PDA

View Full Version : Star 30M, 30MI, 28M

Oldnoob
10-05-2011, 12:50 PM
I just recently acquired one of this pistol (30MI). And I have to say it is quickly become one of my favor 9mm.
It amazingly accurate, easy to shoot, easy to take down and clean. And with 40oz of full steel frame, recoil is none exist.
So I would like to know if anyone else has the same experience with them?

I'm not a noob with pistols and own about a dozen of 9mm pistols. It still amaze me that a manufacturer that was capable to make this quality of pistol went out of market.

Oldnoob
10-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Here is my 40oz. :)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/Star30MI.jpg

zfields
10-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Looks like a really blocky CZ clone.

But hey, if it shoots good, thats what matters!

El Larry
10-05-2011, 12:59 PM
I just picked up a Star Firestar .45 compact, shoots excellent, kinda heavy. Nice pistol all in all, very accurate, low recoil.

Oldnoob
10-05-2011, 2:56 PM
Looks like a really blocky CZ clone.

But hey, if it shoots good, thats what matters!

Also have few of those. I have to say, Star wins up on the easy disassembly department. And even though I think my CZ75 SA has the best CZ factory trigger, my 30MI still have a better trigger than CZ.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/CZ75BSA.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/CZ75BSApointdown.jpg

They are about the same weight/size. CZ has a better grip ego for my hands though.

buffybuster
10-05-2011, 6:47 PM
The Star M28 was introduced during the Wondernine heydays. I think it just got out competed in a very crowded market. The 40 oz all steel construction, at the time was considered overkill and too heavy. Also the safe rotated the FP but did not drop the hammer or block the trigger, which was going against the grain at the time and also made it ineligible to compete for LE contracts.

I think the Star lost out to Llama M82 for the Spanish military sidearm contract, which didn't help matters.

I've handled and shot a few M28's and they were quite nice, but nothing spectacular. As a result, I never picked one up when I they were plentiful. If I recall in the early 90's you could pick up a Star M28 or FIE TZ-75 Series 88 for $229.

GWbiker
10-05-2011, 7:38 PM
Until a few months ago I owned a Star 30MI with two 15 round OEM magazines.

HEAVY forged steel frame, Swiss type frame/slide double rail, dependable and VERY accurate. (Beware that some 28 and 30MI had soft barrels) The 30MI was adopted by the Israeli Military.

A gun show vendor who collects Star handguns in the Phoenix area made me a deal on my 30MI I could not refuse.

The Star Firestar model 31 is the best of the litter with the bulb at muzzle end of the hardened steel barrel which provides a tighter link up for accuracy.

Numrich has some parts for the 28-30-31 big Star handgun. Also, google --

Spanish Pistol Forum for additional info and for help for finding parts in Spain.

Edit --- here's the real kick in the behind: Star made some real quality handguns but went out of business in the late 90's, while Taurus went on to produce junk. (IMO)