PDA

View Full Version : Eotech vs Aimpoint Micro H1

L4D
10-04-2011, 7:10 AM
I decided that I want to try out a new sight system and a red dot is what I want. My choices are between the Eotech xps2-2 or the Aimpoint Micro H1.

The are both in the same class but the differences are immense.

Could you guys throw out some pros and cons about the two? My head is spinning.

Nathan Krynn
10-04-2011, 7:16 AM
*****WARNING A LOT OF OPINION*****

I am a 100% aimpoint man. I have seen and heard of too many eotechs going down. This is from hard use and things like the battery connections fail. the average person who shots 100 rounds a year or even a month will never see this but people who truly have used theirs hard will. Never mind the auto shut off to save battery because their battery life is horrendous.

Governments use them because they are much cheaper then aimpoints.

evidens83
10-04-2011, 7:49 AM
Wow this question hasn't been hashed out to death hmmmm.....

utvtactical
10-04-2011, 7:54 AM
I have trouble finding the small dot, but can always see the big circle.

Found the Eotech to work great with 'old eyes'.

evidens83
10-04-2011, 7:57 AM
I went with an EOTech 512. 100% reliable, takes readily available AA batteries, and the FOV is excellent. I can only imagine the much more compact XPS2 is an improvement.

john.t.singh
10-04-2011, 8:25 AM
the aimpoint is way more rugged. If you ever watch the daniel defense stress test, they mounted an aimpoint on that gun and it survived pretty much all the test the DD did, and held zero till it got dropped out of a helicopter.

With that being said, the eotech has a larger window whereas the aimpoint is smaller, so that is a preference thing...

SoCalXD
10-04-2011, 8:37 AM
:beatdeadhorse5:
Primary Arms MicroDot for $89.
The fact that you are asking this question indicates you will not be going to war with this optic, so why waste so much money on being tacticool, when there are much cheaper and reasonably reliable options out there?

Double_tap
10-04-2011, 8:40 AM
I have both and quite honestly they both have pro's and cons.

the reticle on the Eotech is a good as it gets, but the housing they built around it is a piece of ****.

the aimpoint uses almost zero enegry and is very reliable, but the reticle isnt as great at the eotech.

mlevans66
10-04-2011, 8:42 AM
The fact that you are asking this question indicates you will not be going to war with this optic, so why waste so much money on being tacticool, when there are much cheaper and reasonably reliable options out there?

:iagree:

And shouldn't this be in the optics thread? :confused:
Also for the record I choose the Aimpoint. :thumbsup:

Double_tap
10-04-2011, 8:46 AM

some people just like having nice things. if you can afford it there is nothing wrong with it.

L4D
10-04-2011, 9:06 AM

No i am not going to war and neither are you with your $89 chin-made red-dot.

Ive had clones, ive had the lesser as well. I want something nice. Is that such a problem? You have fun with your $89 red dot and tell me how much that emitter bothers you being seen through the glass and how much bloom you get in brighter settings, I know I didn't like it on the primary arms micro dot and aimpoint clone. They both bloomed to a larger MOA than advertised at the higher settings.

L4D
10-04-2011, 9:12 AM
Does the Eotech's square housing "disappear" as well as the aimpoint Micro's housing when shooting with both eyes open?

Double_tap
10-04-2011, 9:15 AM
Does the Eotech's square housing "disappear" as well as the aimpoint Micro's housing when shooting with both eyes open?

In my opinion, having shot thousands of rounds through both, yes they both disappear equally well.

Roddd
10-05-2011, 7:09 AM
I like my eotech 512. It's on my duty rifle and I couldn't be happier with it. It doesn't give the same tacti-cool vibe as an Aimpoint but it functions well (for me, at least).

Caseless
10-05-2011, 10:10 AM
I assume the OP will mount the sight on an AR-15 type rifle.
IMHO,
-Appearance
Eotech looks better on a flat rail than a raised-base Aimpoint micro.

