PDA

View Full Version : IDPA: First Time Out

choprzrul
10-04-2011, 3:26 PM
So, last month I tried out USPSA and liked it, so I thought that I would try out IDPA this month as it sounded a bit different. I liked the stages and scenarios and generally really enjoyed myself. I did manage to place 2 very well positioned shots in the brain pan of 1 good guy. Yikes! Didn't notice the 2 hands painted on the target as I worked around the corner! 4 of the 6 stages were set up for the Postal Match, but I don't remember which of the 6???

Met some nice people, had a beautiful day, and got to shoot in competition. What could be better? Anyway, here are my results out of a field of 30:

Stage......x/30.......Score....Raw Time.....Penalties

1............7/30........26.24.....20.74...........5.50

2...........12/30.......22.12......16.12...........6.00

3...........27/30.......35.73......20.73.........15.00

4.............7/30........8.72.......6.72............2.00

5.............9/30.......35.44......29.94...........5.50 Started on this stage

6.............5/30........6.12.......6.12............0.00

Overall.....11/30......134.37.....48 pts down

@ USPSA I placed 25th out of 49, so I think that I improved a bit from my first action pistol match to my second. Next Saturday is USPSA again, so I am hoping to place in the top third or forth of the field. So far my Beretta 92fs is serving me well. I noticed that things are starting to slow down for me. Hopefully that will allow me to actually go faster while maintaining my accuracy.

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

hkdad
10-04-2011, 3:35 PM
very nice! practice practice practice!!! good to know that people are going out to actually shoot their guns! some people just let their guns rot in the safe and decide to be just internet warriors! :DDVC!

choprzrul
10-04-2011, 3:42 PM
very nice! practice practice practice!!! good to know that people are going out to actually shoot their guns! some people just let their guns rot in the safe and decide to be just internet warriors! :DDVC!

Yep, and something tells me that the new progressive press isn't going to be sitting idle either.....

hkdad
10-04-2011, 3:54 PM
Yep, and something tells me that the new progressive press isn't going to be sitting idle either.....

it's a necessity if you shoot ipsc (uspsa).:D i wish more gun owners will participate in more shooting events.

dholla
10-04-2011, 3:55 PM
Where are ya shooting at?

choprzrul
10-04-2011, 4:09 PM
it's a necessity if you shoot ipsc (uspsa).:D i wish more shooters will participate in more shooting events.

I send out texts and Facebook updates to friends, but nobody else ever seems to show up???

I spent years thinking that there was no way that I would ever be good enough to shoot @ one of these matches. Boy did I get an eye opener last month when threw caution to the wind and went for it. Great stuff people. Nice people engaging in an exciting sport under blue skies. Now I can see why shooting is the national past time for Switzerland!

I shoot @ SLOSA

Now if only I could talk Scott and Randy over at Apex Tactical Specialties into loaning me one of their new M&Ps for additional field testing. Maybe something like "look at how well this noob shoots when using our tuned gun with new barrel" marketing angle.....

shooting4life
10-04-2011, 4:15 PM
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

choprzrul
10-04-2011, 4:20 PM
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

^^My wife's motto when shooting^^

Used that mentality @ USPSA last month. Everyone kept telling me that I needed to go faster; but I just took my time and concentrated on safety and shot placement. Ended up 25/49 for the day, so I think that I was going fast enough for my first time.

Seriously guys and gals, get out there and DO IT. Make it happen, you will be glad that you did.

esartori
10-04-2011, 4:21 PM
glad you enjoyed it! I have been looking to get into some competitions, but unfortunately the apartment I live in is not conducive to reloading (small room, multiple roommates) and shooting factory .45 is not cheap. Maybe getting a 9mm is in order... :)

choprzrul
10-04-2011, 4:40 PM
glad you enjoyed it! I have been looking to get into some competitions, but unfortunately the apartment I live in is not conducive to reloading (small room, multiple roommates) and shooting factory .45 is not cheap. Maybe getting a 9mm is in order... :)

