PDA

View Full Version : Rifled slugs with modified choke - reprise

Glock22Fan
02-06-2007, 8:09 AM
I got some Federal rifled slugs (12g) after a previous thread said it was OK to use them with smoothbore barrels, but I then thought I'd check with Weatherby (re. my Weatherby Centurion semi-auto, which has a fixed modified choke).

I spoke with a so-called tech support guy that didn't seem to know a great deal about shotguns; he insisted that no slugs of any type should ever be fired through any shotgun unless it has a rifled barrel. He didn't even seem to know what a Sabot slug was.

I think he was just ignorant, and too full of ego to admit it. Or, maybe, it's a bit like the handgun makers who say "Never use reloads" because of the possible liability issues. What's the forum's response, especially regarding the modified choke?

Sorry if this is flogging the subject to death, but I'd like to shoot slugs, but don't want to risk splitting my barrel open.

mow
02-06-2007, 8:21 AM
I am pretty sure that you will need to remove the choke to use rifled slugs in a smooth bore barrel.

I am sure someone more knowledgable will be around shortly to confirm or deny that.

CalNRA
02-06-2007, 10:31 AM
don't just remove the mod choke but also put in a less restrictive choke, otherwise you could screw up the threads. Don't ask me how I know

MrTuffPaws
02-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Rifled slugs (aka foster slugs) are fine to shoot out of a cylinder or modified choked barrel. I run a modified on my 870 and have never had a problem with the many fosters that I have put down range.

Glock22Fan
02-06-2007, 11:19 AM
don't just remove the mod choke but also put in a less restrictive choke, otherwise you could screw up the threads. Don't ask me how I know

As far as I can see, there is no way to change, or remove, this choke - it looks as if it is part of the barrel. In fact, the only way I know it is there is because the barrel is engraved to say so.

Rifled slugs (aka foster slugs) are fine to shoot out of a cylinder or modified choked barrel. I run a modified on my 870 and have never had a problem with the many fosters that I have put down range.

Thanks, that ties up with what I'd read earlier, just wanted to make sure. However, I'd still like to hear from anyone who has had (or knows someone who has had) a bad experience doing this?

randy
02-06-2007, 11:42 AM
It is fine to shoot rifled slugs out of your shotgun. Many people shoot rifled slugs out of full choke barrels. I shoot 10 to 20 slugs a week out of my IC or Mod choke shotgun.

Have fun

sargenv
02-06-2007, 12:04 PM
The standard line I tell people about shooting any kind of slugs in your gun is to cut a slug loose of the cartridge and then push it through the constricted area to see how much effort there is to it. Another way would be to measure the constriction (inside diameter)of your choke and and then measure the outside diam of the slug. If it's within a few thousanths of an inch, I'd say go for it. Fosters are not generally solid slugs (Usually hollow based) and will swage down to the tightest constriction size when fired. I use Sellier & Bellot Breneke style slugs in my Browning Gold and find that the Modified choke is finger tight, but not overly so and it gives the best accuracy for a smoothbore. It sounds like he didn't know the answer and was talking nonsense or he was just covering his tail.

Vince

xenophobe
02-06-2007, 2:02 PM
Many people shoot rifled slugs out of full choke barrels.

That's just dangerous. I've seen cracked chokes and buldged and craked barrels...

Only shoot slugs out of Cylinder, Skeet, and Improved Cylinder, and of coruse a rifled slug choke. Some people will shoot them out of Modified chokes without any adverse effects, but I would advise against it.