PDA

View Full Version : Legal Question: LA City's One-Handgun-Per-30-Days Including PPTs

DeathByDoubleDip
10-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Legal Question: I was wondering if anyone has a map of how the cities are divided up for the sake of determining which parts of LA County fall under LA City ordinance.

The reason I ask is because I recently heard about how handguns acquired in Private Party Transfer in LA City count 'against' you in regards to the 1-handgun-per-30-days policy. I'm looking at different FFLs in Norwalk, Burbank, and Glendale, and I'm wondering if these places are far away enough from LA City to be exempt from this particular ordinance. Any help, calgunners?

cmaynes
10-04-2011, 6:13 AM
Burbank is not effected by LA City laws....

Guns Direct seems to be a pretty good place for PPT's....

johndoe2150
10-04-2011, 6:16 AM
I would assume any shop outside of of la city would be good to go, ymmv call the shop in question would be the best way to figure it out I think

HowardW56
10-04-2011, 6:22 AM
Most of the gun stores in the Los Angeles area are located outside the City of Los Angeles. (LA has run most of them out of business)

What part of LA are you in?

Tanner68
10-04-2011, 7:50 AM
Is there a single gun store left in LA City, besides Big 5?

ke6guj
10-04-2011, 8:29 AM

Turner's in Reseda

djleisure
10-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Martin B Retting. (Actually, that's in Culver City... hmm... is Culver City an actual city? Or is that considered more of a neighborhood in LA City? ... sheesh, this stuff will make your head spin... )

Kodemonkey
10-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Oaktree in Santa Clarita is not in the City of LA and doesn't have the PPT 1 in 30 restriction. On the other side of the valley, there is Greta's guns in Simi.

Tempus
10-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Martin B Retting. (Actually, that's in Culver City... hmm... is Culver City an actual city? Or is that considered more of a neighborhood in LA City? ... sheesh, this stuff will make your head spin... )

Nope, MBR is in culver and doesn't have do deal with the LA regs. I talked to them about that issue a while back when I was PPTing there.

ALSystems
10-04-2011, 1:37 PM
Does that mean that the entire City of Los Angeles only has 2 remaining gun stores:

(1) Turner's, Reseda
(2) Big-5, Unknown Locations

Many Big-5s in Los Angeles don't sell real guns. This includes Reseda, Encino, etc. Where do they still sell guns?

djleisure
10-04-2011, 3:25 PM
Nope, MBR is in culver and doesn't have do deal with the LA regs. I talked to them about that issue a while back when I was PPTing there.
Ah, thanks man, good to know!

Tripper
10-04-2011, 3:55 PM
wow, talk about equal protection under the law
does state law not pre-empt something like that

nick
10-04-2011, 5:11 PM
Does that mean that the entire City of Los Angeles only has 2 remaining gun stores:

(1) Turner's, Reseda
(2) Big-5, Unknown Locations

Many Big-5s in Los Angeles don't sell real guns. This includes Reseda, Encino, etc. Where do they still sell guns?

I believe there're still some gun stores in SFV which are still in the City of L.A. As for Big 5s, there're a few that sell guns in L.A. For example, there's one on Wilshire and San Vicente. I think, there're others. Mind you, I haven't been to a Big 5 in L.A. ever since I tried to buy some ammo at that Big 5 on Wilshire, and the guy at the counter opened a log book in order to log my ammunition purchase... I hate L.A.

ALSystems
10-04-2011, 10:16 PM
I believe there're still some gun stores in SFV which are still in the City of L.A. As for Big 5s, there're a few that sell guns in L.A. For example, there's one on Wilshire and San Vicente. I think, there're others. Mind you, I haven't been to a Big 5 in L.A. ever since I tried to buy some ammo at that Big 5 on Wilshire, and the guy at the counter opened a log book in order to log my ammunition purchase... I hate L.A.
Really. I can't think of any that are still left in the City of Los Angeles besides Turner's and Big-5.

Please provide a few names of gun stores in the SFV

RRangel
10-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Really. I can't think of any that are still left in the City of Los Angeles besides Turner's and Big-5.

Please provide a few names of gun stores in the SFV

They might mean in San Fernando. Addax? Independent Armament Company too but I haven't been there in a long time.

SanPedroShooter
10-05-2011, 5:36 AM
I think the LA Pistol club has an FFL. I also think there's a "pro shop" at the police academy that sells guns to sworn/non sworn citizens. Besides Big 5 and Turners and a few odd balls, there are only maybe half dozen FFL's, give or take, for a city of 3 million...

HowardW56
10-05-2011, 6:38 AM
I think the LA Pistol club has an FFL. I also think there's a "pro shop" at the police academy that sells guns to sworn/non sworn citizens. Besides Big 5 and Turners and a few odd balls, there are only maybe half dozen FFL's, give or take, for a city of 3 million...

The Revolver & Athletic Club at the Police Acadmy has not sold firearms to the general public in years...

Addax
10-05-2011, 7:35 AM
We are located in the independent city of San Fernando (located close to the 5fwy and 118fwy), and we do not fall under City of LA's ridiculous city ordinances.

For example:

We sell sub-compact pistols (can't get those from any gun store located within LA city limits).

One reason why we ended up moving here a couple of years ago.

AT

Air
10-05-2011, 8:29 AM

Big 5 at Reseda Blvd and Nordhoff sells guns, it's in Reseda. The other one on Balboa at San Fernando Mission sells guns also. I do know for a fact that Big 5 Encino doesn't though.

Other than Turners and Big 5, that's it. Besides a few Kitchen Table FFL's that might still be around...

DeathByDoubleDip
10-06-2011, 8:42 PM
My fault for the delayed response. Turns out the answer is Burbank doesn't fall under the stupid LA PPT laws. Just ended up DROSing two different guns within 2 days at Aegis Trading.

Mesa Tactical
10-07-2011, 6:40 AM
Legal Question: I was wondering if anyone has a map of how the cities are divided up for the sake of determining which parts of LA County fall under LA City ordinance.

Buy a Thomas Guide for LA County. The white parts of the map are LA city, the yellow parts county and the rest are individual cities.

Oh, and the blue is the Pacific Ocean.