PDA

View Full Version : Which universal decapper will withstand 223/308 crimped primers?

problemchild
10-04-2011, 2:24 PM
I went to buy a universal decapper die and am reading conflicting reviews as to the durability.

Suggestions for 223/308 universal decappers that wont break?

joelogic
10-04-2011, 2:27 PM
The Dillon universal works great but I like just using the sizing die. For popping out media from the flash hole just back the die off a couple of turns.

Universal dies do not index off the neck so pins are easier to break compared to a sizing die that has the carbide ball to center the shell.

I hated the collet type, they never worked for me.

XDRoX
10-04-2011, 2:31 PM
I've never read of problems with decapping crimped primers. I do own an RCBS universal decapper and have never had a problem decapping anything, even crimped primers. In fact you can hardly notice the difference.

But if some of them are hard to remove, the RCBS feels really well built.

XDRoX
10-04-2011, 2:33 PM
Also, regarding your thread title, you meant crimped primers, right?

AlliedArmory
10-04-2011, 2:40 PM
I use the Lee for all of mine and works perfectly fine. You mean crimped primer pockets right?

Peter W Bush
10-04-2011, 2:49 PM
Lee.

FLIGHT762
10-04-2011, 2:56 PM
Looks like the Lee would be the way to go. I also have a RCBS and have snapped a couple of pins off with crimped primers.

Here's a review that explains why the Lee is a good choice.

http://www.tngun.com/2011/09/lee-universal-decapping-die-review/

problemchild
10-04-2011, 3:52 PM
If you go to Midway and read the bottom reviews on the decappers they are pretty bad.

Jeff Scobee of Chanute, KS
Date posted: 1/31/2010
Took it out of the box and began depriming 223 cases, the pin broke on the 20'th case, I am not real happy with it.
Was this review helpful?
Yes |
No
0 found it helpful |
4 did not
1 stars
Willard Rodarmel of Lemoore, CA
Date posted: 7/1/2010
I order this just to use for my 204 Ruger brass. BUT it's too large and the .204 will not fit, I called Lee to see if maybe I just got a BAD one. The guy I spoke with told me NO IT WILL NOT FIT THE 204 OR THE 17, SO I asked why is it called "Lee Universal Depriming and Decapping Die" told him it should be noted on the packaging. Then he told me the 204 & 17 cal came after this die was made. I made it work for my 204 by putting in my lathe and turning it down by .025/1000" and now it works GREAT. The reason for 1 star is due to me having to work on it to get it to its job. SO if you need a Depriming and Decapping Die for your 204 or 17 this will not do it out of the package.
Was this review helpful?
Yes |
No
0 found it helpful |
0 did not
1 stars
JAMES COLEMAN of LOBELVILLE, TN
Date posted: 9/27/2011
I have purchased several Lee products in the past with no problems, with this depriming die, I set it as directed and broke the pin on the first case I tried, I bought an extra pin tried it and it broke also, I wouldn't purchase another one. I will try another brand even if it's more expensive. Most rule of thumb you get what you pay for.
Was this review helpful?
Yes |
No
0 found it helpful |
0 did not
1 stars
Charles Bost of Greenville, GA
Date posted: 3/9/2010
Pin broke on the third case I tried... I HAD THE DIE PROPERLY SET-UP! I wish I could give it ZERO stars!
Was this review helpful?
Yes |
No
0 found it helpful |
0 did not
1 stars
James Montague of Hemet, CA
Date posted: 10/25/2010
You get what you pay for. I broke the tip off on the first 45LC case I attempted to de-prime. Pin was suppose to retract to avoid this. That didn't happen. No instruction come with this tool.
Was this review helpful?
Yes |
No
0 found it helpful |
0 did not
1 stars
Franklin P of Bakersfield, CA
Date posted: 4/19/2011
I had high expectation for this product. Read a few positive review on how useful it is. Many say the decapping pin won't break, well mine did break. I've been trying to get a hold of a human being from Lee & all I've gotten is a recoding machine. I will never buy another Lee product.
Was this review helpful?
Yes |
No
0 found it helpful |
0 did not
1 stars
Leroy Jenk of BR, LA
Date posted: 9/12/2011
Well I got this product because it seemed to be a good price and got great reviews. I broke the first pin on the 4th case and the second pin on the 11th case. I have been reloading for a while and had everything set up correctly. I may have just gotten faulty pins, but that is just unacceptable.
Was this review helpful?
Yes |
No
0 found it helpful |
0 did not
1 stars
Pete S of Kaufman, TX
Date posted: 7/29/2011
The problem with this die is that decapper pin does not retract, as it should, if it encounters a 308 crimped primer and instead breaks. Broke the decapper pin on my 1st 308 military brass case. On cases without a crimped primer, it works. Very disappointed since Lee products generally performs as stated or better in the description. Practically all my reloading dies are Lee. Also broke my only spare rifle decapper pin so I might have a defective die (not a high volume loader but, until today, I had only broken 1 decapping pin and that was 20 years ago). I have concluded this die does not work on my military rifle 308 brass which was the main reason I

