PDA

View Full Version : M&P 5" Pro model from a 4"

Mstrty
10-05-2011, 12:30 PM
I am still getting emails from members asking questions about my M&P Pro's. So I thought I would post the most common questions.

How did you get a 5" Pro in California? One of them I built from a 4" and the other was a single shot exemption gun.

How much did it cost? The sky is the limit. I paid roughly $700 for the Single Shot and $350 for the top end to convert the 4" to 5"

What are the part numbers you ordered from Smith and Wesson?9mm parts:
Barrel Part # 394310000
Slide Part# 380700000 Rev. NEW
Recoil Spring assembly Part# 279740000 (this is the same as a 4" recoil spring assy.)

Only a barrel, Slide, and sights are nessessary to convert. All of the other 4" parts are the same as the 5" parts.

What did you do with your old 4" parts?

I sold them on Calguns and they sold for $200 in less than 5 min.

Would you buy the parts and do it again? If I already own a 4" gun I would sell it and use that money to do a Single Shot Exemption on another Pro model. Single shot was not an easy option at the time I converted mine. Now it can be done eaisily in most areas.

Here is the 4" top end I sold.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=80614&d=1294106667

Here is my 5" convert after compleated. It is now my backup gun to my other 5".
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=79202&d=1292834274

Enjoy!

G60
10-05-2011, 3:37 PM
1 more question: does the slide assembly include all the small parts (extractor, striker etc)?

I've heard anecdotal stories on other forums that s&w would not sell them certain parts, did you have any trouble when you ordered the slide & barrel?

bwiese
10-05-2011, 3:56 PM
Ty,

Thank you for an excellent summary.
I'm sure many people are looking for this info.

Mstrty
10-05-2011, 6:37 PM
1 more question: does the slide assembly include all the small parts (extractor, striker etc)?

I've heard anecdotal stories on other forums that s&w would not sell them certain parts, did you have any trouble when you ordered the slide & barrel?

I called S&W parts and ordered the parts. I didnt even know the part numbers, he looked it up and said Pro slide or 9L. I said "Pro slide 5", barrel, and recoil spring assy". The numbers listed above came from my receipt. Their computers said complete assy. however, I had already received word that the customer service department will claim you are buying a full and complete slide assy. I assure you that at the time I ordered, S&W had discontinued selling a COMPLETE slide assembly, and even though customer service claims it is complete.... it will be bare.

To answer the next question. All of the internals I got came from SSS Speed Shooter Specialties (http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/).

They can build and ship a complete assy. Price unknown. Or you can just order what you need from S&W and order other internals elseware.

I think I paid no more than 40 bucks for all the other internals.

A complete 5" Pro upper consits of these parts.

Blank Slide $170
Barrel $95
Recoil Spring assembly $8
Stock or Aftermarket sights. (Any)
Frame Key Plug $.50
Extractor Spring $1
Extractor retaining Pin $.50
Extractor $5
Striker Assy. $10
Striker Assy. Guide/Sleeve $3
Slide End Cap $3
Striker Safety Plunger Spacer $1 (flat disc between the FPB and rear sight)

If you buy any Apex Trigger kit (https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid20.html)you do not need any of the stuff below.

M&P Safety Plunger $3 (firing pin block)
Striker Safety Plunger Spring $4

BamBam-31
10-05-2011, 6:43 PM
I remember that thread. Props to you for getting exactly what you wanted when you wanted it. :thumbsup:

pacrimguru
10-06-2011, 5:00 PM
thanks for the info!

pacrimguru
10-07-2011, 7:47 AM
btw, i sent SSS an e-mail last night and got a response this morning...

"It's been almost a year since we've received a shipment of M&P 9L slides, assembled or bare. I'm waiting for a reply on current price on those, but we do have a waiting list with about 20 people on it for a 9L or Pro slide."