-Ergonomics
Twisting action to turn on Aimpoint feels more positive than the rubbery pushing motion to turn on an Eotech.

-SHTF application
Aimpoint Micro wins. Leave the Micro turned on and change battery every 5 years.

negolien
10-05-2011, 3:31 PM
The new Eotechs are better on the batteries as far as malfuntions to due to differant mounting position which is cool and they co-witness which I also like alot the XPS does 100% and the EXPS does 1/3rd. The new eotechs take the 123s which I got a dozen Surefire 123a lithiumsfor like 15 bucks.

The turning off sucks no way to do it single handidly easily to me it seems. That's a big -1 but /shrug long as it turns on easy I guess is the real issue eh? They are very easy to hit the target with in any situatuin 100 yards or less just fill the 65moa dot and your gtg. I sighted in at 50 yards I think and was 2 inches low at 50 with center mass aiming and chin to sternum with 10 rounds rapid fire all in a verticle line with 1moa center dot on center mass. I do like the target aquisition of the XPS over other reflex sights for sure.

jetspeedz
10-10-2011, 2:26 PM
eotech 1MOA enough said

uaheclipse24
10-11-2011, 6:07 PM
for me its a clarity thing. Eotech is perfectly clear, while aimpoints have a cheap chinese bluish haze. Thats why i dont like aimpoints or reflex sights.I dont understand why they cant make it perfectly clear, plus the eotech just performs better in my experiences.

0331Marine
10-11-2011, 6:23 PM
I've never had a problem with Eotech. Ive had one on all 3 of my deployments. I just bought a 552.A65 for my personal AR.

The Virus
10-14-2011, 3:59 PM
I went with an EOTech 512. 100% reliable, takes readily available AA batteries, and the FOV is excellent. I can only imagine the much more compact XPS2 is an improvement.

WOW! 100% reliable, really?

AIMPOINT

HK Dave
10-14-2011, 4:12 PM
for me its a clarity thing. Eotech is perfectly clear, while aimpoints have a cheap chinese bluish haze. Thats why i dont like aimpoints or reflex sights.I dont understand why they cant make it perfectly clear, plus the eotech just performs better in my experiences.

Methinks you have a chinese clone. The real aimpoint has no blue haze.

vintagearms
10-14-2011, 4:18 PM

Yes, the EOtech and the Aimpoint models (not sure of the H1) have the same field of view when shooting with both eyes open.

MrPlink
10-16-2011, 4:03 AM
Methinks you have a chinese clone. The real aimpoint has no blue haze.

yep
dont be fooled by what you see at gun shows (knock offs). Aimpoints are 100% clear

SoCalXD
02-23-2013, 2:17 PM
No i am not going to war and neither are you with your $89 chin-made red-dot.
Ive had clones, ive had the lesser as well. I want something nice. Is that such a problem? You have fun with your $89 red dot and tell me how much that emitter bothers you being seen through the glass and how much bloom you get in brighter settings, I know I didn't like it on the primary arms micro dot and aimpoint clone. They both bloomed to a larger MOA than advertised at the higher settings.

Dead Thread Response: L4D, you mis-interpreted my tone and tenner of my response; my bad. I am all for an Eotech or a Aimpoint Micro. I went to war with the first and prefer the second for weight savings & better outdoor brightness. I like to try and save people money, which is why I suggested a PA Microdot, as they have been serving me well for a few years and cost me $500 less than my H1 w/mount. Cheers!

ExtremeX
02-23-2013, 3:14 PM
I like them both a lot… but if it’s between the Micro and an Eotech I’ll take the micro. If it’s between the Aimpoint Pro or one of their larger models, I tend to fancy the Eotech more.

