PDA

View Full Version : Gen4 G17 Legality Question...

jakekanen
10-03-2011, 5:18 PM
Hopefully I can get this cleared up. I've been interested in purchasing a new Gen4 G17. Finally found a dealer that advertises them at a price point I deem reasonable, after much searching. So, before I commit to buying the G17, I contact the vendor to check if they have any on-hand at their shop. Here's where I became confused, the employee informed me that they are not "compliant to California" so the only way I could purchase one directly was if I was LEO. Problem is, I'm not affiliated with LE.

I was under the impression that this issue had been resolved and that the Gen4 G17 was on the Roster. Am I being fed a helping of FUD? Or was I misunderstood the whole time? :shrug: Any information would be great.

P.S- I did a search here and didn't definitively find my answer, I apologize if this has been answered a dozen times.

morrcarr67
10-03-2011, 5:28 PM
They are not on the roster. You will need to get it via PPT or SSE. The SSE route is probably the easiest. Read the SSE thread in this section.

jakekanen
10-03-2011, 5:30 PM
They are not on the roster. You will need to get it via PPT or SSE. The SSE route is probably the easiest. Read the SSE thread in this section.

Great, thank you much!

Tripper
10-03-2011, 5:42 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=457533

it speaks directly to your issue

stix213
10-03-2011, 5:43 PM
Gen4 are unlikely to ever get on the roster

Glock_fanboy
10-03-2011, 5:50 PM

^^^^ this...

Or this... (info on who does SSE's)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=383692

RoundEye
10-03-2011, 5:53 PM
Pretty much what everyone else said. The Gen4 Glock lack a magazine safety disconnect which is why they're no on the roster. The disconnect was not a requirement when the Gen3 was added which is why it can be renewed and they can continue to sell Gen3s. The Gen4s are "too" mechanically different to be considered an upgraded Gen3 and fall under the original application.

jakekanen
10-03-2011, 6:16 PM
So if I purchase a conversion kit with a mag lock, I should be good to go? Sorry, I'm still having difficulty grasping the SSE.

trendar5
10-03-2011, 6:23 PM
You don't need to do anything to the gun to alter it, except use 10-round mags in it, or pre-ban ones you already had in your possession. When you pick up the gun, the dealer will take back all the single-shot parts, and install them on the next customer's gun. Your gun will go home as a " normal " G17.

Lumpia is sarap!
10-03-2011, 6:23 PM
Yup, make sure your local gun shop is very knowledgeable of SSE guns. Good luck, you won't be sorry.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/DSCN1667.jpg

jakekanen
10-03-2011, 6:41 PM
You don't need to do anything to the gun to alter it, except use 10-round mags in it, or pre-ban ones you already had in your possession. When you pick up the gun, the dealer will take back all the single-shot parts, and install them on the next customer's gun. Your gun will go home as a " normal " G17.

So the dealer needs to instal these Single Shot parts while it's in jail?

Dhena81
10-03-2011, 7:52 PM
The roster pounds sand.

RoundEye
10-03-2011, 8:14 PM
So the dealer needs to instal these Single Shot parts while it's in jail?

Basically, they install the parts before the submit the DROS. Then they're DROSing a single shot pistol. When you pick up the pistol, you swap the parts and give the single shot components back.

Cyc Wid It
10-03-2011, 9:06 PM
Jakekanen, did you even read the sticky?

jakekanen
10-03-2011, 9:11 PM
Jakekanen, did you even read the sticky?

I read it through my phone, and I didn't really get a chance to peruse the pages. I read your first post, but it was still a bit confusing to me. I also didn't realize that my answer could be found in that Thread, until it was pointed out.

jakekanen
10-03-2011, 9:12 PM
Basically, they install the parts before the submit the DROS. Then they're DROSing a single shot pistol. When you pick up the pistol, you swap the parts and give the single shot components back.

Ok, I understand now. I'm assuming since a dealer does this, that it affects the price some way too?

tacticalcity
10-03-2011, 10:41 PM

Should probably be a sticky with the words Glock Gen 4 in the title because the question gets asked so often.

Cyc Wid It
10-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Glad you got it figured, wanted to know if there was something lacking in the explanation. Go forth and buy.

RoundEye
10-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Ok, I understand now. I'm assuming since a dealer does this, that it affects the price some way too?

Yep. Expect to pay at least full retail for the pistol. Most single shot stores will let you basically provide a deposit on the single shot parts and will refund it when you return it to them less some fee for use.

morrcarr67
10-04-2011, 6:37 AM
Yep. Expect to pay at least full retail for the pistol. Most single shot stores will let you basically provide a deposit on the single shot parts and will refund it when you return it to them less some fee for use.

This is true if you you are using an out of state FFL such as Table Rock Arms.

If your LGS is doing the conversion for you they will probably not charge a "deposit" on the single shot parts. But, they will charge you a fee for doing it. Some are doing it for as little as $50. Others will just charge you MSRP, which could be a couple of hundred dollars more than the street price in Free America.

jakekanen
10-04-2011, 6:43 AM
Thanks again for the great info everyone, it's much appreciated!