PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing a handgun ??

zonzin
10-05-2011, 9:13 AM
I picked up my used LEO H&K USPc yesterday from RCGX, (great price BTW)and am absolutely thrilled with the condition and quality of the weapon. That said, there is some minor holster wear on the slide that I am considering having taken care of. I did a google search on gun re-finishing and coatings and there are as many processes and options as Carter has pills.
I want to go with the toughest matt black finish that is available and am looking for suggestions from personal experience. Please post up if you have recommendations.

bsg
10-05-2011, 9:47 AM
if it is an original finish, i'd suggest you consider leaving it as is. i have no personal experience with them, but CCR has a very good reputation for gun refinishing.

whatever you do... congratulations on your new acquisition.

JTROKS
10-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Melonite. I don't have a gun with that finish, but everyone at the range who has swears by it.

InGrAM
10-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Are you trying to do it yourself or pay to have someone do it? It is just my personal opinion but I do not see the point in having a gun completely refinished, NTM, paying someone to do it just to have some minor holster wear refinished. Wait until it has some solid scars on it, then maybe pay someone to do it.

Brownells has some good stuff for "do it yourself" finishing. I have used their spray-on/oven cure stuff, which worked well for one of my CC guns. I am in the process of trying their oxpho-blue stuff to refinish some holster wear on my Colt Commander.

Look up the "hardhat" treatment. It is really good from what I hear.

fennecfrank
10-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Hardchrome
NP3 or Roguard by Robar
Melonite

or SVI's Infinicoat. Check out this youtube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQDYT0o4Oo
rJQDYT0o4Oo

zonzin
10-05-2011, 12:55 PM
.... Wait until it has some solid scars on it, then maybe pay someone to do it.

Good advice,, that is the way I'm leaning. After fondling the gun for a couple of days now, I'm thinking the wear gives it some character. Kinda like me,,scuffted up a bit but still serviceble.

zfields
10-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Why fix it, when your just gonna put the same wear on it.

epcii
10-05-2011, 1:14 PM
Why fix it, when your just gonna put the same wear on it.

+1 Plus, guns with wear look better.