PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions of Grip Force Adapters Glock Tail

tacticalcity
10-05-2011, 7:17 PM
I've got my emotional flack vest and helmet on for this one. I expect to get lots of criticism on this one. This one feels like fodder for the keyboard commandos and haters.

BACKGROUND

I take a lot of defensive firearms course. Courses where you train at full speed, from the holster, and the grip you get is the grip you go with regardless of how imperfect it is. You shoot anywhere from 300-800 rounds in a single day depending how much shooting vs. instruction there is, and the courses can run for a full week eight hours a day.

In that kind of training enviorment, slide bite is almost certainly a give from the Glock...especially a midsize or baby Glock where the natural tendency is to ride too high in an effort get as much of a grip as you can despite the guns grip surface area being too small for your hands.

Guys who just target shoot, and don't train with the kind of intensity mentioned above will have ZERO clue what I am talking about. They will be the ones who "just adjust your grip" with zero clue what happens at full speed, from concealment in the rain, when running full speed, etc. Guys who do just manned up, like I have always done, and accepted the occassional slide bite as part of life. Something you live with.

Recently I was cruising the forums looking for some new and usual stuff for a project gun I picked up, a Washington State Police Trade-In Gen 2 Glock 17 9mm. And I came accross a device meant to prevent slide bite from a company called Grip Force Adapters.

I figured what the heck. If it works and I like it great. If not I will turn around and sell it on eBay.

I admit, it is ugly as sin. But I felt that way about Glocks once upon a time. So maybe it will grow on me looks wise.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Function wise, I am absolutely impressed. This thing solves problems I had no idea I had nor would I have believed existed before trying it out. It's easy to be skeptical and just right it off as useless and ugly...until you try it. Once you feel it in your hand, you raise an eyebrow and you start to think, "Hey this is pretty darn cool".

PROS

1. Slide bite no longer possible.
2. Improved finger placement on the trigger makes a smooth trigger pull easier.
3. Points in a little easier.
4. Extremely comfortable, drastically more so than I had imagined it would be.
5. Extremely easy to install.

CONS

1. Ugly as sin, but it may just grow on me - does look better in person.
2. The way it clips on seems like you might accidentally loose it. Manufacturer suggests gluing it on and sells glue to do it with. But that is a pretty permanent commitment. So I will hold off a while until I am 100% sold on it and feel I can't live without it. Removing the grip tape strips I had in the way is as far as I am willing to commit until I have 500+ rounds through her with this on.

CURRENT CONCLUSION

So far I really like it. I expect to be gluing it on after some serious testing.

They can be found here: http://shop.gripforceproducts.com/

A much more detailed and better written review of this product can be found here: http://jerkingthetrigger.com/blog/2011/01/01/review-grip-force-adapter-for-glocks/

Ok...here is the picture...duck and cover!!!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/My%20Glocks/GLOCK_TAIL.jpg

mikeinla
10-05-2011, 7:24 PM
I like it except for the $27 price tag

tacticalcity
10-05-2011, 7:29 PM
I agree it could have been cheaper, but I was really jazzed up about having a project gun and figured what the heck. So far I think it was worth the price tag. It is really, really comfortable...which really suprised me. I expected it stop the slide bit. I didn't expect it to feel as good as it does. I was half expecting to try it, say no thanks, and sell it on ebay. But this one looks like it is going to be a keeper. Which I admit, surprises me.

scarville
10-05-2011, 7:30 PM
I don't think it's ugly. Makes it look a little like a 1911.
:rofl2:

Voo
10-05-2011, 7:30 PM
I personally never saw the need to use one on my G17 or G34.. To each their own..

In all my experience shooting the G17/34, I've never once had slide bite.. Of course I dont' have very meaty paws.. But as I said, if it helps.. screw what everyone else thinks..

BamBam-31
10-05-2011, 7:32 PM
^^^ End thread.

tacticalcity
10-05-2011, 7:35 PM
Now to find the next goofy think to do to my Glock while I save up to get both the Glock Slide and my complete 1911 refinished. Not brave enough to break out the soldering iron...yet.

