PDA

View Full Version : Thought I would share my first gun from childhood

Steve1968LS2
10-04-2011, 3:50 PM
It's been years but I took my first gun out to the range.. still fun to shoot!

This was my Grandfathers and they lived in Bullhead City on the edge of Federal Land.. I remember being 12 years old and I would just grab this (Or his .22 rifle) and walk back into the gulley and shoot at cans and such I had set up. Pumped thousands of rounds through it. High Standard "Double Nine" (since it was double action and held 9 rounds)

Funny when you think about it, I was well trained in firearms safety and didn't need any supervision.. those were simpler times. The hammer actually had the striker on it. Given all the safety stuff on today's guns it's amazing I'm still alive!! lol

Best I can tell it was made in 1959 .. I don't shoot it much since I'm not sure I could get replacement parts. Bet it wasn't expensive when new. To me it's priceless.

Lots of wear but besides cleaning it's just as it was..
http://i52.tinypic.com/2i70d8m.jpg

Quickdraw Mcgraw
10-04-2011, 3:52 PM
Nice...sweet memory! You were a very lucky kid!

Aircraftman
10-04-2011, 5:35 PM
Great story and very nice firearm.

My story is similar, but it was my Dad's Colt Woodsman and we shot in the Everglades (Miami hometown). My older bro got the gun and he of course still has it and is teaching his son's to shoot it. I got a Python. You would think I got the better deal but we both wanted the Woodsman, been in the family for 50+ years. Python was fairly new and did not have the memories. I'd trade him in a minute...

Hope you are passing on to the next generation too. Thanks for Sharing!!

den888
10-04-2011, 5:37 PM
Nice story!

VegasND
10-04-2011, 5:44 PM
Cool story and a nice old revolver. Thanks for sharing.

bsg
10-04-2011, 5:51 PM
thank you for sharing. nice story and... keep those memories; don't let them go.

motorwerks
10-04-2011, 5:56 PM
Nice! We had one in the family like that but my mom sold it off before I was really into guns. I tried to get it and the Winchester 190 back about a year ago and was only successful on the 190, which kind of worked out ok because about a year prior I inherited a matching 190 from my wife's side of the family, and we had twins a few years back. I sure do miss that little revolver though.

aghauler
10-04-2011, 6:18 PM
Just saw a couple of these up on one of the auction sites on proxibid. I was kinda suprised as I haven't seen these around for awhile.

Steve1968LS2
10-04-2011, 8:42 PM
I heard the metal is "soft".. so I worry about shooting it too much. Not sure if it's true.

Interesting history of the gun:
http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/HSD9/hsd9.html

hkdad
10-04-2011, 9:08 PM
very nice story. thanks for sharing.

bzzz
10-05-2011, 12:01 AM
hey:

really nice story, i wish i had some tangible items from my grandfather.

guns will definitely hold more value and still be useful by the time i have grandkids, in contrast to alot of the electronic/computer stuff out there.

thanks for sharing.

joeb12
10-05-2011, 6:34 AM
Nice, Numerich sells some of the parts.