I sold my Aimpoint micro a while ago to fund an ACOG… but I kind of want to get another one since I really miss how compact and light it was.

socal-shooter
02-23-2013, 4:44 PM
1 Moa dot plus lightning fast target acquisition means eotech smokes aimpoint as far as use, But aimpoint has a superior battery life Which is the only thing that makes me want to get an aimpoint. The 2MOA reticle is far too big in my opinion

ExtremeX
02-23-2013, 5:18 PM
1 Moa dot plus lightning fast target acquisition means eotech smokes aimpoint as far as use, But aimpoint has a superior battery life Which is the only thing that makes me want to get an aimpoint. The 2MOA reticle is far too big in my opinion

I don’t get too hung up on the dot size… with its intended application I don’t find dot size to swing me one way or another.

Over longer distances I never really liked using an RDS anyways… I always tend to take out my ACOG or 1-4x or 1-6x type scopes if I just want versatility that day…

With that said… I do think the Eotech is faster as well, but if the micro is an option, it’s one of my all-time absolute favorites from size, weight, durability, and battery life being icing in the cake.

Excitable Boy
02-23-2013, 6:22 PM
Micro fan here. I have friends in LE and .mil that have all reported seeing more failures with EOTech than Aimpoint and that's what's important to me. If you train with it enough, I'm sure you can get acceptable accuracy and speed with either platform. I am not an Operator and haven't done that, but I do really like the form factor, reliability, light weight and ease of operation with the Aimpoint Micros. I presently have a 4MOA T1 on my Zombie Hunter M4gery and a 2MOA T1 on my Colt 6940 with an Aimpoint 3X mag on that gun. Both T1s are mounted in LaRue QD mounts. I've also got a Micro R1 which is basically a silver H1 mounted on an old stainless Mini 14 on an Ultimak rail. Adding those two parts transformed that rifle into something really fun to shoot.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Aimpoints.

G60
02-23-2013, 7:05 PM

lol have you ever used either of them?

vintagearms
02-23-2013, 7:14 PM

Its military designed. No IR signature at the front end due to the lens coating. The Eotechs have a hologram so their is no forward signature. The Eotechs are more prone to malfunction but EOtech has very good CS.

Franksclerk
02-23-2013, 7:21 PM
I have owned the Exps2-2, exps2-0, and the H-1. I got rid of the 2-2. Two dots, for me, is annoying. Either way you go, you are getting a great optic. Only big plus for me is the aimpoint's battery life. Weight is fairly negligible between the two if you're not using it for duty,

SoCalXD
02-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Wow, I really opened up this dead thread, didn't I! Ah well, still good info for those looking into spending big bucks for a Red Dot.

Owning both and using both, for me, The Aimpoint wins for my $:

1. Weight: The EoTech is almost twice the weight of the Aimpoint. Sure, gun collecters and guys who get to the range once a year won't really care, but that 4-6 extra ounces (depending upon Eotech model and Aimpoint mount), makes a big difference in a 4 hour tactical shooting session (or a 12 hour dismounted patrol!)

2. Brightness: The EoTech (at least my 552 with NV), is barely bright enough outdoors set to max. For me, it's hurts my speed on target. The EoTech is fine indoors for CQB/Home Defense (in fact, that is where the EoTech excels, due to that big circle!), but I need an all-a-rounder on my rigs, not just a good indoor CQB optic.

Recticle/Speed: As mentioned above, while I like the EoTech rectical for CQB in dimmer light, I find the value of it's large circle starts to diminish past 20 yards, and becomes slower on target past 50 yards than the single, larger dot of the Aimpoint. Durring full daylight, the dimmer EoTech is still slower for me than an Aimpoint past 20 yards.

Power On: I can get my Aimpoint powered-on to a good daylight level in less than a second with a quick and positive, single twist of the reostat. My EoTech 552 requires 10 mushy pushes of the right hand side button to get to max, in order to get to daylight usable, and half the time I miss one of the pushes, so it's not fully bright... ugh! In home defense, when something goes bump at night, it seems like it takes an hour getting my EoTech powered up; not so with the Aimpoint.

