PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide which barrel length for a 22 survival handgun

problemchild
10-03-2011, 9:27 AM
I cannot decide which to get. The 7" barrel will be a tad more accurate but the 5" will be more handy and concealable. The shorter barrel is lighter and moves quicker as well as stows in a holster easier. The longer barrel has a larger sight radius and would make the extra few yards shooting easier.

I want this gun for a backup for the wifes AR platform and also an overall shtf survival gun and the cheap ammo. She can shoot a large bore handgun but is not quick with it. Ive just decided to buy her this gun to have fun with and hone her handgun skills without being intimidated by the large bore recoil and blast.

http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIIHunter/images/10132.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIIHunter/images/10118.jpg

hawkeye
10-03-2011, 9:45 AM
I say the 7 inch. I've had one similar and never had problems with it's length. Whether your back packing or using it in a go bag, you have enough room to conceal it. You can even go with a vertical shoulder holster if you need it concealed on your person.

PS, I'm sure you already know this, but please do not buy bulk brick ammo if your planning on self defense with it. Get the good stuff.

Ripon83
10-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Dan Wesson 22 Pistol Pac is your choice....2.5, 4, 6 and 8 inch

Its easy for me to say because I have one and know they aren't making them. Still I prefer revolver for the situation you describe and the new Ruger looks nice - 8 shot - heavy frame but I prefer that.

PS...I was just getting ready to sell the 6 inch and 8 inch barrels cause I never use them and prefer the shorter....so in your choice I'd go for the shorter barrel.

SVRider
10-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Not exactly an answer to your question, but have you considered a Glock with an Advantage Arms 22 upper? Gives you the both of best worlds, a centerfire and a rimfire in a package not too much bigger than the centerfire pistol in the first place.

The AA upper is aluminum, so not too heavy and to change calibers it is just like field stripping the pistol. Take one slide assembly off, install the other, change mags...that's it.

Just a thought....

sholling
10-03-2011, 3:34 PM
Assuming that you plan to hunt with it I'd probably go with a 7" for the longer sight radius. What I wouldn't even consider is using a 22 is self defense. Personally I'd rather see your wife stick a 9mm on her belt for self defense and pack a Marlin Papoose break down rifle in your survival gear for hunting rabbits and squirrels. 22 pistols are for cheap practice and I'd get the 7" for that - but get one that has similar ergonomics as her handgun. In my case I shoot M&Ps and 1911s and therefore chose a Browning Buck Mark for the similar ergonomics. If she shoots Glocks then a Ruger Mk III makes sense.

FrankG
10-03-2011, 4:37 PM
browning buckmark camper...

then get a http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/trail-lite-barrel-upgrade-for-the-browning-buck-mark-pistol for added weight savings.

also you dont have to go threw an ffl to buy the new barrel

sholling
10-03-2011, 5:20 PM
browning buckmark camper...

then get a http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/trail-lite-barrel-upgrade-for-the-browning-buck-mark-pistol for added weight savings.

also you dont have to go threw an ffl to buy the new barrel

No threaded pistol barrels in California.

elSquid
10-03-2011, 5:45 PM
I have a Ruger P4 - 4 inch barrel. I haven't found the shorter barrel to be an impediment to accuracy; in fact I find that I'm more accurate with it than with my other centerfire service-style pistols.

Fixed barrel, no recoil, great sights, decent trigger = easy to shoot well.

FWIW, a 4 inch Ruger isn't a small gun. My P4 and G34:

https://sites.google.com/site/sqidbait/_/rsrc/1292207787070/rugerg34/rugerg34.JPG

If there is any chance that you might want to legally conceal it, I'd skip the long barrels.

-- Michael

damon1272
10-03-2011, 7:46 PM
I have fired the longer version and have the 5" version. I prefer the shorter version as it balances much better. Accuracy is a non issue with the shorter version. Aguila makes a 60grn bullet that works great for the shorter barrel and is accurate for 25 yards. Went shooting with my 5" version the other day and surprised myself how quickly and accurately you could dump a magazine. Yea I know it is a 22 but what i was surprised about was the accuracy. Great little guns that is for sure.

jyo
10-03-2011, 10:41 PM
I vote 5"---it's just more handy---I would even consider one of the 22/45 versions with poly frame---lighter still and similar grip angle to 1911/P35 types. If this is planned as a field/survival pistol, lighter and more compact is better---you carry it a lot more than you shoot it.

Stormfeather
10-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Go with the longer barrel. AS for your SHTF reasons, concealability probably wont be an issue if the S actually does HTF

jeffrice6
10-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Out of the two Rugers I'd go with the 5"

Joewy
10-04-2011, 7:38 AM
Might I suggest a revolver?
Ones like this usally have a 8 round cylinder. This one I can switch cylinders between 22lr and 22 magnum. It will also fire 22 rifle and 22 shorts in the 22lr cylinder. The 22 lr is not much of a self defence round unless you are using stingers. The bulk ammo has no power whatsoever. The 22 magnum will eaisly take down what ever you are shooting at. Ive shot large wild dogs using standard JHP rounds and the Speer gold dot 22 magnum is a very good SD round. And a revolver takes much more abuse than a automatic and never fails to fire. Works good as a hammer too. :D

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac146/crappiewy/DSCN1468.jpg

FrankG
10-04-2011, 11:56 AM
No threaded pistol barrels in California.

you can get them in standard end too (non threaded)

xrMike
10-04-2011, 12:22 PM
PS, I'm sure you already know this, but please do not buy bulk brick ammo if your planning on self defense with it. Get the good stuff.What would that be (the good stuff)?

Scout2Diesel
10-04-2011, 9:13 PM
5" will do... but I'd let the boss decide. :)

problemchild
10-04-2011, 10:29 PM
5" will do... but I'd let the boss decide. :)

She chose the smaller one. I guess size doesnt always matter.:eek: