PDA

View Full Version : My Local FFL is being run out of bussiness by the city, is there anything he can do?

ECVMatt
10-04-2011, 4:41 PM
Without revealing too much, my local FFL is being denied the renewal of his business license. He has operated for 26 continuous years in the city with zero issues. This stemmed from a records inspection from the DOJ that included a member of the local business licensing authority. She had no knowledge of his business and expressed shock that it was operating. Shortly after this visit his renewal was denied. In his 26 years of business he has received no complaint for neighbors or any violations for the ATF or the DOJ. He has quietly runs his business from the back of his home as stated on his current business license.

Can he do anything?? I think I remember a thread similar to this, but can not find it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

anthonyca
10-04-2011, 4:46 PM
Tagged. I would like to see another city take a smackdown by the free people of the USA!

jeep7081
10-04-2011, 4:47 PM
Code Enforcement come out? If he is zoned residential, and has foot traffic coming in there. The city will shut him down regardless how long he has been doing it.

Someone else can chime in....

BigDogatPlay
10-04-2011, 4:51 PM
Code Enforcement come out? If he is zoned residential, and has foot traffic coming in there. The city will shut him down regardless how long he has been doing it.

Someone else can chime in....

^^^This^^^... the OP would need to give more detail for anyone to make any kind of informed opinion. And that's probably more than should be discussed on the interwebz.

The FFL should engage an attorney with expertise in fighting city hall. Could be a zoning issue, could be that the code enforcement person is acting capriciously, which if that's true could open the city in question to serious litigation.

BannedinBritain
10-04-2011, 4:51 PM
He can take them to court...that is always an option. As long as his business doesn't violate any local ordinances, it should be a slam dunk. Running a business from a home is always a tricky thing. For example, many local governments do not allow "walk-up" businesses to be run from the home because the traffic may cause problems in a residential area (this is just an example). If his business was in place before any restrictive ordinance was put in place, he should be entitled to be grandfathered in...but again, he would have to sue the local government, and that can get expensive. He should contact an attorney.

taperxz
10-04-2011, 4:53 PM
Different towns, cities, counties have different regulations. Without knowing/telling to much you really can't get an answer here.

wildhawker
10-04-2011, 4:56 PM
Here's the FFL's best plan, in order of importance:

1. Call Jason Davis.
2. Call Jason Davis.
3. Call Jason Davis.

-Brandon

Mr. Jason Davis
Davis and Associates
27281 Las Ramblas, Suite 200
Mission Viejo, CA 92691
info@calgunlawyers.com
T: 949.310.0817
F: 949.288.6894

Without revealing too much, my local FFL is being denied the renewal of his business license. He has operated for 26 continuous years in the city with zero issues. This stemmed from a records inspection from the DOJ that included a member of the local business licensing authority. She had no knowledge of his business and expressed shock that it was operating. Shortly after this visit his renewal was denied. In his 26 years of business he has received no complaint for neighbors or any violations for the ATF or the DOJ. He has quietly runs his business from the back of his home as stated on his current business license.

Can he do anything?? I think I remember a thread similar to this, but can not find it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

ECVMatt
10-04-2011, 5:26 PM
got it Brandon Thanks...info forwarded to FFL

Dave A
10-04-2011, 8:01 PM
There is a member here who operates his FFL out of his home in the Sacramento area. His business license was granted under condition that he not have walk in customers. All customers are by appointment.

jeep7081
10-04-2011, 8:06 PM
There is a member here who operates his FFL out of his home in the Sacramento area. His business license was granted under condition that he not have walk in customers. All customers are by appointment.

Cities don't allow walk-in customers, or by "appointment only" into residential areas. Most word it as "no foot traffic". If he gets caught, you will be posting for him as well. :D

dantodd
10-04-2011, 8:16 PM
Here's the FFL's best plan, in order of importance:

1. Call Jason Davis.
2. Call Jason Davis.
3. Call Jason Davis.

-Brandon

Mr. Jason Davis
Davis and Associates
27281 Las Ramblas, Suite 200
Mission Viejo, CA 92691
info@calgunlawyers.com
T: 949.310.0817
F: 949.288.6894

I might argue with the order but those are the 3 right things to do.

Ubermcoupe
10-04-2011, 9:03 PM
I might argue with the order but those are the 3 right things to do.

:rofl:

But yes, I agree.