If any Eotech Fanboys have found themselves with one of those "yucky" Aimpoint Micros, I invite you to put your money where your mouth is: I have a well used and abused 552, with 5 confirmed kills, painted in the same desert sand it wore in Iraq in 2003. I'll happily trade you for your old and scratched up 4-MOA H or T-series Aimpoint Micro! Heck, I'll even add $100 on my end for a newer 2 MOA version! PM me with interest!

Oliver_Charles
02-24-2013, 10:21 AM

dieselpower
02-24-2013, 10:46 AM
oh these 1911 vs Glock, .45 vs 9mm threads are full of win...

mabilis_matulis
02-24-2013, 11:23 AM
get the one that fits you right.. different people will tell you one way or the other. both have their own pros and cons..

loosewreck
02-24-2013, 1:57 PM
Just like when shopping for a gun, it's probably best if you can go out and shoot them first.

Personally, I like the "piece of mind" that the ruggedness of the Aimpoints provide, but when I'm shooting I'm absolutely "in love" with the EoTech reticle. So much so that my AimPoint and Vortex Sparc just sit in a box at home and should probably be put up for sale soon.

If I were to buy another EoTech today I'd probably get the EXPS 2-2 (http://www.primaryarms.com/EOTech_EXPS2_2_Free_3X_Magnifier_w_Screw_Mount_p/exps2-2.htm) with the second 1moa aiming dot and integral 1/3 co-witness quick release mount. This model came out a few months after I bought my XPS :banghead:

saki302
02-26-2013, 1:42 PM
Being legally blind in one eye, I much prefer the EOTech. The Aimponts have the black tunnel like some scopes, and block more of MY field of view :D
I suppose if you could shoot with both eyes working this wouldn't be much of an issue.

One word of caution- if you are running AA battery EOTechs, DON'T leave alkaline batteries inside when not in use- if they leak (and they will eventually), they make a mess.
I switched to Nimh rechargeables for all of mine.

-Dave

ScottsBad
02-27-2013, 8:20 AM

Get the Aimpoint, the post above is Non-sense. I don't know what clone or fake Aimpoint he used, but there is NO blue haze in an Aimpoint.

The first RD I bought was an EOTech, I still have the EOTech. HOWEVER, of the three, high end RDs I've bought since two are AIMPOINT the other is a Trijicon SRS.

Buy the H-1 Aimpoint. I love the reticle the EOTech has, but mine was NOT RELIABLE until I sent it back to EOTech for an upgrade. I will not put an EOTech on a self-defense rifle.

The newer EOTech EXPS sights look like a better design, so you could give it a try, but I know you will be happier with the H-1 or the Aimpoint PRO. You will completely forget about the tube when using it, and you won't have to change batteries often like you do with the EOTechs.

BTW - Don't buy the older style EOTech if you are buying one. Part of the reliability problem was due to the batteries slamming back and forth in the sight.

All you have to do is look at pictures of guys at the serious advanced Carbine classes, they will have Aimpoints.

Cloe
03-02-2013, 8:16 AM
I have both and love either one I use, saw 0 dark thirty last week , the seal guys all used eotechs

md2bpo
03-03-2013, 5:44 PM
get the one that fits you right.. different people will tell you one way or the other. both have their own pros and cons..

Yup. Try em both if you can - resell the one that impressed you less here.

Btw - AIMPOINT.

HOGLEG
03-03-2013, 5:47 PM
I'm happy with the Eotech and their donut of death. The 1 moa dot works well for precision shooting.

L4D
03-03-2013, 6:11 PM
Thread from da Dead!

I ended up buying an Etoech exps. It is a little heavier and uses the battery less efficiently but I found the reticle a lot easier to find than the Aimpoint.

I can understand the winning factors of the Aimpoint but maybe my colorblindness was limiting me.

Anyone else colorblind had a hard time finding the Aimpoint dot in daylight?