PDA

View Full Version : Which guns can I bring to Kali?

biggums
10-05-2011, 6:50 AM
I am at my summer home here in Montana. I've collected some rifles and pistols/revolvers here and wondering which one's I can come into kali with to my winter home.

I have the following I want too bring in:

Colt 6920 M4 LE
Colt 6940 M4 LE

Colt Python
Colt King Cobra
Colt Diamond Back 22
Colt Anaconda 44 Mag

Can I bring them in? If so can I go to the range and shoot them? Can I sell them or trade them?

Thanks

M. D. Van Norman
10-05-2011, 6:53 AM
Your revolvers are fine.

http://calnra.com/cgi-bin/flowchart.cgi

gunsarefun
10-05-2011, 6:59 AM
The 6920 is illegal here, and the 6940 is legal, but I wouldn't bring it either.

JeremyS
10-05-2011, 11:20 AM
You'll want to call California DOJ Bureau of Firearms. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

On the assault weapons roster, the Colt 6920 is listed specifically. It also lists "all AR15" by Colt, but I don't know the legality of that. It's supposed to be specific model numbers, not categories. However, if your muzzle brake is removable, it's an assault weapon. If it's a flash hider, it's an assault weapon. If you don't have a bullet button on it, it's an assault weapon if you also have any one of the following: pistol grip, adjustable stock, foreward hand grip, thumbhole stock... probably something else I'm forgetting. Can't bring in a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.

Anyway. Call DOJ.

zfields
10-05-2011, 11:31 AM
You'll want to call California DOJ Bureau of Firearms. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

On the assault weapons roster, the Colt 6920 is listed specifically. It also lists "all AR15" by Colt, but I don't know the legality of that. It's supposed to be specific model numbers, not categories. However, if your muzzle brake is removable, it's an assault weapon. If it's a flash hider, it's an assault weapon. If you don't have a bullet button on it, it's an assault weapon if you also have any one of the following: pistol grip, adjustable stock, foreward hand grip, thumbhole stock... probably something else I'm forgetting. Can't bring in a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.

Anyway. Call DOJ.

Uh, no. As long as the barrel is above the SBR requirement, threaded barrels on rifles are fine.

And it has to be stamped AR-15, as long as its not AR-15 stamped colt, or one of the models listed, its ok, but be aware of the rest of the flowchart requirements that make it a AW. Best bet, is to bring offlist, and put a BB on it, then learn the laws a bit more if you want to run it featureless.

JeremyS
10-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Oh crazy. I thought threaded barrels were banned in CA no matter what. Looking at the AW law section, it does have that listed just like all of the other "features" in that it's only illegal if done in conjunction with a removable mag:

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and
any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip,
or silencer.

...but totally banned on pistols no matter what... For some reason I thought that ALL muzzle brakes were permanently attached on all AR's in CA and that threaded barrels were illegal no matter what. Don't know where I got that.

zfields
10-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Pistols and rifles are different : P

ke6guj
10-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Oh crazy. I thought threaded barrels were banned in CA no matter what. Looking at the AW law section, it does have that listed just like all of the other "features" in that it's only illegal if done in conjunction with a removable mag:

...but totally banned on pistols no matter what... For some reason I thought that ALL muzzle brakes were permanently attached on all AR's in CA and that threaded barrels were illegal no matter what. Don't know where I got that.

re-read what you posted. That PC section only applies to semi-automatic pistol that have a detachable mag. Only those pistols can't have a threaded barrel. ALL other firearms types in CA can have a threaded barrel if they wish, handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc.

CSACANNONEER
10-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Pistols and rifles are different : P

Since when?:confused:

unusedusername
10-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Anyway. Call DOJ.

The bad advice in here is astounding.

Please, Please do not call DOJ. They have been known to give out misleading, incorrect, and sometimes even illegal advice.

There are 3 flowcharts:
Rifle: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
Pistol: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf
Shotgun: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf

Follow the charts and stay legal. It took many years of lawyer work to create these charts, even Police departments are using them to ID if firearms are legal. Don't follow the advice of anyone in this thread (even mine), just use the charts.

CSACANNONEER
10-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Please, Please do not call DOJ. They have been known to give out misleading, incorrect, and sometimes even illegal advice.

There are 3 flowcharts:

Follow the charts and stay legal.

+1!

zfields
10-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Since when?:confused:

Your sarcasm is hard to see through text.

tacticalcity
10-05-2011, 12:08 PM

There are 3 flowcharts:

Follow the charts and stay legal.

+1. Rather than expect you to spend all your time becoming an expert I'm going to tell you what I would do in your shoes. There is a lot of stuff to learn to become an expert on this stuff. And while I think that is important, I also realize you're probably stressed out and busy with your move. So I'll try and save you some headaches and some money.

WHAT TO DO ABOUT THE ONE ILLEGAL LOWER RECEIVER:

As far as the one lower that is listed, just sell the stripped lower...not the entire rifle. Even a used stripped colt lower is valuable. A great place to sell it is on Gunbroker.com. Low fees and you'll reach a wide audience. So long as you ask a fair price you will get it. Break it down into its individual parts. If an individual part seems too difficult to remove, such as the bolt release paddle (hard to get off without damaging the lower) go ahead and leave that part installed as you can always buy a new one for a few cents. Save as much as you can without damaging anything. Which should be 99% of the parts. They break down very easily.