Steel Challenge has .22 division that would be easier to swing economically. Beretta Neos and a couple of 555s would last you a year.

esartori
10-04-2011, 4:43 PM
Awesome! I will definitely have to look into that. I want to eventually get into competitions with my non .22's as well. Just need more money haha

RippSpeed
10-04-2011, 4:43 PM
Awesome... I see a couple of guys on here always @ Norco Run & Gun ...

hkdad
10-04-2011, 4:44 PM
Steel Challenge has .22 division that would be easier to swing economically. Beretta Neos and a couple of 555s would last you a year.

that's what i shoot for steel challenge. a .22!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/bnitsche/IMAG0274.jpg

himurax13
10-04-2011, 4:46 PM
it's a necessity if you shoot ipsc (uspsa).:D i wish more gun owners will participate in more shooting events.

Yes, I am tired of seeing the same faces over and over again. :rolleyes:

P.S. It should read "I wish more gun owners would bring their single female friends to participate in more shooting events." :D

choprzrul
10-04-2011, 4:52 PM
I think that the USPSA match last month had right at 25% female paticipation.

"Shoot like a girl.....if you can"

VictorFranko
10-04-2011, 5:00 PM
Kev, welcome to IDPA!
As far as hitting a hostage target, you're the first and only one EVER to that! :p

hkdad
10-04-2011, 5:03 PM
Kev, welcome to IDPA!
As far as hitting a hostage target, you're the first and only one EVER to that! :p

hey Matt, you still shoot IDPA @ ISI? i haven't seen you lately...

Kodemonkey
10-04-2011, 5:32 PM
Welcome to the sport. I actually find I use less ammo running through IDPA in a day compared to shooting at the range. Once you make an initial investment in gear, you can go for a long time on that investment. Of course, I like to rotate through different guns (often I will run different guns on the same day) so that ups my equipment cost, but I like the variety.

VictorFranko
10-04-2011, 5:38 PM
hey Matt, you still shoot IDPA @ ISI? i haven't seen you lately...

I took a couple months off to catch up on some life stuff. Darn life, why does it always have to get in the way of fun????
I shot the last compact and regular matches in September.
I will be there this Saturday for compact again, heck, I shoot my G19 better than I shoot my G17 for some reason :confused:

JaeOne3345
10-04-2011, 6:13 PM
Welcome to the sport!

Most people just make tons of excuses about why they do not participate in more events that involve actually shooting their guns.

All you have to do is just go once. You'll be hooked.

Most of my friends that got me into firearms have guns that get shot 3 times a year max. They seem intimidated or whatever.

Oh well, more time for me to shoot with less waiting, LOL.

Corbin Dallas
10-04-2011, 7:06 PM
Again as mentioned, welcome to IDPA.

Just from the short look at your score it appears to me you need to work on your accuracy.

Whenever I shoot any IDPA event I try my hardest to achieve between 1 and 2 points down per stage.

If I finish the day with 0 down I'm going too slow.
If I finish the day with more than 2 down per stage average, I'm going too fast.

This is my own goal, your mileage may vary and as such you should set your own goals.

IDPA is a great sport in which YOU the shooter can figure out where changes in your technique can be modified to better increase speed and accuracy while under pressure to perform.

Remember, YOU are only competiting against the timer. How the rest of the group does is only important if you are playing the game.

Welcome!

choprzrul
10-04-2011, 8:48 PM
what really hurt was shooting the good guy on stage 3. Being only my second time out, I was still trying to find that balance between speed and accuracy. The thread that I started after the USPSA match last month gathered a lot of feedback indicating that I needed to speed up. I will learn......

Gryff
10-04-2011, 9:11 PM
Be careful about trying to push your speed up too fast. As a newer competitor, you are better off focusing on being smooth and efficient rather than "fast."

himurax13
10-04-2011, 9:12 PM
what really hurt was shooting the good guy on stage 3. Being only my second time out, I was still trying to find that balance between speed and accuracy. The thread that I started after the USPSA match last month gathered a lot of feedback indicating that I needed to speed up. I will learn......

