PDA

View Full Version : Simmons WhiteTail Classic 6.5-20X50 MM AO Scope

Izzy43
10-03-2011, 12:25 PM
I am posting here for those folks who may be considering a high power scope for their rimfire rifles. I recently purchased one of these scopes and went out today to see how it would function and to zero it.

First the scope is larger than most other rimfire scopes that many may have due to the 50 MM Adjustable Objective. I had to use High Rings (BKL-257H) to clear the barrel on my Kimber 82G. It is a large scope and heavier than most so not one to be carrying around in the woods but good for bench type target shooting and for stationary varmit hunting.

Second the scope is very, very clear throughout the magnification range. I saw no change in clarity of focus when changing the magnification. I compared it to my Weaver 40/44 6.5-20X 44MM AO scope and it may be just a bit brighter (objective) and a litter clearer.

I got the Duplex reticle as I read that the Mil-Dot reticle was a little thicker. The crosshairs are a little thicker than on my Weaver but still usable for target work.

At the range it zeroed quickly and I did the box test and the crosshairs returned right back to the zero position. The elevation/windage knobs are finger adjustable although not target type turrets. They are commonly called bowtie adjusters but work well, have positive audible clicks with no slop.

I paid $185 to my door for the Weaver and the Simmons was $120 to my door from Midwayusa.com. The quality of the scope is excellent and the real plus is it is made in the Phillipines, not in China. My Weaver was also made in the Philipines which is known for making many of the higher quality scopes such as Nikons, Burris, and some Leupolds I think.

So anyone looking for a scope with these specifications should consider this Simmons Whitetail Classic. A great scope in my opinion for a bargain price. Be sure to look at reviews before deciding.

checkenbach
10-03-2011, 9:00 PM
I agree!! I had one on my FX air rifle, and thought it was a great value for the money. The only issue is that with the objective being so large, cheek weld and ring selection could be an issue. Buy one while they're still cheap.

jmancini
10-05-2011, 4:55 PM
I agree as well, I love the one I have on my Savage 17HMR.