PDA

View Full Version : S&W M617 vs. Taurus 94

TrailerparkTrash
10-05-2011, 4:48 PM
What is your opinion? Ive been reading and watching youtube with complaints of the S&W. Im sooo dissappointed about the poor quality and reliability issues about that gun posted on the internet.

So, i have never owned a Taurus, but being in the mood for a .22 wheel gun, im considering it.

Pros:
- M94 is less $$$ than the S&W by about $300.!
- Seems to have less reliability issues listed on the internet as compared to the M617.
- Taurus has an optional .22mag version (8-shot) wheras S&W does not.

Cons:
- 9 shots vs. 10 with the Smith.

Whats your overall impression of the two? I just want a "camp plinker.".
Thanks.

say12
10-05-2011, 5:01 PM
I really like my early 1990's model 94.Don't have any experience with the Smith.

dctex99
10-05-2011, 5:04 PM
Love my Smith and have told by so many shops, including ones that had them in stock and on sale, that Taurus was such an inferior product, I won't buy but a Ruger or Smith in 22LR!!

davek8s
10-05-2011, 5:31 PM
I have 2k+ rounds through my 617. I've never had any problems with it. I think Taurus is fine, but I prefer S&W.

olhunter
10-05-2011, 7:02 PM
Last time I checked, the 94 was not on the 'roster'. Maybe its changed.

I looked for a used one for quite awhile, but they never seem to come up locally.

I had an older 617, 6", 6-shot. Wish I still had it.

VegasND
10-05-2011, 7:34 PM
I had a model 17 -- not a 617. Nice revolver but I wanted something smaller so I sold the Smith.

While looking I picked up a stainless Taurus 94. Trigger is terrible -- very heavy and my attempts to use lighter springs result only in failures to fire in double action.

I'm back to looking for a quality revolver and I'll probably sell the Taurus to somebody who doesn't mind crappy triggers.

Pass on the Taurus.

uxo2
10-05-2011, 7:37 PM
i prefer smith..but find it hard to pay 500 to 600 for a .22

TrailerparkTrash
10-05-2011, 8:14 PM
i prefer smith..but find it hard to pay 500 to 600 for a .22

Turners here in SoCal wants $779.00 for the 617!!!!! I mean seriously, WTF?????

santamonica9
10-05-2011, 8:28 PM
Turners here in SoCal wants $779.00 for the 617!!!!! I mean seriously, WTF?????

here is a thread I started about the same gun :)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=477577

I ended up finding a 9 shot High Standard Sentinel Deluxe (PPT from a fellow Calguner) I couldnt put down 700-800 for a rimfire, even if it was a Smith&Wesson. Getting a Taurus is not the end of the world. I did a price check with Bass Pro, they had it for $749.

ImOverHere
10-05-2011, 8:36 PM
What is your opinion? Ive been reading and watching youtube with complaints of the S&W. Im sooo dissappointed about the poor quality and reliability issues about that gun posted on the internet.

First, I would advise that you don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Second, I own the S&W 617 as well as several Taurus 94s. If you live in San Diego, I'd be glad to let you try any/all of them. PM me if you're interested.

TrailerparkTrash
10-05-2011, 9:08 PM
First, I would advise that you don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Second, I own the S&W 617 as well as several Taurus 94s. If you live in San Diego, I'd be glad to let you try any/all of them. PM me if you're interested.

Wow, thank you so much for the generous offer. Sadly, i dont live near San Diego. If I did, id take you up on the offer. So which gun do you prefer between the two since you own them both?

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

ImOverHere
10-06-2011, 1:48 PM
Wow, thank you so much for the generous offer. Sadly, i dont live near San Diego. If I did, id take you up on the offer. So which gun do you prefer between the two since you own them both?

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Like you, I'd read all the stuff on the Internet re lousy trigger pulls, etc. of the Taurus 94. And, it's true, the Taurus' trigger pull isn't as crisp as that of the S&W 617 (or some other S&W rimfire revolvers I've owned). (But "lousy?" Not IMO.)

But I think it's important to ask yourself what it is you're buying the piece for. IOW, are you interested in a competition handgun or maybe just really tight groupings at the range? If so, the 617 is the one you want, IMO. OTOH, if what you want is a plinker, something to just have fun with for an afternoon, maybe use as a teaching aid for a novice just learning how to shoot a handgun, then I'd say the Taurus will do just fine.

Besides your intended use of the revolver, I'd also suggest you ask yourself if spending ~ twice as much for the S&W is a good use of your (presumably limited) money to get, yes, a better trigger pull and a better "feel?" Perhaps the money you save by buying a Taurus could be better spent elsewhere? These are questions you can only answer for yourself. I've owned ~10 different rimfire revolvers that were a mix of S&W, Taurus, and Ruger. Each had a pro and a con associated with it.

To directly answer your question, which I prefer to use is in large part what I intend to do at the range that day. If I'm interested in focusing on my trigger control, group size (especially out past, say, 10-15 yards), breathing, etc., I put the 617 in my range bag, with "better" ammunition. If, OTOH, I'm just looking to "play" (i.e., shoot at spinners, etc.), or maybe teach a new shooter (who's never shot a handgun before) some basics about firearm safety and handgun control, I pack a Taurus with bulk ammunition. It's lighter, somewhat less "intimidating" (given some comments I've received), and easier for a novice to hold (the 617 is considerably heavier than any Taurus I own).