You are complaining about shooting a good guy? I used to average two per match. :( Anywhoo, I just strive to shoot each stage as efficiently as possible. Above all I just try to have fun.

hkdad
10-04-2011, 9:16 PM
I took a couple months off to catch up on some life stuff. Darn life, why does it always have to get in the way of fun????
I shot the last compact and regular matches in September.
I will be there this Saturday for compact again, heck, I shoot my G19 better than I shoot my G17 for some reason :confused:

haha.. same thing here. i shoot the G19 better than the G17. See you at the range Matt. :2guns:

-Byron

Javi
10-04-2011, 9:48 PM

Get the Lee handloader! :)

VictorFranko
10-05-2011, 8:49 AM

Accuracy comes with speed :43:

Briancnelson
10-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Looks like good fun, been considering joining up myself once I get my new XD sorted to my liking.

choprzrul
10-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Anyone going to be at the USPSA match @ SLOSA this Saturday? I think that I might send out a SLO county PM blast to everyone on my list :D

protoolsnerd
10-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Hey Victor I'm going to be at the Piru match this saturday as well. I had such an amazing time a couple weeks ago that i gots ta go back. I'm still going to shoot my full size xd but i have no compacts and to hell if i'm going to try and shoot a python on that course .

what time are you going ?

Say hi ! You too HK dad . I saw one guy wearing your crew's shirt but everyone else had gone. He shot i think the 3rd stage super late in the day when i did .

I'll be carrying a big *** XD-9 with a goofy looking abel lincoln beard , oh and my new gold ears !!! first pair of electronic cans....so amazing

hkdad
10-06-2011, 8:13 AM
Hey Victor I'm going to be at the Piru match this saturday as well. I had such an amazing time a couple weeks ago that i gots ta go back. I'm still going to shoot my full size xd but i have no compacts and to hell if i'm going to try and shoot a python on that course .

Say hi ! You too HK dad . I saw one guy wearing your crew's shirt but everyone else had gone. He shot i think the 3rd stage super late in the day when i did .

I'll be carrying a big *** XD-9 with a goofy looking abel lincoln beard , oh and my new gold ears !!! first pair of electronic cans....so amazing

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this Saturday. My crew will be shooting action pistol at deadwoodboys though. Anybody tried shooting IDPA at 1800club americana? It's located in santa clarita. They host IDPA matches every 2nd Sunday of the month. I might try it out it this Sunday.

HighLander51
10-06-2011, 8:42 AM
khdad, where is the 1800 club located at? The website doesn't really say, I'm thinking of going Sunday also.

hkdad
10-06-2011, 8:56 AM
khdad, where is the 1800 club located at? The website doesn't really say, I'm thinking of going Sunday also.

San francisquito cyn. It's before you reach "a place to shoot" if you are coming from valencia.

VictorFranko
10-06-2011, 9:17 AM

Nerd, I'll be there 7:45ish. My crew gets there early.
Compact day is usually a small crowd and we shoot two times through.
It should really go fast without Byron and his huge crew there :p
Second time through is only $15.
I approached a new guy two weeks ago, but it wasn't you. Abe Lincoln beard and gold ears, got it!

Kodemonkey
10-06-2011, 10:05 AM
hkdad - any other info on the 1800 club? I'll be at Piru Saturday, but I might check them out. It's a little closer to home for me. Maybe not this Sunday - but I might try it next month.

Any idea how many people are usually there? How many stages do they have setup?

I know you said you haven't been yet, but was curious if you knew the answers.

darkgrue
10-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Anybody tried shooting IDPA at 1800club americana? It's located in santa clarita. They host IDPA matches every 2nd Sunday of the month. I might try it out it this Sunday.

That's my regular range. I'm there every weekend for skeet, but I'm also a regular for IDPA now for about a year (wow, it's been that long?). I really enjoy it, and always look forward to the matches.

