PDA

View Full Version : Exorbitant Transfer Fees- South OC

walletclan
10-05-2011, 7:07 AM
I purchased a long gun from a gentlman on Calguns without any problems. I went to my FFL to get the paperwork for the transfer going, prior to having the gun shipped. This is a range and FFL that I go to often in South OC.

When it was time to pay the Transfer Fee and DROS it was $135, $100 of which was the transfer fee. I thought that was outrageous and left without paying. I called another local shop and they charge $80 all in. To be honest, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Maybe they have so much business coming in that $100 price was meant to deter people to keep the work load down. If people paid the $100 then it was worth it for them to do the work?....

What is your experience with transfer fees? Was I crazy for thinking that was way too pricey?

Cali-Shooter
10-05-2011, 7:31 AM
Private party transfer should only be $35 (25 for the DOJ, 10 for the FFL).

Some places in the OC that are good about proper transfer fees are T&A Armory in Santa Ana, Riflegear in Fountain Valley, OC Armory in Laguna Hills, Ammo Bros. in Cerritos, and On-Target in Laguna Niguel.

infernl
10-05-2011, 7:37 AM
I recently had a PPT done at Fowlers Gun Room in Tustin. $35 cash, no B.S.

ke6guj
10-05-2011, 7:38 AM
Private party transfer should only be $35 (25 for the DOJ, 10 for the FFL).

OP said the firearm would be shipped, therefore it is NOT a PPT and the $35 limit does not apply.

walletclan, many dealers do not want to do transfers, so they price it accordingly.

walletclan
10-05-2011, 7:42 AM
Correct, this would be shipped to my FFL from Nor Cal. The DROS fee is required, but the transfer fee is arbitrary. I have no problem with an FFL making some money on the transaction because of their time and overhead costs, but $100 to print a form and sign it is a bit much.

walletclan
10-05-2011, 7:42 AM
P.s. I ended up going with OC Armory. $25 DROS + $45 transfer, seems fair to me.

Bikertrash
10-05-2011, 7:46 AM
Turners in San Marcos wanted $100 + $35 so I went to Poway Weapons and Gear where it was $40 + $35. I thought $100 was a little too steep for them to sign for a package from UPS.

Rule .308
10-05-2011, 7:50 AM
That is a bit on the high side but the only problem I see with the story as you posted it is that you failed to do your homework. It is only a price and the guy is free to set it where he wants to.

Soldier415
10-05-2011, 7:55 AM
but $100 to print a form and sign it is a bit much.

This statement makes it grlaringly obvious that your knowledge of the retail firearms business is exactly Zero

walletclan
10-05-2011, 8:04 AM
It's called an exaggeration...lighten up.

Soldier415
10-05-2011, 8:09 AM
It's called an exaggeration...lighten up.
Ok, well let me ask you...

Please explain what you think is involved with a transfer from start to finish...

walletclan
10-05-2011, 8:29 AM
Obviously more than printing a form and signing it...

I would honestly like to know what is involved. Please educate me (I am not being sarcastic).

Flopps1
10-05-2011, 1:24 PM
Might be a little bit more of a drvie but I would recommend T n A Armory. Always a smooth transaction and great prices on transfers.

DasBoost
10-05-2011, 2:39 PM
I inquired at my LGS (in norcal) what the transfer fee would be for a simple AR lower. Owner looked at me and said I'd be better off buying a S&W M&P lower from him for 220 otd. He said hed load up on fees, making sure taxes were properly collected, plus dros, yadda yadda yadda. Guess I'll wait to do an AR until I move or just purchase one through a dealer as a complete rifle. :(

walletclan
10-05-2011, 2:50 PM
Some places don't like to do that transfer, so they avoid it or mark it up a lot to make it worth their while. Another local shop wouldn't even do it at all.

Deadbolt
10-05-2011, 4:37 PM
beyond the OP issue of shipping and such....

it is unlawful to charge more than 35$ for a PPT. "markup" or "time and effort" be damned. Inform them of the law.