I'm sorry you don't live nearby, as I'd like to let you try them out. It's difficult to come to a decision about buying a firearm without actually trying one out. Imagine buying a car or truck based solely on Internet reputation and not having had the opportunity to actually test-drive one. :eek: Foolish, huh? :)

Try phoning around to ranges near you and see if they have various rimfire revolvers you can actually rent. I'd recommend you do that only after you decide the purpose for your intended firearm.

Good luck on your search.

goofcat
10-06-2011, 2:27 PM
Insight shooting range in Cerritos has a 617 6" in their rental fleet. They have a whole case of .22 pistols, but not sure if they have the Taurus. You can call them to check. This way for $10 and ammo you can see if you like the 617 enough to drop some major bucks on it.

TrailerparkTrash
10-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Like you, I'd read all the stuff on the Internet re lousy trigger pulls, etc. of the Taurus 94. And, it's true, the Taurus' trigger pull isn't as crisp as that of the S&W 617 (or some other S&W rimfire revolvers I've owned). (But "lousy?" Not IMO.)

But I think it's important to ask yourself what it is you're buying the piece for. IOW, are you interested in a competition handgun or maybe just really tight groupings at the range? If so, the 617 is the one you want, IMO. OTOH, if what you want is a plinker, something to just have fun with for an afternoon, maybe use as a teaching aid for a novice just learning how to shoot a handgun, then I'd say the Taurus will do just fine.

Besides your intended use of the revolver, I'd also suggest you ask yourself if spending ~ twice as much for the S&W is a good use of your (presumably limited) money to get, yes, a better trigger pull and a better "feel?" Perhaps the money you save by buying a Taurus could be better spent elsewhere? These are questions you can only answer for yourself. I've owned ~10 different rimfire revolvers that were a mix of S&W, Taurus, and Ruger. Each had a pro and a con associated with it.

To directly answer your question, which I prefer to use is in large part what I intend to do at the range that day. If I'm interested in focusing on my trigger control, group size (especially out past, say, 10-15 yards), breathing, etc., I put the 617 in my range bag, with "better" ammunition. If, OTOH, I'm just looking to "play" (i.e., shoot at spinners, etc.), or maybe teach a new shooter (who's never shot a handgun before) some basics about firearm safety and handgun control, I pack a Taurus with bulk ammunition. It's lighter, somewhat less "intimidating" (given some comments I've received), and easier for a novice to hold (the 617 is considerably heavier than any Taurus I own).

I'm sorry you don't live nearby, as I'd like to let you try them out. It's difficult to come to a decision about buying a firearm without actually trying one out. Imagine buying a car or truck based solely on Internet reputation and not having had the opportunity to actually test-drive one. :eek: Foolish, huh? :)

Try phoning around to ranges near you and see if they have various rimfire revolvers you can actually rent. I'd recommend you do that only after you decide the purpose for your intended firearm.

Good luck on your search.

ImOverHere: Good advice! Thank you. I think I'd rather just save some extra money and get get the 617 with a 4" bbl. I really want it to wear on my hip around the campfire up in remote areas of the Sierras (when I'm not carrying my 10mm or a .38Super....I love the "expensive ammo" shooters! :D )

When I mentioned the "problems" that I saw on youtube, its of a guy that gets his cylinder locked up just after 4,5 or 6 rounds. He had a heck of a time dealing with Smith & Wesson (run around) until they finally resolved the problem. Then, I started reading other people's woes with the 617 about the same issue. I'm just afraid that after spending close to $900 total on the piece, I don't want the same issues. But, I know I can't live in the "what-if" world of paranoia. If I have a problem with the gun, I'll just deal with it then. I suppose there is no sense on worrying about IF and until a problem does arrise with the gun. Thanks again for your opinion.
Insight shooting range in Cerritos has a 617 6" in their rental fleet. They have a whole case of .22 pistols, but not sure if they have the Taurus. You can call them to check. This way for $10 and ammo you can see if you like the 617 enough to drop some major bucks on it.
Thanks goof for that 411. I just might drop in there and check that gun out on the firing line!

orangeusa
10-06-2011, 10:28 PM
OnTarget in Laguna Niguel (sp?) has a 617 rental. My daughter shot it and loved it. A bit heavy for a 22LR..

But for the same cost, you can get a 686, and 38 spl is NOT expensive! :) See wasn't that easy? I just got a Smith, but it's an early model, and the trigger is the best I've ever shot. (EDIT: Trailer - like your avatar... Lemme rules! )

triplestack3
10-06-2011, 11:28 PM
38 spl is expensive... compared to 22LR though
that new ruger sp101 in 22lr sure looks cool, but i don't have $600 (OTD) to plunk down on one

orangeusa
10-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Ya, but about the same price as 9mm if you buy right. But you knew that. 22LR - 3 cents, 9mm ~= 22 cents, 38 spl ~= 24 cents.. I dunno.

shafferds
10-07-2011, 7:35 AM
I have a 617 and its a 10 shot. Its one gun that will never be sold. Its accurate/fun/cheap to shoot but an investment. Ammo cost over the years will keep this gun cheap. Great trainer and no recoil.

compulsivegunbuyer
10-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Check out the Ruger SP101 in 22lr also. I have one in jail right now. My 617 is great now, but it went back to S&W 4 times before it was fixed. Action locked up, ejector locked in the extended position, patterened all over the place, finish had some issues, but they did pay shipping back and fourth 4 times and fix it.

paul0660
10-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Getting a Taurus is not the end of the world.

Well put. A smith is not worth $300 more than a taurus. A ruger might be.