PDA

View Full Version : Washington Times columnist wants to buy a gun for self-defense

bender152
10-05-2011, 3:14 PM
Saw this posted on the NRA Facebook page.

I want a gun. I don't feel safe living in Washington, D.C. and want to protect myself. I'm starting today by going down to City Hall to find the gun permit office to tell them, "I want a gun." This series will follow me as I navigate the city bureaucracy and outdated rules in order to legally buy a firearm.

My desire for a gun started when I had to face down over a dozen criminals on an empty cul de sac in Washington, D.C., armed only with a Blackberry...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/

http://media.washtimes.com/media/viewpoint/entry/2011/10/06/gunpic3.jpg

Shellshocker66
10-05-2011, 4:52 PM
This will be interesting to follow! Hope she gets training, and her gun!

GWbiker
10-05-2011, 9:08 PM
I wish her luck on buying a gun in DC, but Emily ---- "lock the freakin' door when you go out".

bruceflinch
10-05-2011, 9:16 PM
Good Luck to Her!

voiceofreason
10-05-2011, 9:35 PM
Been sharing this article and Twitter with my anti-gun and on-the-fence about getting a gun acquaintances.

Their reactions/responses should be enlightening.

Every time an anti comes over from the dark side and gets a gun, it's amazing how unhappy they become with CA gun laws.

-Why do I have to wait 10 days when somebody in another states has to wait 15 minutes?

-Why does it only hold 10 if it's supposed to hold 17? That's retarded.

-Why can I buy one, but not carry it? I'm a good guy! Gangbangers carry guns all the time!

-What do you mean by "featureless"?

xibunkrlilkidsx
10-05-2011, 10:24 PM
should be an interesting series.

PyroFox79
10-06-2011, 4:56 AM
Wouldn't the best place to ask be a gun store? They would have more information and the know how to go about getting a gun legally. Asking a politician is just a waste of time what the hell do they care.

Uriah02
10-06-2011, 5:32 AM
following!

Uriah02
10-06-2011, 5:33 AM
Wouldn't the best place to ask be a gun store? They would have more information and the know how to go about getting a gun legally. Asking a politician is just a waste of time what the hell do they care.

There is only one FFL in DC and he only does his services by appointment.

Stormfeather
10-06-2011, 10:11 AM

Sounds like a business opportunity to me!

bob7122
10-06-2011, 10:13 AM
she's cute.

Cali-Shooter
10-06-2011, 10:37 AM
About time the sheeple types start waking up. Great story.

zvardan
10-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Yowzer.

mag360
10-06-2011, 11:12 AM
should post this in the 2A forum. Going to send this to mark leno haha.

mag360
10-06-2011, 11:56 AM
I hope she gets a glock with a 33rd "assault clip" lmao.

GWbiker
10-06-2011, 2:00 PM
Been sharing this article and Twitter with my anti-gun and on-the-fence about getting a gun acquaintances.

Every time an anti comes over from the dark side and gets a gun, it's amazing how unhappy they become with CA gun laws.

-Why do I have to wait 10 days when somebody in another states has to wait 15 minutes?

-Why can I buy one, but not carry it? I'm a good guy! Gangbangers carry guns all the time!

The answer to those questions is easy to understand.....

It's because California voters elect Idiots.

inosaris
10-06-2011, 2:21 PM
she's cute.

Agreed! Good article(s), I'll definitely be sharing them with some friends

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mvr6JKK2LfE/TccQvOPAJLI/AAAAAAAARYg/m1dH7YgSgkA/s1600/L%2527Enfant+Society+2011+chairman+David+Vennett+w ith+The+Washington+Times%2527+Emily+Miller.JPG

viet4lifeOC
10-06-2011, 3:00 PM

Great point, but I'd like to add that it's not just antis nor people on the fence. From my experience...I was just ignorant to the limits put on 2A.

I loved watching Future Weapons...informative, "fun" and serious presentation by a highly regarded, field experience, funny man for a host.

I had extra ccash...decided to go buy a Barrett carbine. Scared to walk into a gun store cause my noob questions would out me.

Found out theunreasonable and pointless laws that require 10 round magazines, bullet button, min OAL, etc.

So I walked out empty handed...and proceeded to buy approximately 16-18 (mostly hand guns) in my first 18 months into this love relationship. Honestly, I bought some guns in part to protest.

I'm not concerned with antis living in ivory towers in Utopia...walled off from the realities of life. I find people on the fence or people ignorant (like myself) of the unreasonable, pointless restrictions on 2A as the best means to recruit more into our fold.

Her story of trying to get an LTC will shed light for many.

IPSICK
10-06-2011, 3:48 PM
This looks interesting so far and hopefully will develop into something useful for us.