BamBam-31
10-05-2011, 7:39 PM
Brave is posting pics afterwards. :D

mikeinla
10-05-2011, 7:41 PM
just bought one-had to try it out

tacticalcity
10-05-2011, 7:43 PM
just bought one-had to try it out

Well if you hate it I will have to run and hide. You can get me from a long, long, long way off. :D

zfields
10-05-2011, 7:47 PM
I like, makes it almost seem bearable.

only10x
10-05-2011, 8:22 PM
what is it made of? hard plastic or a silicone/rubber feel?

tacticalcity
10-05-2011, 8:43 PM
Feels a lot like the frame of the Glock material wise. It's a hard polymer/plastic.

Flying Sig
10-06-2011, 8:11 AM
Not too bad. I think it would look cleaner if the manufacturer would have either matched the Glock stippling or made it smooth. Would you be able to take it down a bit to thin it out? The clam shell look is kinda funky. If it works though, then great!!

SDM44
10-06-2011, 8:18 AM
I've had one on my G19 for months now. Put a good 500 rounds through it using it.

It doesn't benefit me really in any way, but I'm just too lazy to take it off so I just leave it on there. The only good thing is that my hands are big so it adds a little dept to the upper rear part of the grip for my hands.

Shellshocker66
10-06-2011, 8:48 AM
I've had one on my G19 for months now. Put a good 500 rounds through it using it.

It doesn't benefit me really in any way, but I'm just too lazy to take it off so I just leave it on there. The only good thing is that my hands are big so it adds a little dept to the upper rear part of the grip for my hands.

That was my question does it add more to the grip? Tactical could you post a pic with hand on it before and after (if it's still removable?).

I think its a great idea, just smaller hands might not be able to afford losing anymore purchase to reach the trigger.

Matt P
10-06-2011, 9:16 AM
When I saw a video with Hackathorn endorsing it, along with Bill Rogers and Dave Harrington, that can be pretty convincing.
Videos of the Grip in use-Press Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDd2M-It1b4)
Both Bill and Ken say that the adapters seem to help with filling the area just under the top rear portion of the frame, adding 7 degrees to the grip angle so making it more in line with other common pistol grips, and helping those with big hands keep away from being slide bit. That is where the under edge of the slide will travel over the area between thumb and pointing finger.
It would seem that shellshock would be correct in suggesting that adapter may create more distance away more improtantly from the mag release and the trigger.
I am 6' 195lbs, I never get bit with any of the Glocks I own, and certainly do not want to increase the distance I already have from the mag release.
So it seems for those with big hands may enjoy the most benefit. Not to suggest a shooter with small hands has not felt a benefit.

MrExel17
10-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Niice the beaver-tail on the Glock, aint going to lie I got 2 of them and love'em. Not unless you tried one dont knock it, because I did. No own 2, I agree the design could be a bit a looker.

tacticalcity
10-06-2011, 12:46 PM
That was my question does it add more to the grip? Tactical could you post a pic with hand on it before and after (if it's still removable?).

I think its a great idea, just smaller hands might not be able to afford losing anymore purchase to reach the trigger.

I'll try and gey you those pics soon.

I have short stubby fingers. It does affect reach. In my case it helps my trigger pull. The pad of my finger hits the trigger just right. If my fingers were shorter it might be an issue.

tacticalcity
10-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Not too bad. I think it would look cleaner if the manufacturer would have either matched the Glock stippling or made it smooth. Would you be able to take it down a bit to thin it out? The clam shell look is kinda funky. If it works though, then great!!

The texture on it might look funky, but it feels good. You geet a nice postitive grip on it without it being scratchy. So I think you might sacrafice functionality trying to make it look cleaner.

