PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Weapon Mounted Flashlights

Magdalena
10-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Hello All,
I'm new to the whole forum thing (so bear with me), but have a couple things I want to throw out there: I've got high powered weapon mounted flashlights that are wireless, with the remote controls integrated directly into the rifle grips of AR/M16, as well as grip integrated remote controls for AK's (getting rid of the 'mousetail' all together). I've sent out a couple grip rc's and lights to interested folks who are building their AR's and upgrading their AK 47's the response has been incredibly positive. I want to know what some of you think. I've included a couple pictures and quick examples of my work. All opinions, questions and interest is welcomed.
Notes on the pics: I've included a couple examples of the flashlight body, and coinciding grip rc's. Also, I've included a pic of a new AK 47 mounting bracket (AK 47 Upgrade) that we've created, that accommodates both picatinny/weaver mounted accessories on the AK 47. (and the pic files are giant-to see detail)Let me know what you think!
M

tomd1584
10-04-2011, 11:34 AM
how reliable have these been proven to be? Are they being field tested by anyone? I think it's an interesting idea, but until it can be proven to be just as reliable as a SF weapon light & tape switch, then it shouldn't belong on a HD/patrol weapon.

Perhaps you can get in contact with someone like MilitaryMoron or the likes and have it field tested?

thumbs up though on the idea!

Merc1138
10-04-2011, 11:53 AM
It sounds like a great idea, but wireless means that the transmitter needs a battery(or some sort of power). The flashlight now needs some kind of receiver, and uses a small amount of power to keep that receiver active. What about the possibility of interference? How well can this transmitter and receiver setup handle recoil?

I ask, because it would be important to know, not because I'm trying to bash the idea. Eliminating cables that can get snagged, yanked out, cut, etc. would be great. However it only makes sense if the new system is just as reliable or better.

Also, I'm not an "ak guy" but that doesn't seem like the best place to put electronics(I'm referring to heat).

Magdalena
10-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks
I totally agree, nothing belongs on HD/patrol weapons until thoroughly tested and deemed reliable by the best of the best, through the worst of the worst conditions-I wouldnt expect anything less.
We've got a spec ops team out of SD testing 15 of them currently, along with several samples in law enforcement organizations in the EU. Will have all feedback within the next week or so. I've joined this forum for just that-looking for someone that wants to put them through impossible gauntlet of tests. Several teams have contacted me and are impressed with the reliability, functional ability and overall quality of every component of this set up. I'm always looking for someone with impossible standards, like myself.
On the AK 47 mounting bracket, the design was founded on improving the AK-not just adding accessories. I.e.,bracket installs between the barrel and gas tube, has identical thermal expansion to the barrel-improves heat sink but maintains orig barrel ergonomics. The same mentality stands behind the wireless tac lights. Lumen output, functionality range and most importantly-reliability. I won't stop testing this line, because there will always be a new standard to meet and exceed. I'll try to get in touch with MilitaryMoron, thanks for the advice. I'm new to this forum and want all the feedback I can on my equipment, all is appreciated. I'll post full test results as I receive them. An example of one spec ops test run: "really liked the systems and we tested fire the (M16 RF & Grip) system with over 250 rounds without any issues. The light activated every time with no problems." More official standard testing to be posted as I get the results in. Thanks!

Magdalena
10-04-2011, 1:02 PM
It sounds like a great idea, but wireless means that the transmitter needs a battery(or some sort of power). The flashlight now needs some kind of receiver, and uses a small amount of power to keep that receiver active. What about the possibility of interference? How well can this transmitter and receiver setup handle recoil?

I ask, because it would be important to know, not because I'm trying to bash the idea. Eliminating cables that can get snagged, yanked out, cut, etc. would be great. However it only makes sense if the new system is just as reliable or better.

Also, I'm not an "ak guy" but that doesn't seem like the best place to put electronics(I'm referring to heat).

Thanks for the questions-again, truly appreciate all challenging ideas and questions...
Recoil tests have been performed by 9, 3x64, 416 Rigby, and 470NE rifles with no operational failures. Extensive recoil testing is currently being performed on any and all equipment.
The wireless receiver located in the flashlight is set in the tail cap area (additionally I have a version where the receiver is located in our interchangeable flashlight head) either way, the receiver set within the flashlight body, uses the same power source (batteries-two 123A-that illuminate the lamp/output), to activate. Standard run time currently is 2 hours at max output of 347.5 lumens (for the 1 LED lamp, 4 LED flashlight heads run max 1,388 lumens/1 hour). Now, the grip receiver is powered by 1 er14505. Additionally, I have a touch pad slim style RC-similar in style to any touch pad on the market, but also wireless and with function range of momentary on/off, 8 level output range & on/strobe. I have more details on the frequency and waves of the signal being sent back and forth if anyone is interested in taking a look at those specs.