A replacement OLL or off list lower will cost anywhere from $75-$150 depending on the brand and market fluctuations. So it's not a very expensive prospect. You should get at least $65 for your colt lower. Probably more.

Easiest and cheapest way to make the rifle legal after you add an off list lower is to replace your magazine release button with a BULLET BUTTON. Takes 5 seconds to install. You will only legally be able to use 10 round magazines after that while inside California. Once you've been here a while you can spend time learning the other ways to make it legal.

If you can't afford to replace the lower just yet, that is OK. You can do it later. Just keep all the other parts in a big box. Bubble wrap them all so they don't get scratched up.

Don't stress out about having to use a bullet button and 10 round magazines. It is not a big deal. Once you've been here a while if it really bugs you then you can spend time learning how to convert it to a featureless rifle. But I would not bother with that yet. You have more important things to worry about.

WHAT TO DO ABOUT THE ONE LEGAL COLT YOU HAVE:

I wouldn't stress out about the one legal colt. I would go ahead and bring it. What people are worried about is that it would confuse a cop and or DA. If you made it to a judge you would win, but it would be a major hassle if it went that far. Personally I think that is a major stretch. Thanks to some infamous incidents our law enforcement officers have all been explained the way the laws work. They might not all understand them 100%, but they all understand that they convoluted and confusing as hell. So they will want to air on the side of caution and not jump the gun. Most try to stay clear of it all together. It's a major can of worms for them and they know it. Now, if you get trafficking drugs or something crazy like that then they will try and pile on the weapons charges. That is different.

Easiest and cheapest way to make it legal is to add a bullet button as described above. Again, only 10-round magazines after that. Once you've been here for a while you can waste some time learning the other ways to make it legal.

Don't stress out about having to use a bullet button and 10 round magazines. It is not a big deal. Once you've been here a while if it really bugs you then you can spend time learning how to convert it to a featureless rifle. But I would not bother with that yet. You have more important things to worry about.

WHAT TO DO ABOUT YOUR HI-CAP MAGAZINES:

Break them down into their individual components, stick them in a box and store them somewhere safe. If you ever move again, or take a training course out of state you can use them again. It the law ever changes, well you have them in a box so you are good to go.

Rebuild kits (magazines broken down into their individual parts) are legal here. But if you put them back together you broke the law. You would need to have already had them inside CA before the ban passed in order to own them in their assembled form now.

zfields
10-05-2011, 12:11 PM
+1.

WHAT TO DO ABOUT THE ONE ILLEGAL LOWER RECEIVER:

As far as the one lower that is listed, just sell the stripped lower...not the entire rifle. Even a used stripped colt lower is valuable. A great place to sell it is on Gunbroker.com. Low fees and you'll reach a wide audience. So long as you ask a fair price you will get it.

A replacement OLL or off list lower will cost anywhere from $75-$150 depending on the brand and market fluctuations.

Easiest way to make it legal after that is to replace your magazine release with a BULLET BUTTON. Takes 5 seconds. You will only legally be able to use 10 round magazines after that.

If you can't afford to replace the lower just yet, that is OK. You can do it later. Just keep all the other parts in a big box.

WHAT TO DO ABOUT THE ONE LEGAL COLT YOU HAVE:

I wouldn't stess out about the one legal colt. I would go ahead and bring it. What people are worried about is that it would confuse a cop and or DA. Thanks to some infamous incidents our law enforcement officers have all been explained the way the laws work. They might not all understand them 100%, but they all understand that they convoluted and confusing as hell. So they will want to air on the side of caution and not jump the gun. Most try to stay clear of it all together. It's a major can of worms.

Easiest way to make it legal is to add a bullet button as described above. Again, only 10-round magazines after that.

WHAT TO DO ABOUT YOUR HI-CAP MAGAZINES:

Break them down into their individual compents, stick them in a box and store them somewhere safe. If you ever move again, or take a training course out of state you can use them again.

Rebuild kits (magazines broken down into their individual parts) are legal here. But if you put them back together you broke the law. You would need to have already had them inside CA before the ban passed in order to own them in their assembled form now.

OR

Leave your on list colts at your house in Montana, along with your hi caps.

Bring the rest, and buy some 10 rounders to keep in CA, just be sure to BB your rifle before ya bring it.

JeremyS
10-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Yeeesh. Sorry guys :(, I'm usually pretty on it with this stuff, having made a move to CA myself a few years ago and having read basically everything on the site here and all of the CA laws verbatim. I guess I need to do it again, as I clearly forgot or distorted the thing about threaded barrels.

If the California Department of Justice firearms bureau gives out incorrect information, we're worse off in CA than I thought! What the heck is their function if they cannot be relied upon to accurately tell you what is and is not legal? The BATFE does a very good job of this for people, and what they put in writing is solid. I'm contemplating that move back to WA more and more every day :rolleyes:

...Anyway... apologies. But seriously, if telling somebody to call the agency that handles firearms legality in California to ask related legal questions is bad advice... just... wow.

Dhena81
10-05-2011, 2:25 PM
I thought OC Armory sold the LE 6920

CSACANNONEER
10-06-2011, 4:17 AM
If the California Department of Justice firearms bureau gives out incorrect information, we're worse off in CA than I thought!

QFT