They also look better on the newer glocks, especially the Gen 4 than they do on my Gen 2. Mine is worn and beat up. So you can see a noticable color difference that you don't notice as much on the newer Glocks. They have lots of pictures on their website.

tacticalcity
10-06-2011, 12:56 PM
It is worth noting that I have nice little scar, more discoloration right in the center of the web of my right hand from slide bite from a Glock 19 and 4 days of training 8 hours a day. Looks like I had a mole or a wart removed. Nothing serious or worth complaining about. When you pull and fire 2K times in 4 days, you can get a few slide bites. At most it just stings a lot at the time. Less pain than a bee sting. More than a spider bite. Not too hard to put it out of your mind a keep training. If the drill required 4-5 shots, and I got bit on the first, I still fired the remaining shots. I wasn't going to let it mess up my training. Just like in real life I would keep on firing and try to win the fight and stay alive. However...if you had the choice to be bit by a spider and not bit by a spider the choice is pretty easy to make. This thing gives you that choice, and then throws in a few other perks as freebies.

The looks are distracting however. Maybe a paint job will help. Already planned on refinishing the slide. Maybe the grip will eventually get some Ceracote as well.

Average Joe American
10-06-2011, 1:45 PM
Glock should have offered this as an option a long time ago. The non-existant beavertail has always been one of the complaints I had of my beloved Glocks. It would have been smart to offer a beavertail option when they moved forward on the picatinney rail and changeable grip option. Heck while they are at it I'd like to see Glock get around to making the front sight "dovetailed" into the slide just like the rear sight.

ArkinDomino
10-06-2011, 1:46 PM
I'd be down to try one of these.

tacticalcity
10-06-2011, 2:02 PM
Glock should have offered this as an option a long time ago. The non-existant beavertail has always been one of the complaints I had of my beloved Glocks. It would have been smart to offer a beavertail option when they moved forward on the picatinney rail and changeable grip option. Heck while they are at it I'd like to see Glock get around to making the front sight "dovetailed" into the slide just like the rear sight.

There have been rumors about Glock releasing a backstrap with a built in beaver tail that you can buy as an aftermarket part, but so far they are just rumors.

zfields
10-06-2011, 3:30 PM

Id probaly get one if it was offered that way, and it took a reasonable amount of the feel of the grip angle out.

Lead Waster
10-06-2011, 4:34 PM
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10437/guntechdetail/Glock_Grip_Reduction___Custom_Beavertails

A Brownell's how-to on grip reduction and adding a beavertail to the glock. You gotta do the work and it looks .... like a glock with a beavertail.

I like how TacticalCity's beavertail looks like those old fashioned "sea shell" fixtures that you might see in an old hotel or theater!

ojisan
10-06-2011, 5:06 PM
Seems to:
Makes it look more like a 1911.
Makes it point more like a 1911.
Fills the hand more like a 1911.
Protects the hand more like a 1911.

And you seem to like it.

So where exactly are you headed with all this?
:shifty:

A Camminoli thumb safety is next?
:eek:

But then, you could shortcut to the end reult of all this and just get a 1911.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii269/theogrit/1sm071potstir.gif

:p

tacticalcity
10-06-2011, 5:10 PM
I have a 1911...protects you from slide bite...other than that nothing like my 1911.

Really hard to describe the feel and effect of it in words. I think a lot more people would like it if they could feel it through the net. But then again plenty of people would pass as well.

I can see how somebody who has NEVER gotten slide bite from their Glock wouldn't look twice at it. As that it the biggest thing it does. I see the other things extra little perks.

What I like most about it is that the only real con to it (for me) is that it looks goofy. You don't buy a Glock for looks.

This particular Glock is a project gun. Bought to play with it and try goofy things out. Things I would never have considered doing to a brand new Glock. So far so good. I'm almost brave enough to break out the soldering iron, but not yet.

A Camminoli thumb safety is next?