Jyruiz
10-06-2011, 3:54 PM
I wish her luck.

safewaysecurity
10-06-2011, 4:21 PM
There is already a series about this. A reporter in D.C filmed what he had o do to get a gun. And he kind of broke the law in the end anyway.

BKinzey
10-06-2011, 5:13 PM
....Her story of trying to get an LTC will shed light for many.

She's not trying to get a LTC. She is trying to buy a gun to keep in her home.

viet4lifeOC
10-06-2011, 5:45 PM
She's not trying to get a LTC. She is trying to buy a gun to keep in her home.

Thanks for the correction.

robcoe
10-06-2011, 8:05 PM
I wish her luck, and will follow the series.

I know we complain a lot about the laws in california, but there are places in the US that are worse(NJ, DC and Chicago spring to mind). Not saying California does not need to change, but at least it's not Jersey.

The Geologist
10-06-2011, 8:40 PM

Yes it is!

Dead*Reckoned
10-06-2011, 9:07 PM
Well she's on the right start, good luck to her obviously. It's also obvious she doesn't know to much about guns, I hope she takes it upon herself to learn about them and safe operation.

jyo
10-06-2011, 10:15 PM
It's always amazing to watch an educated person come to realize that they can and should do something to protect themselves in a very difficult location. I can only wish her luck!

Linkpimp
10-06-2011, 10:54 PM
This should be interesting.. I’m in..

Colt-45
10-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Nice write up. I wonder how much that ffl's transfer fee is?:confused:

she's cute.

http://media.washtimes.com/media/viewpoint/entry/2011/10/05/emilygunsa.jpg
I'll be following her closely.

I mean the article:shifty::shifty:

Well she's on the right start, good luck to her obviously. It's also obvious she doesn't know to much about guns, I hope she takes it upon herself to learn about them and safe operation.

I say we invite her over to Calguns so I can teach her.:D

Mulay El Raisuli
10-07-2011, 7:30 AM
should post this in the 2A forum. Going to send this to mark leno haha.

That's a good point.This is such a 2A issue that it clearly belongs on the 2A forum.

The Raisuli

zonzin
10-07-2011, 7:31 AM
she's cute.

Cute?? No,, the word is actually HOT! Jus sayin.

viet4lifeOC
10-07-2011, 10:45 AM
She's definately hot. :shock:

This should go in the CIVIL RIGHTS forum :nono:

HCz
10-07-2011, 11:03 AM
LOL. She got a Kahr K9 in the photo.

Talk about (a possible) product placement. (Those who don't know, Moonies own both Kahr and Washington Times)

cannon
10-07-2011, 11:31 AM
This is fascinating. OP, please keep the updates coming.

dwtt
10-08-2011, 8:50 AM
This is great and about time someone in DC wrote about the stupid DC gun laws. Of course, the people who support those laws are the same people who support Obama and the mentality of victimization.

If I had written about my experience buying a gun on the other side of the Potomac River, it would have been very short and uneventful.
1. I called CDNN and placed an order, paying with my credit card.
2. I went to the local FFL a week later, paid them their transfer fee, and filled out the paperwork.
3. I took the gun home 20 minutes later to disassemble and clean it.
Boring! :)

safewaysecurity
10-09-2011, 3:55 PM
I finally found the video I was talking about. This came out right when they first allowed people to buy handguns.

EKNNZQA6yFQ
pvK7ekPFyBU
47hKCGzYkig
ioj6nYWJg40

Mulay El Raisuli
10-11-2011, 5:04 AM
safewaysecurity; thanks for posting the blog.

As for what that guy had to go through; WOW! Wotta load of crap & nonsense.

The Raisuli

P.S. They actually used the words "bawdy house" in the form?????

NeuTag
10-11-2011, 6:26 AM
After her first post, I couldn't believe an assault against her by a suppose gun owner. It was obvious an attack by an anti-gun nut from the brady bunch. I gave her a step up post to do a good job from one of my identities.

You don't have multiple identities on the internet? Well, squirrel down right here and find out how you too can be seen and make problematic posts to your local newspapers.

One is if you don't know, you are now busted and listed as a terrorist by the homeland security department. Too bad...nice try...hump hump,, hey jeeves,,,

NeuTag
10-11-2011, 6:39 AM
There is already a series about this. A reporter in D.C filmed what he had o do to get a gun. And he kind of broke the law in the end anyway.

I'm still courious how to buy a firearm for a neighbor state when the batf forbiddes buying out of state...Washingtom, D.C. is a cluster****.

Its just like the jim crow laws of yesterday...Opa, Ich vemisse dich, du bisst ein besser man.

