PDA

View Full Version : .22 hollow points

desertjosh
10-03-2011, 8:18 AM
Are they less accurate then round nose? I just realized the box I bought for an Appleseed shoot was hps. Do you guys think it matters?

GJC
10-03-2011, 8:53 AM
I made Rifleman shooting bulk federal hollow point 36gr. Seemed to work great for me. :D
This was out of a Marlin 795.

Rock6.3
10-03-2011, 8:59 AM
It depends upon your rifle.

With rimfire rifles it seems that each rifle has ammo that it prefers, and yes I mean each individual rifle.

Take them to the range and give them a try, see what your group size is, and if it properly works the action (if semi auto).
Then change ammo and try again.
Repeat until you find a product that is acceptable to you and your rifle.

Izzy43
10-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Are they less accurate then round nose? I just realized the box I bought for an Appleseed shoot was hps. Do you guys think it matters?

You will find that all .22lr Match grade ammo is round nose so I think the answer is yes, round nose is more accurate than hollow points and as a general rule, standard velocity is more accurate than high velocity.

Now for an Appleseed shoot the hollow point high velocity ammo will probably work good as you are not trying to put 5 bullets thru the same hole @ 50 yds. I don't know how big the box of ammo is that you bought but I understand that during the Appleseed they shot a lot of ammo, maybe upwards of 300-500 rounds. You might want to check on that before going.

Izzy43
10-03-2011, 11:06 AM
I made Rifleman shooting bulk federal hollow point 36gr. Seemed to work great for me. :D
This was out of a Marlin 795.

Congrats on that accomplishment. :taz::taz::taz:

donw
10-03-2011, 1:18 PM
[QUOTE=Izzy43;7257992]You will find that all .22lr Match grade ammo is round nose so I think the answer is yes, round nose is more accurate than hollow points and as a general rule, standard velocity is more accurate than high velocity.

I've found this to be true, too.