PDA

View Full Version : My Concern with Long Gun Registration

goodlookin1
10-04-2011, 1:37 PM
If we have learned anything from handgun registration here in CA, it's that we know there can be a problem with LEO encounters if we are found with a handgun that is not registered to our (or nobody's) name. At the very least, there are questions ("Who's gun is this?", "Why do you have it if it's not in your name?", "What are you doing with it?", etc). They can easily look up handgun serials and see if it's attached to someone's name, and if it doesnt match the person who is in possession of it, it creates automatic suspicion of illegal activity. That's a bad way to start off an LEO encounter. You are now put on the defensive and have to explain your way out of being a suspect! What's worse is that LEO have now been so accustomed to being able to look up a handgun and find the relevant info that it's far and few between when one is not registered. It's now to the point that many LEO ignorant of the law concerning grandfathered handguns think that registration has always been mandatory, hence the suspicion of illegal activity when one is found unregistered. Of course, this is not always the case with every LEO, but it is still prevalent amongst many uninformed departments.

Now comes the rifle registration. Along with this new law comes the grandfathering clause, which allows unregistered rifles to stay unregistered. Same deal as with the handguns 11 years ago. My fear is this: What happens, say 10 years from now, when I am out legally shooting my legally purchased rifle before the "rifle registration" era and I get pulled over by CHP or stopped by Forrest Service LEO and they give me The 3rd Degree because my rifle is not registered. Now I am instantly a suspect, deemed worthy of such a title at least by Reasonable Articulable Suspicion, but most likely Probable Cause, simply because of some stupid, pointless law brought forth by a legislator who is quite possibly devoid of any intelligence.

It's evident that these laws are created to label the type of people they dont like or agree with as "law breakers", but thinly veil it in the name of "more tools to fight crime". This type of legislation serves nothing more than to turn more innocent, law abiding citizens into law breakers, deserving of the punishment. This, my fellow gunners, is the epitome of a tyrannical government.

rspar
10-04-2011, 2:06 PM
What he said ^

bwiese
10-04-2011, 2:09 PM
So the real 'fix' is for everyone to register a bunch of (AK, MAC, etc.) receiver flats as rifles.

Populate that database with (legal) junk.

Yes, everyone will have something reg'd to them. But if every CA gun owner did this the costs of data entry would be high, the database would likely have entry errors [possibly useful for later matters] and there'd be enough 'familiarity breeds contempt' by LEOs such that when "has a gun" appears on their MDT, it's near-customary and does not elicit panic.

M1A Rifleman
10-04-2011, 2:22 PM
How might this be different from what happens today? My understanding is LE will not release a weapon they confiscated/impounded without proof of ownership.

Knife Edge
10-04-2011, 2:24 PM
If we have learned anything from handgun registration here in CA, it's that we know there can be a problem with LEO encounters if we are found with a handgun that is not registered to our (or nobody's) name. At the very least, there are questions ("Who's gun is this?", "Why do you have it if it's not in your name?", "What are you doing with it?", etc). They can easily look up handgun serials and see if it's attached to someone's name, and if it doesnt match the person who is in possession of it, it creates automatic suspicion of illegal activity. That's a bad way to start off an LEO encounter. You are now put on the defensive and have to explain your way out of being a suspect! What's worse is that LEO have now been so accustomed to being able to look up a handgun and find the relevant info that it's far and few between when one is not registered. It's now to the point that many LEO ignorant of the law concerning grandfathered handguns think that registration has always been mandatory, hence the suspicion of illegal activity when one is found unregistered. Of course, this is not always the case with every LEO, but it is still prevalent amongst many uninformed departments.

Now comes the rifle registration. Along with this new law comes the grandfathering clause, which allows unregistered rifles to stay unregistered. Same deal as with the handguns 11 years ago. My fear is this: What happens, say 10 years from now, when I am out legally shooting my legally purchased rifle before the "rifle registration" era and I get pulled over by CHP or stopped by Forrest Service LEO and they give me The 3rd Degree because my rifle is not registered. Now I am instantly a suspect, deemed worthy of such a title at least by Reasonable Articulable Suspicion, but most likely Probable Cause, simply because of some stupid, pointless law brought forth by a legislator who is quite possibly devoid of any intelligence.

It's evident that these laws are created to label the type of people they dont like or agree with as "law breakers", but thinly veil it in the name of "more tools to fight crime". This type of legislation serves nothing more than to turn more innocent, law abiding citizens into law breakers, deserving of the punishment. This, my fellow gunners, is the epitome of a tyrannical government.

Very concise and well stated.

Smokeybehr
10-04-2011, 2:34 PM
All we need to do is to point to the failure of the Canadian LGR, as well as the failure of all of the Brady laws, and the failures of the Fed AWB, and the RRAWCA failures, and all the loopholes in all the other laws that allow us to have OLLs and NRPs. We should also point out the LACK of crimes committed with long guns.

To me, it seems like another way for the state to try and squeeze a few more dollars out of the law-abiding.

Librarian
10-04-2011, 2:53 PM
What happens will be the same as unregistered rifles and handguns now.

Uninformed, poorly trained person ruins your day, until a supervisor or a lawyer explains that there is no requirement that any individual firearm, other than a RAW, be registered.

See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Firearms_registration

Untamed1972
10-04-2011, 2:56 PM
Did the long-gun reg' bill get signed into law? or is it still pending on JB's desk?

Librarian
10-04-2011, 3:59 PM
Still pending as of now.

easy
10-04-2011, 5:43 PM
What happens will be the same as unregistered rifles and handguns now.

Uninformed, poorly trained person ruins your day, until a supervisor or a lawyer explains that there is no requirement that any individual firearm, other than a RAW, be registered.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=617464

Dreaded Claymore
10-04-2011, 5:58 PM
So the real 'fix' is for everyone to register a bunch of (AK, MAC, etc.) receiver flats as rifles.

Yes, everyone will have something reg'd to them. But if every CA gun owner did this the costs of data entry would be high, the database would likely have entry errors [possibly useful for later matters] and there'd be enough 'familiarity breeds contempt' by LEOs such that when "has a gun" appears on their MDT, it's near-customary and does not elicit panic.

Okay, that's a cool idea. :thumbsup:

Kodemonkey
10-04-2011, 6:00 PM

I disagree that costs of the database entry would be high. They recoup those costs in the fees. And, since we now know the fees they collect are more than the actual cost to handle the paperwork, the DOJ would like nothing more than for us to register a bunch of receiver flats because it is more revenue.

I conpletely agree with the OP. In ten years I can see my rifles and shotguns being confiscated by unaware LEOs and making it a pain in the butt to get my property back.

SwissFluCase
10-04-2011, 6:04 PM

They could be made out of the cheapest materials available. Just strong enough to fire a few shots. I am envisioning a new Calguns business card... :43:

Regards,

SwissFluCase

luckystrike
10-04-2011, 6:11 PM

they wouldnt care, just a longer day at work. and why would you want them to have entry errors? so we can get pulled over and get harassed and maybe go to jail?

timdps
10-04-2011, 7:30 PM
They could be made out of the cheapest materials available. Just strong enough to fire a few shots. I am envisioning a new Calguns business card... :43:

Regards,

SwissFluCase

Mini aluminum AK receivers?

tuna quesadilla
10-04-2011, 7:37 PM

DING DING DING.

You've broken the code. See below:

The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.