PDA

View Full Version : Lowest Transfer Fee FFL in Los Angeles

iatrogenic
10-03-2011, 9:26 PM
I'm looking for info on an FFL with a reasonable transfer fee in the LA area. It sucks that Straight Line Tactical raised their fee from $25 to idk what it is now... (last I heard it was $55).

Any help would be appreciated.

Solidux
10-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Straightline Tactical's transfer fee is only $35.

Anchors
10-04-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm looking for info on an FFL with a reasonable transfer fee in the LA area. It sucks that Straight Line Tactical raised their fee from $25 to idk what it is now... (last I heard it was $55).

Any help would be appreciated.

Straightline Tactical's transfer fee is only $35.

All gun stores only charge $35 for private party transfer (PPT) which occurs face to face between two people. That price is state law. $25 for DROS and the dealer may only charge $10 for their fee.
For transfers from guns shipped into dealers (like online/out of state orders), they can charge whatever they want on top of the state $25 DROS fee.

Straightline used to charge $25 + $25 DROS (total $50) for dealer transfers, but they now appear to charge $45 + DROS ($70) (if their website is current).

neomedic
10-04-2011, 5:57 AM
^ It is...$70 Total

JoeinLA
10-04-2011, 8:16 AM
EBR in Simi Valley charges 45 (plus DROS 25).

djleisure
10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Yeah, $70 is pretty standard for non-PPT transfer fees - Fort Courage in Simi has that rate as well.

JaeOne3345
10-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Firepower Depot - Riverside, CA

Owned by Tom Reese.

25 dollars DROS + 10 transfer = 35 total. Yes, this means you can order something out of state. He only charges you 10 bucks on top of the DROS.

Tell him Jared sent you.

Everyone else is charging way too much, IMO. But then again I am spoiled by being near Tom.

Press Check
10-04-2011, 1:01 PM
EBR in Simi Valley charges 45 (plus DROS 25).

Dealing with Michael at EBR is always an extremely pleasant experience.

oliveview
10-04-2011, 1:04 PM
Firepower Depot - Riverside, CA

Owned by Tom Reese.

25 dollars DROS + 10 transfer = 35 total. Yes, this means you can order something out of state. He only charges you 10 bucks on top of the DROS.

Tell him Jared sent you.

Everyone else is charging way too much, IMO. But then again I am spoiled by being near Tom.

I'd say that he is charging too little, if most all other shops are closer to $70-total. It's just business. How can the guy pay his rent if he's making $10 on what still takes at least a half-hour to an hour for both ends of the DROS process. Poor guy.

JaeOne3345
10-04-2011, 1:07 PM
I'd say that he is charging too little, if most all other shops are closer to $70-total. It's just business. How can the guy pay his rent if he's making $10 on what still takes at least a half-hour to an hour for both ends of the DROS process. Poor guy.

Poor guy? Not quite. He makes plenty of income for his smithing services, coatings, etc. He also sells firearms, runs a range, etc. His thing is, he'd rather gain a customer that will come back for other services. DROS half hour? Hasn't been my experience with him. More like 10-15 tops.

I paid 125 for a single shot exemption including DROS and transfer fees for an out of state STI. I find that reasonable since I do not own the special barrel or sled magazines needed for such a conversion. I cringe at people charging close to that for NORMAL transfers.

dshooter
10-04-2011, 1:32 PM
Yeah, Tom is cool. But the problem for LA people is the distance. The gas of 2 trips negates savings and the time to drive there. Only IE people can take advantage of his services.