problemchild
10-04-2011, 4:02 PM
The Dillon universal works great but I like just using the sizing die. For popping out media from the flash hole just back the die off a couple of turns.

Universal dies do not index off the neck so pins are easier to break compared to a sizing die that has the carbide ball to center the shell.

I hated the collet type, they never worked for me.

Spoke to dillon they said there pin is 2-3 times the size of the other brands and very stout. He said it would punch through the brass and knock out berdan primers as a testament to how strong they were, wow.

I ordered one right away. Ill post back how it works.

NotEnufGarage
10-04-2011, 4:03 PM
Lee works great for me!

SDawson
10-04-2011, 4:44 PM
I have punched through several berdan primed cases with my Lee universal die without any issues.

bohoki
10-04-2011, 6:57 PM
the only time ive broken lee pins is a primer fell in the case and i didnt notice it and i crunched it

the sucker even survives berdan it presses up and out but a loose primer in the case will cause it to skew in there and snap off

C.G.
10-04-2011, 9:35 PM
The only thing I've liked from Lee, works well.

Low-Pressure
10-05-2011, 1:12 AM
Lee works!

Sunwolf
10-08-2011, 9:30 AM
No problems ever with the LEE.

EL_NinO619
10-08-2011, 10:17 AM
LEE has a very good system, as in the depriming pin will back out before it breaks. I have deprimed literally thousands of .308 with my lee die. And when i run in to a berdan primed case, the sizer pops out.

cpatbay
10-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Lee is what I use. Great support if you broke the pin, too.

pisarski
10-08-2011, 8:16 PM
i use a lee and broke a pin but it was not lee fault that it broke it was me and lee sent me a new pin no charge

fatfreadiescat
10-08-2011, 9:31 PM
Lee

Justintoxicated
10-09-2011, 9:45 AM
I'm not a fan of lee dies, but they certainly got the decapping die correct. The pins are super stout and cheap too. The shaft segment of the pin is very thick.

I don't have the dillon to compare but for such a cheap die the Lee is great, you really don't need anything more than a cheap die for decapping.

Look at this thing.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=274540

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=136543

For like $13 you can get a spare a couple spare pins too. I have yet to break one but the pins are nice for poping out media in flash holes too.

mjmagee67
10-09-2011, 10:27 AM
My Lee has never failed to push out any primer crimped, crimped, or whatever. It also has never broken when I hit a berdan hard, stopped the rock chucker cold but never missed a beat.

One thing I did so is round off the center pin holder---it has a flat bottom, if you don't center up the shell you can bend the case mouth, I just rounded the pin holder and now if you don't center the shell it moves it and doesn't bent the mouth.

Sunday
10-12-2011, 7:41 AM
My Dillon dies hold up just fine , Last summer I did 5,000 5.56 rounds the crimp is not an issue with quality products. Dillon is top quality.

problemchild
10-12-2011, 8:53 AM
I got two, the dillon and the Lee. Thanks guys........