Full Clip
10-11-2011, 6:48 AM
Just some further background on Miller here (http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/5/prweb8355849.htm):

"Emily Miller’s professional background includes service as the deputy press secretary for Secretaries of State Colin L. Powell and Condoleezza Rice, working on Capitol Hill as a press secretary and as the communications director to then-House Majority Whip Tom DeLay. Her journalism experience ranges from being a columnist at AOL’s Politics Daily to associate producer at ABC News. She started her career as a desk assistant at NBC News."

Nope, no typically Liberal journalist there...

NeuTag
10-11-2011, 6:57 AM
Saw this posted on the NRA Facebook page.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/5/miller-emily-gets-her-gun/

PART 2 - http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/6/miller-inside-dcs-gun-registry/

http://media.washtimes.com/media/viewpoint/entry/2011/10/06/gunpic3.jpg
Major dup...Commander kes will have to evolve these posts into one that makes sense.

Subscribe to her posts here http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/

tonelar
10-11-2011, 10:10 AM
PART THREE (http://p.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/11/miller-dcs-only-gun-source/)
http://media.washtimes.com/media/viewpoint/entry/2011/10/11/shooting_toward_camera.jpg

I hope she gets a glock with a 33rd "assault clip" lmao.

Not in DC, they have the same 10rnd limit that we do.

shy 7th
10-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Is there a difference between a "columnist" and a "reporter"?

For someone whose job it is to do research, judging by her story she seems to have done absolutely squat.
"...you can only get a 10-round magazine."
"A ten what?"
"Magazine, magazine, where the ammunition is..."

Instead, she seems to have just jumped off into the deep-end expecting all of the answers to just be handed to her.

A quick google search shows more than 5 gun stores within a 15 mile radius of DC in neighboring states Maryland and Virginia. The closest shooting range was 14 miles away in Maryland. And of course the internet is as close as your smart phone.

Obviously they can't actually sell her a gun right there on the spot, but they'd be excellent sources of information for her report, if not offering a hands-on gun experience. Being in such proximity to DC surely they'd have some information for her about the laws/procedures.

Also, judging by the pictures, she does have access to someone with guns, who probably has more information for her than her story leads us to believe. Unless those are hers and she's bought them already and this saga is aleady over and is writing it after the fact.

tonelar
10-11-2011, 5:07 PM
After her first post, I couldn't believe an assault against her by a suppose gun owner. It was obvious an attack by an anti-gun nut from the brady bunch. I gave her a step up post to do a good job from one of my identities.

You don't have multiple identities on the internet? Well, squirrel down right here and find out how you too can be seen and make problematic posts to your local newspapers.

One is if you don't know, you are now busted and listed as a terrorist by the homeland security department. Too bad...nice try...hump hump,, hey jeeves,,,

PART FOUR (http://p.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/14/miller-steps-gun-ownership-dc/)

I read nothing about her being attacked. Was this in some other publication? Or are you speaking about someone other than the WA Columnist?

Full Clip
10-12-2011, 3:47 PM
Is there a difference between a "columnist" and a "reporter"?

Reporters are generally "just the facts," while columnists are usually more subjective and speak from some personal experience or insight.

AMDG
10-13-2011, 9:11 AM
For someone whose job it is to do research, judging by her story she seems to have done absolutely squat.
"...you can only get a 10-round magazine."
"A ten what?"
"Magazine, magazine, where the ammunition is..."

Instead, she seems to have just jumped off into the deep-end expecting all of the answers to just be handed to her.

Granted, you would think someone who wants to buy a gun should at least know what a magazine is, I suspect she is intentionally going into this without having done any research to illustrate the difficulties an "average" citizen would have in trying to get a firearm. The story wouldn't be that interesting if it was a Calgunner who figured out everything that they needed to do before they even left the house. One point of the article is that anyone should be able to wake up one morning, decide they would like to buy a gun, walk out the door, go to a gun store and buy one.

tonelar
10-13-2011, 12:30 PM
PART FIVE (http://p.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/17/miller-whos-eligible-gun-dc/)

... One point of the article is that anyone should be able to wake up one morning, decide they would like to buy a gun, walk out the door, go to a gun store and buy one.

As it should everywhere in these United States.

JAGACIDA
10-13-2011, 1:55 PM
I give her credit for asking the tough questions and putting the knuckleheads on the spot.
I wish her well.

tonelar
10-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Anyone else bugged by how many obstacles DC has in place to dissuade legal gun ownership?

Jbone83
10-21-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm willing to bet that any one of these reporters could probably buy a gun off the street in DC in under an hour if the knew the right places to look.

Mulay El Raisuli
10-23-2011, 5:57 AM
From Part 5:

I went back to Google to figure out what ďabrogating strikesĒ means. I went through three page of search results, and I still donít know. Itís something union-related so as a conservative, Iím sure I havenít done it.

:rofl:

The Raisuli

Tier One Arms
10-23-2011, 12:09 PM
She's HOT, keep us posted.