PDA

View Full Version : Great Horned Owl

echo1
10-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Not sure where this should go, but I thought I'd share this with you guys & gals. A couple weeks ago, this Owl flew into my S-10 grill on my way home one night. It was the only place that could absorb the impact because of the plastic construction. It didn't kill him but he did break a wing bone. He was stunned, so I was able to throw my Levi jacket over him and get him in the back of my truck's shell. Took him to Stanislaus Wildlife Rescue where they were able to nurse him back to airworthy condition. It did scare the H*** out of me and I almost tagged an almond tree. I thought "Mothman" or some such creature was comming to take my soul!! I'm very happy I didn't kill him, and I was able to super glue repair my grill. PAX
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac159/adpax/DSCN0216.jpg

Mikeb
10-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Good job rescuing the owl... they are very cool critters.
I met one once. He had a bridge. It was clearly his bridge but he didn't seem to mind people I saw him there a number of times. I met the folk that were living on the land and got invited to dinner. I hung out for a while then went off to find a spot in the woods to sleep. It was very dark but I swear that owl buzzed me. It was dark so I didn't see anything and they are quiet so I didn't hear anything but I had the very real feeling that the bird had flown past my shoulder. I saw him the next day and I think I heard him chuckle...just a bit
Mike

awall919
10-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Good man. Most would have left it to die on the side of the road.

KevinB
10-03-2011, 1:12 PM
It is a felony for you to even pick the bird up. The rescue center will and should not let you release the bird.

Federally protected bird.

----------kevin---------

scarville
10-03-2011, 1:48 PM
Good job. Picking up an injured raptor can be an interesting experience -- The talons and beak are every bit as sharp as sharp as they look. I think KevinB is right about the Federal law so I'm glad some martinet didn't try to fubar your life over it.

GMG
10-03-2011, 3:05 PM
Congrats on the owl rescue. They are so cool looking!

wjc
10-03-2011, 3:22 PM
Boy, that's a beautiful bird! Good job saving it!

bsg
10-03-2011, 3:25 PM
i'm glad the owl survived... thanks to you.

Stormfeather
10-03-2011, 11:26 PM
It is a felony for you to even pick the bird up. The rescue center will and should not let you release the bird.

Federally protected bird.

----------kevin---------

Reading comprehension is a perishable skill. . . .should practice it more.

Good job on the rescue OP.

echo1
10-04-2011, 11:41 AM
The rescue center brought me up to speed on the regs. It all hinges on intent. Like the Good Sumaritain rule. What they did tell me was a bit of a surprise. If the break couldn't be mended so that he could fly, then they'd kill it! I asked wouldn't they try to place it in a zoo or refuge. They said they've got a list of who has room or wants what, not on the list. I said what the ****!! I asked if they had to put it down, could I have one feather to remember him by? No it's against the law. Dude. I'm really glad he wasn't too badly injured. Although I must admit, if he had been killed, I'm not one to let things go to waste. Scarville, many moons ago, I caught a Kestral. It got into our hanger during a severe storm one night, and when I got there in the morning it was wore out trying to fly out a windox. I brought him home to nurse back, but the propane pilot for our gas heater killed him off. My bad. PAX

xrMike
10-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Good on you for picking him up instead of leaving him to die.

These guys fly over my house regularly at night, on their way to who-knows-where... their hunting grounds?

Their shriek is very dinosaur-like and kinda spooky in the dark, if you don't know what it is.

Shellshocker66
10-04-2011, 2:44 PM
What a nice story to read! I'm glad you were able to get the owl to a wildlife refuge for rehab!

I had an owl scare the beejesus out of me earlier in the year. Was walking out to my shed just when twilight hit. So was fairly dim outside and suddenly I hear a noise above my head. I look up just in time to see something HUGE swooping down from a tree in my backyard. I thought a demon from hell was coming to get me! The thing had a hell of a wingspan and was mostly white with huge eyes. I'm still not sure what it was as it seemed a lot larger then most of the owls in the area. Seemed to have a wingspan around 5 feet or larger.

So it took off and left me kneeling on the ground cowering in fear, but it was an awesome sight to see :)

Librarian
10-04-2011, 4:04 PM
What a nice story to read! I'm glad you were able to get the owl to a wildlife refuge for rehab!

I had an owl scare the beejesus out of me earlier in the year. Was walking out to my shed just when twilight hit. So was fairly dim outside and suddenly I hear a noise above my head. I look up just in time to see something HUGE swooping down from a tree in my backyard. I thought a demon from hell was coming to get me! The thing had a hell of a wingspan and was mostly white with huge eyes. I'm still not sure what it was as it seemed a lot larger then most of the owls in the area. Seemed to have a wingspan around 5 feet or larger.

So it took off and left me kneeling on the ground cowering in fear, but it was an awesome sight to see :)

Sounds like a barn owl (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barn_Owl/id) - they're the only common ones that are light colored (we don't get Snowy Owls around much). Wingspan 40-50 inches, so yes, they will look big!

http://sp.life123.com/bm.pix/barn-owl.s600x600.jpg

Shellshocker66
10-04-2011, 4:35 PM
Sounds like a barn owl (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barn_Owl/id) - they're the only common ones that are light colored (we don't get Snowy Owls around much). Wingspan 40-50 inches, so yes, they will look big!

http://sp.life123.com/bm.pix/barn-owl.s600x600.jpg

Everyone keeps telling me barn owl and I've seen plenty of those and this looked nothing like a barn owl. I honestly thought a man was jumping out of the tree with his arms stretched out when it first swooped down. The tree limb the owl was on was only 20 feet above my head and it came down first before lifting off to fly away.

