PDA

View Full Version : walther p22 or ruger 22/45

Primewolverine
10-05-2011, 5:12 PM
which is a reliable rimfire plinker?

davek8s
10-05-2011, 5:24 PM
I've never owned a P22, but my standard mk3 is a great pistol. It's not picky about ammo. I have well over 2k rounds through it and it runs like a champ.
The only down side to the Ruger is the reassembly. I wont lie, the first time I reassembled it, I had to set it down over night. It was really fustrating. But now that I've done it a few times, it's pretty easy.

Primewolverine
10-05-2011, 5:29 PM
thanks i'll keep that in mind.

XDRoX
10-05-2011, 6:17 PM
The Ruger's more reliable, but the Walther's more fun.

Croweman08
10-05-2011, 7:46 PM
I have both. Go with the 22/45. The p22 is garbage!

bh6300
10-05-2011, 8:04 PM
+1 22/45 here great plinker but like davek8s said first time dis-assembly sucked ***.

Yesterday, I did my first disassembly to clean and do Safety dissconnect mod, slignshot mod and LCI removal. It took me 4 hours because everything was so tight. I was getting frustrated and thought about selling the gun for few minutes.

Don't believe the easy to do youtube video's. First time, have a nice rubber mallet and punchs handy. ;)

I wasn't able to dis-assemble/re-assemble with my hand strength alone.

sequoia_nomad
10-05-2011, 8:25 PM
Definitely 22/45. Very reliable, accurate fun gun. P22 is lots of fun, but it just isn't as reliable or well built as the Ruger. The reassembly is rough, I never needed a mallet or anything, mine was more finicky, follow every instruction down to the dotted I kinda tough. First handgun I ever bought, had it about 5 years now, still gives me hell putting it back together. Wouldn't trade it for a P22 in a million years.

goldengate
10-05-2011, 8:38 PM
Don't knock on the Walther P22 until you try one. It is a nice gun for the range. It might be a bit picky with certain ammo. Feed CCI Blazer and mini-mag on through it and never has a jam. So far, it ran 1,500 rounds and didn't have 1 jam. And it looks so much better than any .22 handguns out there. I find the breakdown and reassemble really easy. Don't understand what all the fuss is about.

bh6300
10-05-2011, 8:45 PM
D"mini-mag on through it and never has a jam.

But thats the difference. $8 for 100 Mini-mag.

550+ bulk ammo for fed, rem, win for less then $20 or anything cheap you can find for plinking in 22/45.

Ran 200 round of Rem through it last thursday. 4 Fail to fire because Rem 555 Golden ammo failed.

For coolness factor, I go for Walther p22.

sequoia_nomad
10-05-2011, 8:47 PM
Should have mentioned I own both. Go with the Ruger.

weinerd
10-05-2011, 9:43 PM
why not a Sig Mosquito?

BrokerB
10-05-2011, 10:00 PM
my 22/45 cant eat any ammo that is not round nose...so my 10,000 rounds of subsonic hollowpoints dont work..Fing POS in my opinion

22/45 will not feed hollow points..jams them right into feed ramp

XDRoX
10-05-2011, 10:40 PM
my 22/45 cant eat any ammo that is not round nose...so my 10,000 rounds of subsonic hollowpoints dont work..Fing POS in my opinion

22/45 will not feed hollow points..jams them right into feed ramp

I've never tried HP's in my 22/45, but my P22 handles them fine. As it does any cheap bulk ammo. Every once in a while I'll get a weak brick of federal that won't cycle it, but for the most part, it eats everything.

If my life depended on it, ya, I'd choose the Ruger. But 22's are suppose to be for fun. And once the P22 is broken in, it eats everything and is way more fun.

The 22/45 is like a dedicated wife that has dinner on the table every night and the house cleaned. But she's fat and boring.

The P22 is like two hookers and a pile of cocaine.

Jyruiz
10-06-2011, 7:55 AM
The Ruger is more fun to shoot for sure and mine has no problems with the Federal blue box.

XDRoX
10-06-2011, 8:51 AM
The Ruger is more fun to shoot for sure and mine has no problems with the Federal blue box.

You're crazy. How can you say the Ruger is more fun:confused:

I feel like a secret agent every time I pick up my P22 :cool:

Do you even own both? I'm going to need to see pics.

http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/P22.jpg

http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/2245.jpg

Coyotegunner
10-06-2011, 9:51 AM
I still own and shoot Ruger MK 1,2,3s,single sixs.Have a few S&W in 22A,41,2213,617revolver.Sold the only Ruger 2245,because I did not like the feel in my hand,my good friend loves it.Walther while finicky on ammo was also not accurate with any ammo.Owned 2 Sig mosquitos.The earlier one only shot real high velocity ammo,and still jammed from time to time.Got a brand new one that was updated,supposedly.Yea I feel screwed twice now.At my local range,we have a indoor and a lot of shoots take place there,with 8 out of 10 guns being the Rugers.The S&Ws are seen in fewer numbers.You see a few high end Sig Hammerli as example.The Walthers and Sigs are like Santa.You might see them once a year.

yoitsbruce
10-06-2011, 10:57 AM
p22 has more muzzle rise than the ruger. i feed mine bulk pack all the time. very few hiccups. the ruger shoots great no recoil. p22 imo has better form factor

Sheldon
10-06-2011, 11:30 AM
I've always thought the P22 looked nice and they do fit in the hand very comfortably.......but the slide is cast zinc and they can and do crack apart. There are enough stories and pics of the cracked slide for me to not want them. The factory seems perfectly willing to replace the slide for the guys who do have them crack, but I can't see bothering if I know if has a chance to do that.

I have 5 of the MKII pistols and they are not without fault either. I have had the grip portion of the bolt break off my fisrst one and Ruger replaced the bolt for it. They redesigned the bolt sometime later to make it one piece so that part won't likely fail in the same way again. Just last week I had the firing pin break on that same pistol after who knows how many rounds....it was my first pistol purchased sometime in 1986. I'm sure Ruger will send out a new firing pin...if not it is less that $4 for a new one.

Jyruiz
10-06-2011, 12:53 PM
You're crazy. How can you say the Ruger is more fun:confused:

I feel like a secret agent every time I pick up my P22 :cool:

Do you even own both? I'm going to need to see pics.

http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/P22.jpg

http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/2245.jpg

Oh man, I messed that up, I meant the Walther is more fun to shoot. Thanks for Straightening me out. :)

Glock_fanboy
10-06-2011, 3:41 PM
But thats the difference. $8 for 100 Mini-mag.

550+ bulk ammo for fed, rem, win for less then $20 or anything cheap you can find for plinking in 22/45.

Except it feeds CCI Blazers just as well... CCI blazers for $16 a brick, same or cheaper than anything else.

I have a P22 and ya it has some issues. Not going to deny that. It is a lot of fun to shoot and it feels the same as a slimmer frame compact semi auto with less recoil (which is really cool imo). Definitely not a bad choose imho.

On the other hand, I just recently got to shoot a Ruger at the range for the first time (I didn't pay too close attention but it looked like a 22/45). While it definitely felt different with a huge noticeable difference in weight, the trigger felt quite a bit better and it is so much simpler to keep on target, maybe due to the weight.

I really can't recommend one over the other, both are awesome.

donw
10-06-2011, 4:29 PM
never owned or shot a p22 but do own and shoot a 22/45...i would not part with it.