RollingCode3
10-05-2011, 4:54 PM
beyond the OP issue of shipping and such....

it is unlawful to charge more than 35$ for a PPT. "markup" or "time and effort" be damned. Inform them of the law.

unlawful about what? :confused: this thread is not about ppt !!!

Apec
10-05-2011, 5:11 PM
I envy the guys in the free states. I've seen FFLs there advertise transfers as low as 15, more commonly 25-30 for handguns or sometimes long guns. No pesky DROS fee either.

But I'll make do with 40+25 around where I live.

audiophil2
10-05-2011, 5:56 PM
The price is all about the FFL not wanting to do the transfer by making it cost prohibitive. I used to think it was because of the overhead involved in being a B&M shop but that is not the case. I can have pistols and guns shipped to over a dozen FFLs here in a 10 mile radius and they will charge anywhere from $0-25 based on my attitude, my spending habits, and their attitude and foot traffic.
If it was a paperwork issue I find it hard to believe since half a dozen FFLs in and around Phoenix charge $40 for NFA paperwork and that involves a wee bit more than a DROS and 4473.

Paul053
10-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong because I've started looking online as well for guns. I was told by a Turners rep that the $35 DROS is a face to face thing. The buyer and seller both walk into the same FFL to do a FTF transfer, total cost 35 bucks. But if I bought from a guy in another state and I wanted him to ship to that same Turners, they would charge the DROS ($35) plus their transfer fee ($100). True or not?

ke6guj
10-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong because I've started looking online as well for guns. I was told by a Turners rep that the $35 DROS is a face to face thing. The buyer and seller both walk into the same FFL to do a FTF transfer, total cost 35 bucks.true. $25 DROS + $10 dealer fee

But if I bought from a guy in another state and I wanted him to ship to that same Turners, they would charge the DROS ($35) plus their transfer fee ($100). True or not?

Close, the state DROS is $25, not $35, and then Turners would have their transfer fee of $100+.

Colt-45
10-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Glad a local guy, We The People Firearms, charges $65 OTD.

tuna quesadilla
10-05-2011, 11:09 PM
This statement makes it grlaringly obvious that your knowledge of the retail firearms business is exactly Zero

Next time you buy a gun from Joe's Big-Box Discount Online Gun Mart instead of supporting your local dealer (who in turn will support other local businesses, who in turn will support other local businesses, who.......) stop for a moment and think about why your dealer might want to charge you that fee... :facepalm:

Jyruiz
10-06-2011, 4:09 PM
Next time you buy a gun from Joe's Big-Box Discount Online Gun Mart instead of supporting your local dealer (who in turn will support other local businesses, who in turn will support other local businesses, who.......) stop for a moment and think about why your dealer might want to charge you that fee... :facepalm:

I don't know about the OP, but I tried to find a handgun I wanted to purchase locally, called every gun store in my area, but could not, and when I did, the dealer wanted a $100.00 more for the gun without magazines. So, I had to go online to buy it and have it transfered. Sometimes you just don't have a choice and have to go online. Lucky for me, Ammo Bros only charges $75.00 for the whole deal.

Salter77
10-06-2011, 7:54 PM
K&D Guns in San Bernardino charged me $60 OTD the last 2 times I shipped firearms in. Kevin is great to deal with and is always courteous and helpful with any questions.

tuna quesadilla
10-06-2011, 11:03 PM
I don't know about the OP, but I tried to find a handgun I wanted to purchase locally, called every gun store in my area, but could not, and when I did, the dealer wanted a $100.00 more for the gun without magazines. So, I had to go online to buy it and have it transfered. Sometimes you just don't have a choice and have to go online. Lucky for me, Ammo Bros only charges $75.00 for the whole deal.

Okay, I'll take the bait. What kind of firearm was it?

shadowofnight
10-07-2011, 3:44 AM
My last 3 pack ( NodaK 10-22 rifle receivers ) was 75 dollars, 25 dollars a piece...shipped from Minnesota to my FFL.

Whole rifles I have special ordered, where I did the purchasing away from the dealer...were 50 bucks a piece to ship to my FFL.

Whole rifles I have special ordered, where I actually ordered through the dealer ...no additional fee.