View Full Version : Steven Harris

10-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Sorry if this is any type of dup.

What do you guys think about this guy? I don't have a frame of reference but this guy sure seems to know what he is talking about. I heard him on the www.thesurvivalpodcast.com the other day and have been reading and listening to him.

Take a listen before commenting on what I list below. He seems to have a very good justification for each item, but I know some of it seems to run contrary to things we have talked about on this forum before.

Some things he says - 100 gallons of instant water storage in minutes if a disaster happen: in trash bags place in boxes.

- don't use any rechargeable batteries for anything your life depends on (flashlight, radio)

-He recommends only D cell batter operated items. Says AA are way to underpowered. Says wind up radios spring life is like 100 hours but a D cell operated radio will way outlast the spring life.

- Date on batteries only mean that after 5 years of production the battery stored at room temperature will maintain 80-85% of its energy.

- Says the best long term food storage is flour and oil used to make cake like items. Will store indefinitely.

10-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Well I have never heard of him. I agree with the instant water storage and the thought is consistent with government manuals on a nuclear event for securing clean and safe water (plastic bag / sealed in a container). I personally prefer the 18 gallon plastic containers from Wallyworld for $5 a piece. I keep more than enough 30 gallon bags to go inside and have plenty of room to tie off. I figure a 'net" 15 gallons each and 120lbs or so I can still manage them.

10-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I think he is not as knows, but his thoughts and ideas seem to be very well thought out and justified. He also has some great stuff on using all types of fuel sources and even running vehicles on wood fuel.

Still curious to see what some of you other guys think about his ideas good/bad.

10-07-2011, 4:30 AM
Is that instant water as in, dehydrated water? Just need to add water?

10-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Yeah, yeah... probably more appropriate to say finding capacity for the water instantly.