Hopefully should have some really good weather there for Sunday. It's really cooled off suddenly (and rained hard), but it looks like Sunday will be sunny and warm, but not hot.

hkdad - any other info on the 1800 club? I'll be at Piru Saturday, but I might check them out. It's a little closer to home for me. Maybe not this Sunday - but I might try it next month.

I can probably answer that. :)

Any idea how many people are usually there? How many stages do they have setup?

Turnouts as of late have been pretty good. Anywhere between 35-44+ people.

Six stages, across three fields. Because of the increased number of people, we've had to take over the rifle range. Used to use just two fields, we're hoping spreading it out a little more will help us finish earlier.

The RO's do their best to accomodate issues for folks who are just starting and don't have regulation gear, or those who have medical issues and can perform some of the required motions. Safety is #1, of course - no compromises there. Nothing but nice things to say about the people - it's a very informal and social atmosphere.

Registration starts at 8:30 AM, the match should start at 9AM. The match fee is (currently) $10.

Kodemonkey
10-06-2011, 12:10 PM
I can probably answer that. :)

Thanks for the info! Definitely priced well. I will definitely check it out - wife and kids permitting!

billybob_jcv
10-06-2011, 2:25 PM
Hey guys - I've never been to a match of any kind, and I'm only about 30 minutes from Piru. Is it OK to go on Saturday and just watch? Does it cost anything to just be a spectator?

choprzrul
10-06-2011, 2:50 PM
Hey guys - I've never been to a match of any kind, and I'm only about 30 minutes from Piru. Is it OK to go on Saturday and just watch? Does it cost anything to just be a spectator?

Shoot!

I just threw caution to the wind and jumped in @ SLOSA last month. At a minimum, take all of your equipment along. No better time to start learning than RIGHT NOW!

Action pistol shooting is too much fun. Get off of the sidelines and just do it!

Kodemonkey
10-06-2011, 3:51 PM

If you don't have a holster, I believe they will allow you to shoot "low ready". They will score you but you won't win a pin if you win your division (no big deal). But a cheap unlce mikes holster and mag carrier is around $40 total.

Things you would need are:

3 magazines (you MIGHT be able to get by with 2, but 3 is a good number)
comfortable shoes
A vest or light jacket for cover (if you don't have a cover garment they will let you shoot, they will score you, but you won't qualify for a pin).

Just let them know you are new to the sport. The Safety Officer will take you to a private place to go over the rules and show you how to draw safely (5 minutes tops).

Main thing is to be safe and have fun.

You are more than welcome to watch. Just bring hearing protection and eye protection. You can sit at the tables right where everyone else squads up so you are up close with everyone else. I've seen several spectators there, but I highly recommend you bring your gun if you decide you want to give it a run after watching it for 10 minutes.

Everyone is very friendly there and they are always welcoming new shooters. This Saturday is a good day to go because it isn't as crowded. Only downside is you will miss out on the shooters meeting and the food truck (that is there on the IDPA days on the 4th saturday - It is compact and revolver IDPA on the 2nd. However, you can absolutely shoot a full size pistol and still compete. You just get lumped in with the "non-compact" class. Don't sweat those details...)

Oh, and being a spectator is 100% free. There is no "entry gate". When you pay you get a score sheet and hand it to the RO at each stage.

Kodemonkey
10-06-2011, 4:06 PM
Byron,

Scores just got posted and you won CDP. Beating my buddy EJ by almost 6 seconds.

I did not fair so well, but holy crap were there a lot of people in SSP! That's got to be a record number of marksmen...

billybob_jcv
10-06-2011, 5:14 PM
Thanks guys - I'm one of those people that needs to observe for a while before I can jump in - I'm not sure why - I probably wasn't loved enough (or maybe it's beat enough?) as a child... :willy_nilly:

Gryff
10-06-2011, 5:15 PM
I did not fair so well, but holy crap were there a lot of people in SSP! That's got to be a record number of marksmen...