Not even if it meant getting to sleep with Keira Knightly....ok, maybe then...but otherwise no chance! If you're out there Keira my number is 916...;)

tacticalcity
10-06-2011, 5:22 PM
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10437/guntechdetail/Glock_Grip_Reduction___Custom_Beavertails

A Brownell's how-to on grip reduction and adding a beavertail to the glock. You gotta do the work and it looks .... like a glock with a beavertail.

I like how TacticalCity's beavertail looks like those old fashioned "sea shell" fixtures that you might see in an old hotel or theater!

That's for artistic people. My glock would look like a 2 year old threw a Play-Doh recreation of a glock against the wall as hard as they could then waited for it to fall to the ground, stepped on it, and walked around the school with it stuck to the bottom of their shoe all day.

Totally outside my wheelhouse.

RollingCode3
10-06-2011, 5:59 PM
I like it except for the $27 price tag

+1. 27 is way too much for a piece of plastic.

27 bucks = no thanks

15 or under = i'd get a few for my glocks

JaeOne3345
10-06-2011, 6:26 PM
Tried one on a demo gun but in my opinion it lowers my grip since my hand is now lower cause of the thickness of the "beaver tail"

But hey if it works for you, right on.

If I always got bit by the slide I would invest in a permanent modification (mold onto the oem stub tail).

iron330
10-06-2011, 7:21 PM
With do respect, this piece seems totally unnecessary on the Glock. And it's ugly to boot.

tacticalcity
10-06-2011, 7:44 PM
With do respect, this piece seems totally unnecessary on the Glock. And it's ugly to boot.

Probably would have had the same opinion had I not seen/felt/used one personally. It wins you over. At least it won me over.

The old saying applies, "The proof is in the pudding". Before 100% dismissing it, try one. Not saying to rush out and buy one. But if you see somebody on the range with one as to try it out. There is more to life than looks.

chefjef
10-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Seems to:
Makes it look more like a 1911.

But then, you could shortcut to the end reult of all this and just get a 1911.

you could also buy a real tommy gun if you wanted one, but it might be more fun to make one from a 10-22. :eek::biggrinjester:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

tacticalcity
10-11-2011, 11:50 AM
There are several videos of big name shooters endoursing this product.

Of the 3 I watched this one had the best presentation...but they all said pretty much the same thing. Some guys just lacked the speaking ability to get the point accross as well as Ken.

KDd2M-It1b4

Don the savage
10-11-2011, 10:15 PM
There have been rumors about Glock releasing a backstrap with a built in beaver tail that you can buy as an aftermarket part, but so far they are just rumors.

Glock has made a beavertail grip, at least in prototype form, for the gen 4 guns. I saw it and held it at my armorers course in riverside in February. They do exist. Of course the glock rep who had it also said that glock had built a 100 yard shooting range on campus in Smyrna Ga for development of a new weapon, so who knows.

tacticalcity
10-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Glock has made a beavertail grip, at least in prototype form, for the gen 4 guns. I saw it and held it at my armorers course in riverside in February. They do exist. Of course the glock rep who had it also said that glock had built a 100 yard shooting range on campus in Smyrna Ga for development of a new weapon, so who knows.

Would save me the trouble of cutting one of these down to fit the Gen 4 26 I am thinking about getting next.

mikeinla
10-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Received mine a few days ago. I have never had a problem with slide bite so I bought one just to try it out. At $25 each this is WAY overpriced!! There is no big difference in handling for me. If these were $9.99 I might consider buying 4 more to put on my other Glocks but at $25 each I will not be buying any more.

bigkahuna04
10-12-2011, 10:50 AM
tag for future reference.... looks interesting, I'll need to shoot my glock more.

tacticalcity
04-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Saw some of these in the Glock picture thread section.

Posted by fitchhall
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh519/fitchhall/IMG_5168.jpg
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh519/fitchhall/IMG_5164.jpg

jkody
04-05-2012, 3:47 PM
Who cares what it looks like. If it solves the problem for you then roll with it. It's a gun to use if neccessary not for entering a fashion show. Nice find. If I had the slide bite problem, I would have one too.