Magdalena

esskay
10-04-2011, 7:13 PM
Interesting. Definitely biggest concern to me would be reliability, and is it worth the trade off.

Couple questions:
* How do you choose between momentary and constant on/off with a single switch?
* Is there is a lock-out somewhere? (on the light?) This is critical to prevent light NDs. If the lock out also turned off the light's receiver that would save battery life on the light.
* What is the battery life of the ER14505 battery? Not sure an elegant way to save battery life on the switch's receiver.
* Is the double switch shown above on the AR grip intended for white light/IR setups? (i.e. the Surefire SR07 dual tape switch)

Operationally with the ergonomics and accessory setups available on an AR, I'm not sure there's a great benefit to a wireless switch. Perhaps I'm off on that... but there certainly could be other weapon systems that might benefit more. How about mounted weapons?

Magdalena
10-05-2011, 9:48 AM
Interesting. Definitely biggest concern to me would be reliability, and is it worth the trade off.

Couple questions:
* How do you choose between momentary and constant on/off with a single switch?
* Is there is a lock-out somewhere? (on the light?) This is critical to prevent light NDs. If the lock out also turned off the light's receiver that would save battery life on the light.
* What is the battery life of the ER14505 battery? Not sure an elegant way to save battery life on the switch's receiver.
* Is the double switch shown above on the AR grip intended for white light/IR setups? (i.e. the Surefire SR07 dual tape switch)

Operationally with the ergonomics and accessory setups available on an AR, I'm not sure there's a great benefit to a wireless switch. Perhaps I'm off on that... but there certainly could be other weapon systems that might benefit more. How about mounted weapons?

Thanks for the q's:
First, and foremost to answer your question of whether reliability is worth the trade off for a cool new techie device. My answer: Absolutely not worth the trade off. Reliability, especially whithin the realm of tactical operations or any firearm related applications-is the first and top priority. As far as I'm concerned, anything below 100% is unacceptable. I understand that operational failures are the nature of the beast of anything manufactured and there is no 100% guarantee for everything, all of the time. But if anyone is venturing into the realm of tactical weapon accessories/equipment: they better live, breath, eat, and sleep reliability or the pursuit of 100%-no exceptions. On that note, we have begun and continue to (please feel free to contact me if youre interested) test all our devices in any conditions and on any firearms we can. Feed back like this is the foundation for a company like mine. Please, continue to send all inquiries and if interested in a sample for your particular build-let me know as well.
A's to your Q's:
"How do you choose between momentary and constant on/off with a single switch?"
Tailcap function is as follows: Depress once; to turn flashlight on. Depress tailcap again; to turn flashlight off. Depress and hold tailcap down; to go through 8 different levels of brightness output. For strobe function using the tailcap switch alone; start with the flashlight on, and press and hold down tailcap to get strobe function.
Functions of the remote control buttons integrated into grip: Top button is; momentary on/off. Press for light-release to turn off. Bottom button is: press once for once (constant). Press 2nd time for strobe function, and press again to go back to constant on-depress top button to turn off.
Lock out: We do not have a lock out feature on this particular model, the tail cap button is sunken into the tailcap to prevent accidental activation if dropped-but I agree, and I've got my engineers working on several models with various lock out feature solutions-will post as soon as I receive them.
Battery life of the ER14505 battery integrated into the grip remote control receiver, is a lithium-thionyl battery of AA size and shape, and optimal for heavy current operation. Storage life is up to 10 years, self discharge is <1% per year. Designed specifically for durable operation, with 3.6V and rated capacity is 1800mAh. Functions in conditions up to -67*f (or-55*c). Grip RC battery currently has exceeded 5,000 commands-we are finalizing a guarantee around this statistic and testing.
We do not have a dual switch system to go between IR and White light, in place yet. However, our solution is: every flashlight head is interchangeable on each model fashlight. 1 LED Red, Green, UV and IR (white incl'd) 3 LED IR and White, and 4 LED IR and White flashlight heads. All interchageable.
As far as AR set ups go: This system was created for AK 47 and M16 to start off, and has evolved into AR rifles based on interest. We are constantly upgrading and improving the benefits of wireless tac accessories. And you are correct, different weapon systems (as well as defense systems that go beyond rifle mounted accessories) are benefitting from our wireless technology. A quick example is use of our wireless technology combined with high lumen output, to be integrated into non-lethal/submission equipment for SWAT and various riot or crowd control applications. We will be attending the Milipol exhibition in Paris in a couple weeks, with the full line of equipment.
Thanks again, and let me know if you'd like additional info.:)

Magdalena
10-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Quick side note on the image shown above
The AK 47 grip shown in my first post has one button integrated. We have since integrated the 2nd button, to have both on/off, and on/strobe/on functionality. I've included a photo of our most recent AK 47 grip integrated remote control. 2 buttons, in this case integrated into the grip of US Palm AK grip.117243