PDA

View Full Version : Where do I mount front hand grip?

DirtFarmer916
10-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Anyone have links or reccomendations for where I should install my front hand grip on my AR15?

I see some people put it clsoer to the end of the barrel and some put it closer to the magazine reciever...some in the middlle as well. I assume this is a preference based placement however I'm looking for advice that would best suit me.

I'm 6'1, fairly long arms. Normal size hands...this gun is for plinking and home defense. Currently Im using a Vortex reddot as well.

I tend to think that the position closest to the mag reciever is best..

Thoughts?

HK Dave
10-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Depends on your shooting style and what you're shooting at.

For close range work where i shoot fast, I have my hand grip as far forward as I can comfortable reach... however my left arm isn't bent... its more locked and straight using my shoulders to lock the rifle in a steady position for faster followups and recoil control.

For longer range off hand work, I have my hand closer to the mag well with my elbow touching the side of my body in a V shape to give me more stability for accuracy.

Outside of these, I use a bipod and my left hand is touching the buttstock. :)

DirtFarmer916
10-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Awesome tips!

I guess I'll just need to try the different placements. thanks for giving me an idea of where to start.

kemikalembalance
10-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Depends on your shooting style and what you're shooting at.

For close range work where i shoot fast, I have my hand grip as far forward as I can comfortable reach... however my left arm isn't bent... its more locked and straight using my shoulders to lock the rifle in a steady position for faster followups and recoil control.

For longer range off hand work, I have my hand closer to the mag well with my elbow touching the side of my body in a V shape to give me more stability for accuracy.

Outside of these, I use a bipod and my left hand is touching the buttstock. :)

+1 to that. couldnt have said it better