I know lately we've been getting some birds that are not common to the area and wondering if this guy/gal was one of them. Might have been a Great Gray Owl with some odd color as it was very light and my first impression it was all white. But then again like I said it scared me so bad at first that I almost had an accident in my underwear.

Or maybe it was the Moth Man? LOL

Chaparral
10-04-2011, 4:54 PM
Awesome job on the rescue! Those are big #$%@$# birds!

Picked one up with the thermal on the utility line above my neighbors yard two nights ago...thought it was a large raccoon at first and having never seen coons walk across the wires like that I switched to NV and sure enough, it was a big azz bird with cat ears sticking up out of its head.

It was watching my 20 lb dogs and they had no clue it was there. Possums, rats, coons they can detect but not this boy! It's Mother Nature's version of stealth technology.

Ripon83
10-04-2011, 5:11 PM
Nice job echo1....good thing you grabbed a picture too. That made it even better.

In Alaska at one of the tourist spots
http://www.goldbelttours.com/mount-roberts-tramway/natural-wonders

They had a bald eagle they were caring for that would never fly again. The bird travels around being shown to kids during the non tourist seas and is fed pretty well all kind of things here during the summer. Damn ugly thing up close and personal - you can get within a couple of feet of him. I think my wife snapped a photo - I'll look.

daveinwoodland
10-04-2011, 5:36 PM
Reminds me of an ad that used to be in the back of comic books when I was growing up. You could order a Great Horned Owl for 25.00. In 1967 though that was a chunk of change for a kid. Great job on the save.

Librarian
10-04-2011, 5:43 PM
Not impossible you saw something unusual, but birders are weird folks, in some ways, and rarities draw crowds. So, for example, http://tertial.us/yolobirds/yolo.html has a list of commons and rarities; no big owls on the rarities list.

Sibley doesn't show any North American owls (a) as big as or bigger than a barn owl and (b) as light colored as a barn owl other than the Snowy - and a Snowy Owl in California is as rare as a Republican (a real Republican) governor.Sporadically they can be found as far south as central California as well as in Texas and Florida.http://www.defenders.org/wildlife_and_habitat/wildlife/snowy_owl.php. There was one sighted in Suisun (http://www.kcra.com/news/10731854/detail.html) in 2007.

77bawls
10-04-2011, 8:34 PM
They had a bald eagle they were caring for that would never fly again. The bird travels around being shown to kids during the non tourist seas and is fed pretty well all kind of things here during the summer. Damn ugly thing up close and personal - you can get within a couple of feet of him. I think my wife snapped a photo - I'll look.

IIRC San Francisco zoo has a horned owl. It was outside just chillin on a perch. Mikey Grove zoo has a pair of Bald Eagles.

Edit: I just looked up the one they have in San Francisco is 48 years old. The life expectancy in the wild is only 15 years.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/files/resize/remote/8649a9483d90429f143065f73148051d-512x340.jpg

King Richard

Species: Great horned owl

Medical problems: Cataracts

Life expectancy in the wild: 15 years

Scout2Diesel
10-04-2011, 9:16 PM
Nice work! I like happy endings.

battleship
10-04-2011, 9:43 PM
Only last week this poor old guy/girl was found at the foot of my garage door. It seemed blind in one eye and exhausted. Sadly shortly after the pics were taken it flew down the road about a hundred yards, landed and was hit by a neighbor down the street who slowed down after hitting it then drove off. I ran over to the bird and saw it was still alive, i grabbed a blanket picked it up and took it down to the local wild life shelter in Pleasant hill. It was still alive when i got there but later died. It looked old but then again all owls seem to look old, glad your story had a better ending.
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo338/battleship67/DSCN1737.jpg
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo338/battleship67/DSCN1735.jpg

Scout2Diesel
10-05-2011, 12:00 AM
^ Aw...

TenSeven
10-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Great story, Owls are really cool critters.

I used to see them from time to time outside my house at night, but... sigh... it's been a long time...

mkkeele
10-05-2011, 4:10 PM
Nice job OP! I used to have an owl that lived in the red wood tree in my backyard. I remember always hearing it outside before going to bed. Very cool creatures.

bubbapug1
10-05-2011, 4:27 PM
Are Great horned owls really protected? I have them from time to time in my backyard, along with other owls. They eat the rats in my yard and basically scream and carry one all night.

I do have a neighbor who shoots at them however, and I have found blood in my backyard on occasion from them taking a hit. I can hear the BB's hissing across the backyard too, plus the the sound of the gun going off. He complains they keep him up at night....they are loud, but not THAT loud.

Californio
10-05-2011, 4:57 PM
Years ago before Vista, CA became the Burbs, Green Oaks Ranch in Vista had Outdoor Youth Camps. No population at that time and the dark night hikes found many Owls, Bobcats and others doing their nocturnal thing. The kids found owl balls on the trails and usually an owl taking off from a large oak tree swooping after a critter on the ground. We used to see owls out in Moorpark, CA before it built up as well. Fun to sit out on a cold dark winter night, with a little Jim Beam, and watch the owls hunt.

KevinB
10-05-2011, 9:56 PM
Bubba, your neighbor gets caught and it is a federal charge punishable for up to 2 years in jail and a 10,000 dollar fine.

The general public is not even allowed to possess owl feathers.