PDA

View Full Version : Tracking down a S&W .38 revolver Serial # D-163993

leitung
10-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Okay, I am moving soon and I had spent my day off today cleaning out the garage. I found and old briefcase and poped it open and found a bunch of paperwork regarding the death of my step grandfather who died in a expermential plane crash in Madera, CA around 1973. Digging around in the paperwork I found an envelope which contained his old CCW issued in 1971. (They have hardly changed in 40 years :facepalm:)
Anyway the gun listed is a S&W Revolver .38 Serial # D-163993

First off, if anyone has this paticular revolver, PLEASE contact me!
Secondly, It does not mention the model of the revolver, using the serial is there a way to figure out what model it would be?

I know it's an absolute long shot to find the gun. I am pretty sure that it's been melted after a stint in a police locker, but one can dream that I could possibly find it one day.

Thanks for any help you can bring me.

Mr. Beretta
10-04-2011, 10:41 AM
That would be a miracle if you were ever able to find / recover your deceased grand step father]s revolver.

The serial number appears to belong to either a S&W model 10, 12, 13, 14 or 45 (rare USPS model in 22cal) in the 1969-1970 range. These K frame revolvers were very popular (and still are) in the late 60's earlier 70's. Could had been a 2", 4", 5", 6" barrel. My best guess would be it was a 4" barrel, blue finished model 10.

The only way to find out more info would be to request (and pay $50) for a factory S&W letter. The letter would provide basis details such as barrel length, finish, type of stocks (grips) and where it was originally shipped to (and the date) from the factory.

Good Luck!

JTROKS
10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
I bet you BillCA can provide some info on the serial number.

Good luck in finding that revolver. That's like looking for a needle in a hay field, but you'll never know and it may just be a safe queen in a CALGUNS' member safe.

redcliff
10-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Are there any surviving family members left to inquire as to what may have happened to the handgun? Someone got it after his unfortunate accident, and I would think it would be a family member.

Mickey D
10-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Perhaps he was carrying the revolver when he perished. Ask other family members if they have a recollection of the event.

leitung
10-04-2011, 2:50 PM
He likely was carrying it on him that day, my grandmother and my mother have both passed away, the only person left to ask about it is my aunt.
It's highly likely my grandmother knows where it went. But knowing her during the investigation of the accident the investigators took it off of him and locked it up where it was later destroyed.