PDA

View Full Version : Legality of a Ruger 10/22 w/ Trimag?

BHP FAN
10-03-2011, 7:47 AM
Are the Trimag and Quadmag set ups for the Ruger 10/22 California legal?

Shellshocker66
10-03-2011, 7:51 AM
As far as I have seen there is nothing in the laws saying they are illegal. The principle of the tri-mag is not that you are increasing mag capacity, just using a tool to help keep them in one place which still requires you to switch magazines to go to the next 10 rounds.

Some of the more legal minded folks I'm sure will pop in and say different if there is a problem with them.

bwiese
10-03-2011, 7:57 AM
I am unaware of the product being discussed. Informally:

1.) if this device allows 3 mags to work as one unified mag, it may be worrisome.

2.) if this device allows 3 mags to be used, and requires manual switchover from Mag A to Mag B to Mag C as ammo runs out in each mag, then I have
far less worries.

Also important is whether or not the mags are readily removed from such an adapter. If they're regularly latched in as a normal detachable mag in each position, great. If for some reason they're screwed down, etc. and locked into the adapter so it runs as "one big mag" - even with some manual switchover drama - then that is also worrisome.

Mstrty
10-03-2011, 8:18 AM
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/images/1022/trimag2.jpg

This is what he is referring too. They may be purchased here (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=197535)

It doesn't connect the capacity's. Only the bodies of the magazines. Similar to the way the AR15 mag yokes (http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/24695/catid/25/Arredondo__039_s_AR_15_M16_Magazine_Yoke)or couplers work.

GOEX FFF
10-03-2011, 8:49 AM
Nothing illegal about the Tri-mag. You're not increasing the capacity of any magazine.
When your first magazine and 10rnds are done, you drop it and insert another 10rnd mag.

Purple K
10-03-2011, 8:53 AM
Just like taping two or three AR mags together

bwiese
10-03-2011, 9:30 AM
Just like taping two or three AR mags together

Um, maybe, maybe not. Esp to a judge.

The actual wording of the law in 12020 for LCAFDs :

12020(c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine"
means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept
more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of
the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that
it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

The above-mentioned TriMag is a unitary device and holds over 10 rounds. (The name prefix "Tri..." is helpful.)

There's no reference to 'in firing position without manipulation', etc.
There are 3 exemptions given already (meaning the regard for other exemptions may be reduced).

I now think this may - carried to maximal extent - be different than 3 separate 10rd magazines duct taped together.

From a practical standpoing I don't see this as being heavily prosecutable it may be defensdabe but still...

10-03-2011, 9:39 AM
I really dont see any issue with it being CA legal since it holds 3 individual 10 round magazines.
You are not increase the individual magazine to over 10 rounds.
You are using a device that neither directly feeds ammuntion to the magazine and in no way increases its individual 10 round capazity.
You still have to manually release the magazine and insert the next magazine.
I actually purchased one last week.

BHP FAN
10-03-2011, 9:56 AM
I'm thinking I will, too. I'd like to be sure on this, tho'...

Briancnelson
10-03-2011, 9:56 AM
You are applying logic to a California gun law.

Stop.

Read the law, as bwiese has, and understand it means what it says, no more, and no logical implications can be drawn from it.

His point is that the law does not actually contain the words you are using for making the distinction. The fact it takes three mags and makes them one unitary device may be problematic if you got some extreme anti-gun prosecutor on your case, because he doesn't have to apply anything but the words of the law. No reasonable inferences, no, gosh this is the way it ought to be.

The trimag could be argued to be a single device, if it is really attaching the three magazines permanently in that configuration, with screws for example. If it is just clipping them in, less likely. If it is found to be so it violates the law. There are precedents in Cali gun law regarding what is a single device, or what is part of a single device, and those include anything permanently attached. Bullet button tools would be one such example. Certain kinds of muzzle devices are another.

You potentially get in trouble with California gun laws when you try to make them logical, or apply reason to them.

You probably won't have a problem, practically speaking, but the potential is there.

bwiese
10-03-2011, 10:00 AM
I really dont see any issue with it being CA legal since it holds 3 individual 10 round magazines.

Ah, OK. It looked like a triangular single device - that's why I used word 'unitary' before

You say those are 3 separate mags with a separate central widget?

That's OK, fine, then.

Thanks for clarification! I just wasn't familiar with product specifics, not a rimfire guy

GOEX FFF
10-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Ah, OK. It looked like a triangular single device - that's why I used word 'unitary' before

You say those are 3 separate mags with a separate central widget?

That's OK, fine, then.

Thanks for clarification! I just wasn't familiar with product specifics, not a rimfire guy

Yes, exactly.

http://shopruger.com/images/49800_L.jpg

SoCalCitizen
10-03-2011, 8:10 PM
Move along, nothing illegal about trimag. Best way to have 30 rounds of .22 handy. Doesn't hang down like a banana clip. Good luck

BHP FAN
10-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Thank you. the whole thing is held together with one coin slotted screw, not permanent, and each mag is still feeding separately.

vincewarde
10-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Yep, it's legal. Connecting magazines together is OK, joining them together them together to make one big magazine would not be.

I actually have connected several of my 10/22 mags together in pairs with square aluminum tubing. Works well. Also makes it easier to get mags out.

BHP FAN
10-04-2011, 1:47 PM
Clever!

yelohamr
10-04-2011, 1:55 PM
All of my pre-ban 30 rounders snap together in pairs. Legal...even in CA.

MasterYong
10-04-2011, 2:22 PM
It's just a mag coupler.

I asked this question a year ago on cg and was told they're good to go.

There is a calgunner that sells them, as well as pouches for them.

They also sell them at almost every single ca gun shop I've ever been to. They're the most common 10/22 accessory Ive seen, save for maybe a mag loader.

BHP FAN
10-05-2011, 4:43 PM
Good to know. I share the range with LEOs which could've made this more than a little embarrassing.

GrayWolf09
10-05-2011, 5:05 PM
Hey that is slick. I've got to get one for my 10/22. I have 3 Butler Creek 10 round mags that attach to each other but they aren't nearly as compact as that.:)

BHP FAN
10-05-2011, 7:15 PM
I just got it, and it IS slick! Kinda reminds me of those novelty truck hitch attachments, though. Not being arrested by my fellow shooters or the rangemaster is a big plus!