiphany
10-06-2011, 9:07 PM
I didn't realize that C&S offered it for the 1911, it was originally developed for the Browning Hi-Power. The kits have been around forever and just never caught on.

I've handled several and fired two during classes. I think they are unduly complicated and it is odd when the hammer drops to the fully cocked position

4DSJW
10-07-2011, 4:27 PM
Thanks for the replies and comments, especially those with some personal experience. Not something that I will add to my Commander but anyone who may be interested can find them here (http://powercustom.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=248) at a better price. I have no affiliation with the store or the manufacturer.

Thanks Again!