The two most common guns used in IDPA are 1911s and Glocks. And more newer competitors tend to be running Glocks than anything else.

billybob_jcv
10-06-2011, 7:05 PM
If the price of ammo keeps increasing, they may have to start an airsoft category - and we'll just have to yell "BANG-CLANG!" as we're shooting... :facepalm:

Kodemonkey
10-06-2011, 7:12 PM
If the price of ammo keeps increasing, they may have to start an airsoft category - and we'll just have to yell "BANG-CLANG!" as we're shooting... :facepalm:

You won't be putting that many rounds downrange in IDPA. I usually shoot between 80-150 in a typical match at ISI. It's actually not a pocketbook killer.

RippSpeed
10-06-2011, 10:13 PM

buy decent reloads or start loading your own ammo ... Thats what I had to do ... I started loading after using close to a 1000rds of mix 45, 40, and 9mm in less that 2 days. But, I've cut down on range time and spend more time @ USPSA matches...

It'll be cheaper to do your own reloads but the savings is offset because you just shoot more...

ps back east and overseas theres already a airsoft division in IPSC

hkdad
10-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Byron,

Scores just got posted and you won CDP. Beating my buddy EJ by almost 6 seconds.

wow :eek: i'm pretty surprised! :confused: i "effed up" on two stages... specially the one shooting from the hip.

billybob_jcv
10-07-2011, 12:47 AM
buy decent reloads or start loading your own ammo ... Thats what I had to do ... I started loading after using close to a 1000rds of mix 45, 40, and 9mm in less that 2 days. But, I've cut down on range time and spend more time @ USPSA matches...

It'll be cheaper to do your own reloads but the savings is offset because you just shoot more...

ps back east and overseas theres already a airsoft division in IPSC

Apparently, Airsoft IPSC is also big in Hong Kong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PB7BNo0zWM

That's really not my cup of tea... (pun intended!)

RoadKing
10-07-2011, 9:06 AM
wow :eek: i'm pretty surprised :confused: i "effed up" on two stages... specially the one shooting from the hip.

I was surprised I came in 2nd after that hip shooting stage and completely blowing one of the other stages. I added up my points down and was sure I would be at the bottom of the page that round! Guess you never know:).

Nice shootin Byron!

Ej

Kodemonkey
10-07-2011, 10:16 AM
wow :eek: i'm pretty surprised! :confused: i "effed up" on two stages... specially the one shooting from the hip.

I'll let EJ know that you still beat him after doing horrible :D

Yeah, Bruce's "shooting from the hip" stage was way harder than I thought it would be. A lot of people shot into the dirt that day.

Edit: just noticed EJ posted right above me. duh...

JaeOne3345
10-07-2011, 10:37 AM

You sir, need to reload. Then you can start gaming it with loads that meet the 125 power factor. Hehe.

hkdad
10-07-2011, 6:08 PM
I was surprised I came in 2nd after that hip shooting stage and completely blowing one of the other stages. I added up my points down and was sure I would be at the bottom of the page that round! Guess you never know:).

Nice shootin Byron!

Ej

Thanks! Good shooting EJ!

Rugerdaddy
10-08-2011, 12:56 AM
I like the way they handle newbies at Sac Valley. I know because I was one about a year ago. You are required to attend an intro course on a Saturday before the Sunday match. They work you up from shooting statically, to moving, and then a few simple stages to get the idea. It's a lot of fun, and only $25 for a whole day of shooting and instruction! After taking the intro course, you don't feel like a complete newb at your first match, only a partial newb. :)

billybob_jcv
10-08-2011, 1:15 PM
I went to Piru this morning and lurked from the back of the range (I didn't shoot). It did look like fun! I was happy to see folks just as old and slow as I am on the stages - and plenty of misses on the big steel poppers to make me believe you really don't have to be a tack driver to play. I'll save my pennies and think about someday trying it myself... :)

I also went up the hill and watched the Action Pistol guys and the California Wheelgunners for a little bit. They seemed a bit more intense - tricked out rigs with mags & speedloaders sprouting out of every square inch of their belt.