PDA

View Full Version : Sig 1911 suggestions

sig1911
10-05-2011, 3:17 PM
what are some things I need to know about this sig 1911. I just picked it up and shot it today and it functioned flawlessly. What are some cleaning suggestions, cheapest quality round, and good wilson combat parts to add. http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/sig1911/IMG_0020.jpg

unusedusername
10-05-2011, 3:30 PM
My suggestion for this, and other new handguns, is to run at least 200 rounds through it before you start modifying it. You need to make sure it runs 100% as a baseline so if a modification makes it stop running then you know its the modification and not the gun.

As far as the rest, google is (http://www.google.com/search?q=cleaning+1911+youtube&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) your (http://www.google.com/search?q=cheapest+.45+acp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) friend (http://www.google.com/search?q=best+wilson+combat+parts+for+1911&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a).

EDIT: Oh and welcome to Calguns!

InGrAM
10-05-2011, 3:41 PM
I own a SigArms GSR target. It is the best 1911 I own, (so far). The cheapest I shoot through it is 230gr Aguila FMJ. It is not a picky gun at all with ammo, but I don't like running cheap **** through it like I do with my RIA and Essex custom.

The only modification I did was buy a cheap plastic Colt mainspring housing, It dropped right in, perfect fit. I only did that because the recessed lanyard ring was very sharp and would eat my hand up. I don't know if Sig still makes the 1911 with a lanyard ring but that would be where I started if I was you. Good luck. Sig makes a very well constructed 1911.

Plisk
10-05-2011, 3:43 PM
What parts do you feel you need to replace? Yes Wilson are good quality parts, but which parts need to be replaced? Are they creating a function issue, or do you need a different style of part?

esartori
10-05-2011, 4:00 PM
Keep shooting it! If it malfunctions within the first 500 rounds, deal with that issue until it is reliable. Then tinker with it. I would only get a new magazine because I am partial to CMC and Wilson mags. Other than that, after it's reliable go crazy.

As for what to replace, that is kind of a hard question to answer because most of it is personal preference. If you want something new/different, then do it. Maybe new grips or sights? New trigger? Again, if it functions flawlessly, then there is nothing you need to change imho.

esartori
10-05-2011, 4:10 PM
I guess I forgot about the cleaning suggestions, which I can answer:

1st: read the manual.

2nd: make sure not to make an "idiot mark" when taking the slide stop out (or putting it back in rather). Just google it and you'll see what it is.

3rd: I suggest a good cleaner, lube, and protectorant to clean. I prefer Ballistol myself as I don't mind the smell and it works as a cleaner/lube/protectorant. Look for the HUGE thread on froglube which seems to work similar and smells better.

4th: I like a bore snake for my barrels. While a good brush can work too, bore snakes seem to work better for me. Just spray the cleaner in there (i usually do it right when i take the pistol apart to let it soak, then clean the frame, sllide, etc, and clean the barrel last) and run the snake through a few times.

5th: Once the barrel, slide, frame, other parts are clean and lubed, I grease the rails. I use tetra white grease (there are many kinds of nice grease). You don't need a lot, just a good coating. I also grease the barrel lug (the grooves where it matches up into the slide)

6th: put it back together carefully (see #2 above lol).

I usually do this after every range trip and do a more detail cleaning after every 800-1000 rounds or so (i.e. clean the firing pin, firing pin channel, extractor, etc). This requires a little more knowledge of the gun so I suggest you do your research before messing with the smaller parts (extractor especially).

InGrAM
10-05-2011, 4:22 PM
I forgot to mention this, if you want to replace the Stocks(grips). You have to buy Sig 1911 grips or they will not fit. Standard 1911 GI grips do not fit, or at least on my GSR they don't.

Scratch my statement. I had a brain fart. :facepalm:

sig1911
10-05-2011, 6:08 PM
Thank you, all of you so far are very helpful. To those asking about custom parts, I want a new beaver tail grip safety, wilson combat trigger (mainly for looks), and a compensator.

sig1911
10-05-2011, 6:42 PM
heres a better picture http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/sig1911/IMG_0013.jpg

sig1911
10-05-2011, 6:43 PM
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/sig1911/IMG_0018.jpg

Xtracrispy
10-05-2011, 6:50 PM
My Sig 1911 seems to eat most anything. I usually shoot Walmart Winchester White Box, its dirty, and I don't know how accurate it is, but it goes boom and is inexpensive. Never had any problems so far, but I only have about 200 rounds through it.

unusedusername
10-05-2011, 7:05 PM
Wow, you've got a Sig 1911 and a Cannon EOS 20D? Very nice.

As far as your parts, be aware the compensators on pistols can make the pistol very finicky with HD ammo. Compensators on pistols usually make it impossible to put the gun into a regular holster, which makes them for competition use only, and so they are not usually tested with the super hot loads used in HD (home defense) ammo.

