PDA

View Full Version : shooting AR in the rain?

NYY
10-03-2011, 6:28 PM
so how bad of an idea is this?

or is it....

curious..

thanks!

a1c
10-03-2011, 6:32 PM
The AR platform was designed for military applications. That says it all. Combat or patrols don't stop with the rain.

Shoot away, just wipe your rifle dry and oil it once you get home.

BKinzey
10-03-2011, 6:33 PM
Clean it afterwards. They've been used in the rain before.:chris:

ankyle62
10-03-2011, 6:36 PM
i am NOT a marine. just plan on being one... pm for advice on ways i should join..
that explains the name and question, I came in here like wtf are you serious?

Shoot the hell out of it in any condition.

eville
10-03-2011, 6:36 PM
all military actions cease once there is an 80% chance of rain.
keep it in the safe until summer...

:laugh:

NYY
10-03-2011, 6:43 PM
that explains the name and question, I came in here like wtf are you serious?

Shoot the hell out of it in any condition.

hahah honestly you just made me laugh out quite loud..

but ya. ok cool good to know

ohh jeez here come the jokes. haha

rero360
10-03-2011, 6:47 PM
PM you with ways to join the Corps? simple, go talk to a recruiter. bam, done.

As to shooting in the rain, big whoop, I've shot in the rain, mud, snow, sleet, you name it short of hurricanes and tornadoes and I've shot in that kind of weather. just dry off and lube the steel parts and you'll be fine. the alum and plastic parts ain't going to rust so just worry about the steel. Even then, unless you have a craptastic gun with less than standard application of chrome and park, its not going to rust on you in a short period of time unless perhaps you find yourself surfing with the rifle (I have no experience with maritime type activities)

Synergy
10-03-2011, 6:53 PM
I wish my AR was a Mogwai, then it would magically reproduce when I got it wet! :D

McLarenRoss
10-03-2011, 6:56 PM
If it aint raining we aint training.... We use the damn things in all kinda weather. Youd cry if you saw the amount of mud we have caked onto and into these things. Bring them back and service them and they are good as new(almost).

xibunkrlilkidsx
10-03-2011, 6:59 PM
lol..have you ever been in a fire fight and it starts to rain and both sides call a time out and say.."should we continue when rains stops?"

its a bloody military weapon...i dont think a little rain is going to stop it....

Colt-45
10-03-2011, 7:03 PM
lol Reminds me of the thread about the guy that dropped his AR off the couch and was wondering if it was still good.

Look at what my LWRC can do:
JMZX5WO1uSk

It IS a piston AR though.......

Sniper3142
10-03-2011, 7:10 PM
The only real issue you might encounter when shooting an AR in the rain is SPLASH BACK.

The water collecting on your rifle will splash back onto your shooting glasses due to the recoil. That means you'll need to wipe them off every few shots to maintain a clear sight picture.

KWB977
10-03-2011, 7:14 PM

wrong........ 40% chance, with budget cutbacks they had to adjust...

Iskra
10-03-2011, 7:27 PM
One day it started raining, and it didn't quit for four months. We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin' rain... and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath. Shoot, it even rained at night...

Forest Gump

760practicalshooter
10-03-2011, 7:37 PM
lol Reminds me of the thread about the guy that dropped his AR off the couch and was wondering if it was still good.

Look at what my LWRC can do:
JMZX5WO1uSk

It IS a piston AR though.......

That water looks cold!

He is a true Water-->:shuriken:

NYY
10-03-2011, 8:00 PM
so i guess the idea i was thinking of the "bad idea" was to shoot the rifle after it had been completely submersed in water

Colt-45
10-03-2011, 8:13 PM
Shooting a DI AR right after it had been submersed in water is bad.

Shooting a DI AR in the rain is not. Just clean it real good afterwards to prevent rust.

PyroFox79
10-03-2011, 8:30 PM
I qualed in boot camp in pissing rain on camp Pendleton it's not fun to shoot in the rain but ya it isnt gonna hurt anything.

NYY
10-03-2011, 9:50 PM
ok very cool. thanks guys

joelogic
10-03-2011, 10:11 PM
steam and carbon don't mix well. Shooting in the rain requires extra lube. Lesson learned the hard way.

b.faust
10-03-2011, 10:15 PM
The best part about shooting ANY rifle in the rain, is watching the trail as the hot round hits water.

(Seen generally only in heavy rain and if you're spotting...)

RustyMacHine
10-03-2011, 10:22 PM
I wish my AR was a Mogwai, then it would magically reproduce when I got it wet! :D

That would be a bad idea to feed it ammo after 7:00 because it'll turn it into something evil looking... or is it :shifty:

NYY
10-03-2011, 10:28 PM
steam and carbon don't mix well. Shooting in the rain requires extra lube. Lesson learned the hard way.

ya... thats what i was thinking about..

Merc1138
10-03-2011, 11:21 PM

Except if you feed it after midnight it becomes an ak that can't hit the broad side of a barn.

pratchett
10-04-2011, 5:33 AM
PM you with ways to join the Corps? simple, go talk to a recruiter. bam, done.

As to shooting in the rain, big whoop, I've shot in the rain, mud, snow, sleet, you name it short of hurricanes and tornadoes and I've shot in that kind of weather. just dry off and lube the steel parts and you'll be fine. the alum and plastic parts ain't going to rust so just worry about the steel. Even then, unless you have a craptastic gun with less than standard application of chrome and park, its not going to rust on you in a short period of time unless perhaps you find yourself surfing with the rifle (I have no experience with maritime type activities)

You don't need a weapon while you're surfing. Wanna know why?

'Cause hadji don't surf, that's why.

negolien
10-04-2011, 10:46 AM
The AR platform was designed for military applications. That says it all. Combat or patrols don't stop with the rain.

Shoot away, just wipe your rifle dry and oil it once you get home.

LOL NS HUH I never seen anyone calling for a time out during Tet because of rain lol.

Flintlock Tom
10-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Not a problem. Except do not fire it straight up!

__

stix213
10-04-2011, 1:33 PM
Its my understanding that getting your AR wet while firing will cause it to melt....

oh wait, no if you get your AR wet while firing it will explode...

oh wait wait, I was wrong again, if you get your AR wet while firing, then bullets shoot out the front. Yeah that's it, lots and lots of bullets. So only fire your AR in the rain if you're looking for bullets to shoot out the front.

:p

Buddhabelly
10-04-2011, 1:47 PM
LOL NS HUH I never seen anyone calling for a time out during Tet because of rain lol.

You know, it doesn't rain much around Tet time. That's the "dry" season. ;)

NYY
10-04-2011, 6:30 PM
ohhhhhhhhhh k i think i got the point that i should NOT shoot in the rain......... ;)