PDA

View Full Version : SF Gates spin of F&F...

Ratboy
10-04-2011, 9:23 PM
Hopefully not a duplicate: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/10/04/national/w123600D17.DTL

Doheny
10-04-2011, 9:26 PM
It's not the Gate's spin on it; it's a wire story via AP. The Sac Bee carried the same story (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/04/3959651/officials-bush-era-probe-permitted.html); I don't think they're overly liberal.

A lot of other papers/publications carried the same story (http://www.google.com/search?q=To+date+in+Wide+Receiver%2C+nine+people+h ave+been+charged+with+making+false+statements+in+a cquisition+of+firearms+and+illicit+transfer%2C+shi pment+or+delivery+of+firearms&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=To+date+in+Wide+Receiver,+nine+people+have+bee n+charged+with+making+false+statements+in+acquisit ion+of+firearms+and+illicit+transfer,+shipment+or+ delivery+of+firearms&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&ei=dOuLTsaQBeWtsAKxq-TSBA&start=0&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=7c74e1c1e5281000&biw=1056&bih=614). I haven't checked Vince's thread, but I'm guessing he has it in there somewhere.

Ratboy
10-04-2011, 9:29 PM
Yes, saw that. I was searching on SF Gate for articles on F&F and that seemed to be the main one.

Full Clip
10-04-2011, 9:59 PM
Wow, this should be filed under "spin," not "news."
However, key differences between Bush's program and Obama's, as the article notes:

To date in Wide Receiver, nine people have been charged with making false statements in acquisition of firearms and illicit transfer, shipment or delivery of firearms. Two of the nine defendants have pleaded guilty and a plea hearing is scheduled for Oct. 13 for two other defendants."

"Operation Fast and Furious came to light after two assault rifles purchased by a now-indicted small-time buyer under scrutiny in the operation turned up at a shootout in Arizona where Customs and Border Protection agent Brian Terry was killed."

oldrifle
10-04-2011, 10:39 PM
The AP has always had a liberal bias. It's probably the most liberal of any of the major news sources.

Cali-Shooter
10-04-2011, 10:45 PM
No surprise if SF gate spins these kinds of stories. They're almost as bad as HuffPo, which is a downright cesspool of progressive liberal groupthink.

radioman
10-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Guys I'm a liberal, this pissed me off, I didn't like Bush, but this is a GD LIE. this crap started in 2009 with the 90% lie, Bush had gone home by then. For some reason they don't want to print the truth, months ago I sent out emails about gun walker, no one wanted to talk about it. it took time for watergate to fester and it will take some time for this to fester too, but it will.

Anchors
10-04-2011, 11:48 PM
When in doubt, blame the guy before you/your candidate.

Full Clip
10-05-2011, 5:14 AM
it took time for watergate to fester and it will take some time for this to fester too, but it will.

Only if someone in the media smells a Pulitzer in it for them.

Sonic_mike
10-05-2011, 5:42 AM
Obama can do no wrong

Cali-Shooter
10-05-2011, 5:48 AM
Obama can do no wrong

:ban: :rofl:

Wherryj
10-05-2011, 8:35 AM
Hopefully not a duplicate: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/10/04/national/w123600D17.DTL

Perhaps is it less 'spin" and more "not wanting to be blacklisted like that CBS reporter for honestly covering this story"?

ccmc
10-05-2011, 8:45 AM
Perhaps is it less 'spin" and more "not wanting to be blacklisted like that CBS reporter for honestly covering this story"?

Like reporters for Pravda or Tass in the old Soviet days?

FastFinger
10-05-2011, 9:04 AM
Like reporters for Pravda or Tass in the old Soviet days?

Actually currently in Russia the press is pretty much controlled same as it was back in the old Soviet days. The more things change...

ccmc
10-05-2011, 9:08 AM
Actually currently in Russia the press is pretty much controlled same as it was back in the old Soviet days. The more things change...

So not much different than here is what you're saying :)

Wherryj
10-05-2011, 11:09 AM
So not much different than here is what you're saying :)

In the USSR, writers would be killed or sent to Siberia if they didn't behave. Here, they pretty much just police themselves-possibly via blacklisting, etc.

Quite a bit different, but both lead to the same end result.