Not saying you don't want one, as they look awesome, just that you should hold onto the factory (non compensated) barrel as well unless you have another pistol for HD use.

sig1911
10-05-2011, 7:10 PM
yup, how did you know the camera? and I just want a drop in compensator in place of the barrel bushing. also, isn't threading the barrel (the other option for a compensator) illegal in cali?

unusedusername
10-05-2011, 8:04 PM
Most cameras stamp the make and model into all the photos they take. My camera software, iPhoto, reads it back out and displays it. I loaded the pictures into iPhoto so I could zoom in and get a better look :P

Yes, a threaded barrel with a removable magazine is a no-no in California. A drop in compensator is just fine for a 1911, and probably loads of fun too, just remember to either test it with hot loads or take it out when you keep the handgun ready for "zombies"...

I'm more of a Sig P-series guy, so I'm used to drooling over X5 compensators that usually require you to modify the slide, bolt the compensator to the frame, or thread the barrel since X5s don't have bushings.

erik18
10-05-2011, 9:32 PM
My sig 1911 traditional tac ops was fine using vz grips. Not sure why one of the posters above had problems with aftermarket grips.

jessegpresley
10-05-2011, 10:30 PM
what are some things I need to know about this sig 1911. I just picked it up and shot it today and it functioned flawlessly. What are some cleaning suggestions, cheapest quality round, and good wilson combat parts to add.

Don't bother with the compensator, new beavertail and whatever else you wanted to put on it. Just a waste of money. Spend that cash on more ammo.

M Pro 7 for cleaner, and Weapon Shield for lube/protectant.

Best ammo would be anything brass or nickel cased at Wal-Mart. Don't feed it aluminum cased ammo.

Enjoy your new 1911.

sig1911
10-05-2011, 11:01 PM
I understand the waste of money part, but the beavertail doesn't quite sit right with my hand. I need something more flush. And yes, im all for spending my extra money on ammo :D

InGrAM
10-05-2011, 11:10 PM
I understand the waste of money part, but the beavertail doesn't quite sit right with my hand. I need something more flush. And yes, im all for spending my extra money on ammo :D

The problem is it will look bad. Most likely, it wont match. It will have to be fitted as well, unless you get lucky, which does happen. I don't really like the grip safety on my GSR either but it beats the hell out of a miss matched one that I fitted myself. At least that is how I see it.

Merc1138
10-06-2011, 12:58 AM
It functions flawlessly, but you want to replace parts?

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. New parts aren't going to match, they're going to require fitting, and they cost money that would be better spent on ammo.

Garand1911
10-06-2011, 4:09 AM
The only parts I would change is the flat MSH over to an arched model, but thats what fits ME better.
the gun has most of the bells and whistles you could want.
a good beavertail grip safety should be installed by a 1911 gunsmith, the drop in ones look crappy.

as far as wilson parts go ....dont get caught up in paying extra for the name "wilson" theres other good parts out there for less. wilson doesnt make his own small parts, its contracted out like most everyone else. i think the same company makes parts for wilson, brown, baer ..others.
just my 3 cents

also i want one of those sig 1911s as well :)

razr
10-06-2011, 8:03 AM
Did you buy it new? If so replace the spring after 5000 rounds you'll be fine. Just shoot it. Win White box 230 gr is the best ammo you could put through it. Good luck!

sig1911
10-06-2011, 8:38 AM
when it comes down to it, the only thing ill replace is the beaver tail to a flat one. everything else can wait. ill spend money on ammo instead :D

JTROKS
10-06-2011, 9:00 AM
The only thing I did for my Sig 1911 TTT is to add a full length recoil spring guide and polish the sear tip and hammer hooks. Made the trigger have a cleaner break.

jessegpresley
10-06-2011, 11:00 AM
when it comes down to it, the only thing ill replace is the beaver tail to a flat one. everything else can wait. ill spend money on ammo instead :D

The bump on the beavertail is to make it easier to disengage the grip safety so you can shoot your weapon.

sig1911
10-08-2011, 11:31 PM
a full length recoil spring guide helps the trigger break?

Plisk
10-09-2011, 12:50 AM
a full length recoil spring guide helps the trigger break?

No, it does not.

intl1911
10-09-2011, 7:49 AM
I bought mine several months ago and have close to 1k through it.

I have not cleaned it :)

For cleaning I would recommend a basic field strip and break down. Use a brush on all the cracks and crevices. Can't go wrong with swabbing the barrel and cleaning it with good old hippies 9. After around 7-10k you may want to do a complete breakdown and cleaning. I do one about 5k but that is just me.

I agree on tetra gun grease or a dry lube. As far as grip safety issues you can file the under side of the tag that blocks the trigger. This will allow you to deactivate the safety with less pressure while not compromising safety.

Pm me if you would like help. I do it on some of my carry 1911's where I have the same problem with disengaging the grip safety.

walmart_ar15
10-09-2011, 8:35 AM
I would just drill 3-holes in the existing trigger and call it custom :D Just make sure to remove the trigger set screw before you drill.

The bump on the beaver tail is to ensure positive depression to release the safety (basically move out of the way of the trigger bar). If you want to change it out, find out what "cut" the beaver tail is currently. What radius does it have (Brown, others) or is it a Wilson/Caspian cut? That will help the you buy the proper part to fit.

As for compensator, barrel bushing type is your best bet unless you want to spend some $$$ to have a new barrel/compensator fitted. Just note that even so call "drop-in" barrel will sometime need fitting. Barrel bushing type does not compensate as well because it is connect via the bushing and the exit hole got to be large enough for the barrel to slide through. It does add the "look" if that's the objective.