PDA

View Full Version : Question about proof of residency and ID

Nevdawg88
10-03-2011, 1:33 AM
Hello,

I want to purchase a handgun and I just want to get some questions cleared up before I actually do the purchasing. Now I know I need three things when it comes to purchasing a handgun: HSC certificate, ID card, and proof of residency. I already have the HSC certificate.

For about a year now I have been living in another city of California other than my home city where I am attending grad school.

I got a copy of the lease and my name is on it which I assume is enough for the proof of residency?

As for the ID card, I have a CA driver's license and the address on it is not the one that is on my lease, it has my home address. So I am wondering if that will cause a problem? Or is the ID card and proof of residency documents for separate purposes? I plan on using my school-time address when signing any forms.

Thanks for the help!

TheExpertish
10-03-2011, 4:09 AM
Plan on whichever address is going to be easiest. See if your home address is still some place that you receive mail, you can use it. Your ID and proof of residency are just supposed to back each other up and show the same address.

morrcarr67
10-03-2011, 7:24 AM
The address on your ID and supporting docs must match. If the if the ID you have right now is a CA DL I would go down and get a CA ID with the address on your lease agreement.

huck
10-03-2011, 9:01 AM
The address on your ID and supporting docs must match. If the if the ID you have right now is a CA DL I would go down and get a CA ID with the address on your lease agreement.

I don't think this is true. My DLN is from one city - where I used to live, but the supporting docs I've used (car registration, deed to house) don't have that same address.

You need a government issued picture ID (to prove you are who you say you are) and you need other docs to show you're a CA resident. They don't need to match addresses.

The law says that the address you use on the DROS form has to match the address you use for Proof of Residency OR the ID.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/resprf.php

Freq18Hz
10-03-2011, 9:04 AM
No that won't be enough at lots of places. You will need a CA ID/CDL with your current address on it, and a second proof of residency that shows that same current address. Anything less than that, and you can expect to have big problems.

-Freq

Synergy
10-03-2011, 9:16 AM
I was just told the brown change or address card is no longer acceptable and you will need a DMV printout with you new address. :facepalm:

huck
10-03-2011, 9:28 AM
I was just told the brown change or address card is no longer acceptable and you will need a DMV printout with you new address. :facepalm:

The ID is still valid. You just can't use it as proof of residency. It's still valid as an ID, though.

See my earlier post.

Lumpia is sarap!
10-03-2011, 10:12 AM
If the residence on your paperwork doesn't match, then there will be a delay. Find at least two forms of I.D. with the exact same address.

Nevdawg88
10-03-2011, 2:31 PM
Well yea the thing is the only document that has my current address is the lease agreement.

So is it even possible if I want to get another ID with my current address? Is it ok to have 2 ID's with different addresses?

sundayduffer
10-03-2011, 2:37 PM
I had one of those brown new address card. It did not work.
I ended up bringing my Renewal Registration letter from DMV with my new address on it. That worked. Granted if your DL has not expired.

huck
10-03-2011, 2:48 PM
Well yea the thing is the only document that has my current address is the lease agreement.

So is it even possible if I want to get another ID with my current address? Is it ok to have 2 ID's with different addresses?

I have bought 3 different guns with my DL that has my old address on it.

DROS using the address on your lease. Your valid, current DL is fine for your ID.

...and you should probably ask the store where you plan to buy. They should be able to tell you if you have everything or not.

Not all gun stores are manned by people who understand the law (understatement of the century).

If you tell us the area where you live, we can probably tell you a good gun store with sharp people behind the counter.

huck
10-03-2011, 3:34 PM
...actually, now that I think about it, I bought a pistol at Bass Pro and a Mosin at Big-5 BEFORE those other three and I was using that same incorrect driver's license. So, you should have no trouble.

Synergy
10-03-2011, 3:56 PM
The ID is still valid. You just can't use it as proof of residency. It's still valid as an ID, though.

See my earlier post.

Thanks, I got thrown for a loop, never had to DROS with a change of address. My county government issued utility bill worked for government ID.

infernl
10-03-2011, 4:02 PM
I only just put my Glock30 into jail, and used my CDL and a registration card for ID/Supporting proof. I had additional registrations as well, but they were only interested in one.

Hardwarejunkie
10-03-2011, 4:42 PM
I had the same problem a while back. Two shops told me the mismatched addresses were ok for long guns but not for handguns.

One place wouldn't accept my mortgage deed, which is on the list of approved documents, but luckily I had my own vehicle registration for some reason ( I was in my company truck at the time ).

I would check with the shop you plan on buying from, as Huck recommended.
It seems like it is up to the individual shop as to what they are comfortable with - much like the 11 day wait thing.

joe84780
10-03-2011, 5:02 PM
If you're curious about what's going to work or not for ID on the federal and state level, check out this post in the FFL forum.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=327217

Ten Percent Firearms has put together a great cheat sheet that explains what's acceptable to meet both ATF 4473 form ID requirements as well as state residency proof. It's not guaranteed that every dealer will follow these guidelines, but most will.

If you have any questions, ask in the FFL forum. They will answer any question you have.

den888
10-03-2011, 5:28 PM
I was in a similar situation as I moved and my CDL showed my previous address.

I used my CDL with my old address, and a voter registration card to verify my address change. The FFL mentioned that a car registration with my new address would also be satisfactory.

I had my HSC, then used a utility bill (PG&E) to prove residency.

Call the FFL that you would be working with, to make sure.