PDA

View Full Version : First time pistol buyer

shawn530
10-05-2011, 4:38 PM
This will be my first handgun purchase as I am an avid C&R rifle guy and shotgun buyer. Was looking for something to have some fun with at the indoor range during winter also good for home defense. Have looked into the s&w MP40 and 9mm carry and range kits as they will set me up pretty good, just curious if anyone had any other suggestion of stuff i should look at as i do want to rent a few and try them out, im not a big guy either so was looking to stay away from the 45acp already get my *** kicked on a weekly basis by my mosin nagat one torture gun is enough for me ;-) Also this is a learning gun for me.

AeroEngi
10-05-2011, 5:57 PM
This will be my first handgun purchase as I am an avid C&R rifle guy and shotgun buyer. Was looking for something to have some fun with at the indoor range during winter also good for home defense. Have looked into the s&w MP40 and 9mm carry and range kits as they will set me up pretty good, just curious if anyone had any other suggestion of stuff i should look at as i do want to rent a few and try them out, im not a big guy either so was looking to stay away from the 45acp already get my *** kicked on a weekly basis by my mosin nagat one torture gun is enough for me ;-) Also this is a learning gun for me.

.45 ACP is not that bad, especially if you're shooting it out of an all steel gun like a 1911.

What's your budget? Don't have much experience with S&W MP40's so I can't comment on that. I would recommend a Sig P226 in .40 S&W or 9 mm if your budget permits. They can be had for around $900.

Oceanbob
10-05-2011, 5:59 PM
Glock 19

:D

zfields
10-05-2011, 6:02 PM
my girlfriend shoots .45 with me often, and she aint a Helga.

.45 really isnt bad, I find .40 to be more snappy.

orangeusa
10-05-2011, 6:06 PM

Mosin = kicked by a horse.

9mm/.40/.45 ACP = bumped by a sheep. All similiar, no big recoil.

No comparison.

But what strikes me is learning gun - have you considered a revolver?

shawn530
10-05-2011, 7:33 PM
well for budget i looking 500 or so and haven't thought of a revolver. Yes the mosin kicks super hard but i did find a m&p40 kit with holster 3 mags speed loader mag holder and ears for 518 locally but i just was looking for the suggestion on other guns to try in my price range that are good value but quality also. the other options i looked at were a p2022. I know i want to try both those out.

orangeusa
10-05-2011, 7:40 PM
Basically, the posts were to get you to consider .45 cal. But remember - 9mm is just under half the price of .45 ACP. I have both.

Basically, don't go for what gun happens to be available for you right not (you knew that). Try to decide the calibre you like, what you plan on using it for, what fits your hand and what you SHOOT WELL with.

The availability and cost will come after that. BTW - the price range of most guns are from mid $350 to $800 and that covers a Lot of guns. Remember that buying a new gun will cost the most - taxes, FFL fees, etc.

My suggestion (after you find what works for you) is to seriously consider used guns. Most folks do not shoot them much, and if need be, you can ask a buddy or RO to look at the gun before you buy it.. (my 2 cents..)

iareconfused wrote this and it's really good.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=397489

AeroEngi
10-05-2011, 9:15 PM
well for budget i looking 500 or so and haven't thought of a revolver. Yes the mosin kicks super hard but i did find a m&p40 kit with holster 3 mags speed loader mag holder and ears for 518 locally but i just was looking for the suggestion on other guns to try in my price range that are good value but quality also. the other options i looked at were a p2022. I know i want to try both those out.

Have you looked into getting an XD9 or XD40? Great guns plus they come with Springfield's lifetime warranty.

Sent from my Droid phone using Tapatalk.

CA Cowboy
10-05-2011, 10:19 PM
I like to shoot my 40 and 45 at the range but for HD Im a big fan of 357 wheel guns.

tacticalcity
10-06-2011, 12:39 AM
While I prefer Glocks, the S&W M&P is a really nice gun. And 9mm is the perfect round to start off with. I don't think you will regret that purchase. I say go for it. Which is easy for me to say, because the majority of the things I like about the Glock also apply to the M&P.

I say this every time, find a professional training course near you in the Competition, Action-Shooting, and Training section here on Calguns.net. It will do more for you than handgun and caliber selction ever will. You will learn handgun safety in a hands on way that will truly sink in and stick with and you will get a nice solid foundation of handgun shooting fundamentals upon which you can build. It will give you a massive leap in ability, especially if you take a longer course like the 4 day courses, and it will be the most fun you ever had with your clothes on.

Now the reason I say get a 9mm instead of a 45 at first is the recoil is significantly less. In a Basic Defensive Handgun Course you are going to be shooting 400-500 rounds a day. You don't want a completely dead arm after the first two hours of an eight hour course. The recoil difference is noticable. Fatigue sets in much quicker with a .45. Plus it is distracting when you're new. Learning not to anticipate the recoil of the 9mm is tricky enough for a new guy.

The M&P in 9mm will be a nice simple gun that will be super easy to learn on yet still offer room for you to grow into it. I think it is an excellent choice.

Once you have some nice fundamentals commited to muscle memory and are really good with the 9mm, then get a fancy 1911 in 45ACP. It is a totally different animal, and one you'll be experienced enough to really appriciate and master.

GuillermoAntonio
10-06-2011, 1:18 AM
my girlfriend shoots .45 with me often, and she aint a Helga.

.45 really isnt bad, I find .40 to be more snappy.

I tought I was crazy for thinkung this.... glad im not alone.

unusedusername
10-06-2011, 1:21 AM
Where are you located?

It is probably worth your time (and money!) to go rent a few guns before you pick. A handgun has to fit hand your size the same way a rifle stock has to fit your arms, and you'll know pretty quick when firing it if it does not.

GuillermoAntonio
10-06-2011, 1:23 AM

the p2022 is a sweet, affordable gun made by Sig, one of the most famous handgun brands.

Merc1138
10-06-2011, 1:30 AM
.40 has more flip than .45 every time I've shot something in .40. You don't have to worry about .45 being some monster of a round, it isn't.

9mm costs less, meaning more trigger time.

As people have mentioned, try some handguns first. Go rent some at the range, go to the range with people who own handguns. Don't use the reliability of a rental as an indicator of the reliability of the brand/model itself(usually the rentals are beat to hell, dirty, and in need of maintenance), but a rental will give you a feel for a gun. Obviously you could just take people's suggestions or look up the most popular model, but that doesn't mean it fits your hand as well as something else.

team1320
10-06-2011, 3:31 AM
for a first pistol i'd recommend a glockk 19.. u jus cant go wrong with it.. n its veryy affordable.

Samtech79
10-06-2011, 4:02 AM
1911, it doesn't kick like a .40 and they shoot better than most other handguns in my opinion. They just shoot great, you won't regret it at all.