PDA

View Full Version : picking up gun on 11th day?

KillZone45
10-02-2011, 11:12 PM
So I did a PPT the other day, they marked on the paper when I could pick it up and it was actually the 11th day not the 10th, as in ten 24hr periods like the CA DOJ states. I did the PPT on 9/29 at about 2:45pm, can I argue with the gun store to release the gun on the 10th day or are they legally allowed to keep the gun till the 11th day? Thanks!

orangeusa
10-02-2011, 11:19 PM
It happens. I never try until the 11th day - and even before leaving, I call. LGS gets very little $$ for PPT.

KillZone45
10-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Obviously it happens they have been doing this for awhile now. I also know that they are only making like $10 off the transaction but they don't stand to gain any more $ by keeping it one more day, heck if anything it is taking up more shelf space that could be occupied by one of their guns.

Aspec5vz
10-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Yea I was told I could pick up my Glock after 11 days too. Should have asked why but I neglected to do so.

tacticalcity
10-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Because if they accidentally let you pick it up a minute early the DOJ can shut them down. It is CYA.

PanaDP
10-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Is the shop closed on the 10th day? It's a Sunday.

Librarian
10-03-2011, 12:06 AM
It isn't common, but it isn't rare.

(1) Yes, it's legal.

(2) it appears to be associated with a desire to avoid mistakes - inadvertently releasing a gun early can be a problem at audit.

(3) the feared mistakes in some cases have been associated with the quality of employees available.

KillZone45
10-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Gotcha. The release date is a Sunday but if they did release the gun at the tenth 24hr period they would still be open. It probably boils down to them not wanting one of their employees making a mistake.

MrExel17
10-03-2011, 8:35 AM
Normal stuff

den888
10-03-2011, 8:49 AM
Standard policy at Target Masters in Milpitas.

foxtrotuniformlima
10-03-2011, 9:10 AM

(3) the feared mistakes in some cases have been associated with the quality of employees available.

This one ^

Sometimes you can reason with them.

tonyxcom
10-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Because if they accidentally let you pick it up a minute early the DOJ can shut them down. It is CYA.

Thus a 1440 minute buffer?

If they are worried about the quality of the employee doing the DROS or PPT to not be able to add 10 calendar days to the current date... well they shouldn't be doing DROS or PPT work.

It also wouldn't be that hard to have another employee independently review the paperwork at the end of the day to make sure pick up dates were relayed to customers correctly. If they made a mistake, they have an entire 10 days to get a hold of the customer to let them know.

billped
10-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Thus a 1440 minute buffer?

If they are worried about the quality of the employee doing the DROS or PPT to not be able to add 10 calendar days to the current date... well they shouldn't be doing DROS or PPT work.

It also wouldn't be that hard to have another employee independently review the paperwork at the end of the day to make sure pick up dates were relayed to customers correctly. If they made a mistake, they have an entire 10 days to get a hold of the customer to let them know.

Good arithmetic, bad conclusion. Waiting until the next day doesn't mean 24 extra hours and you need to use business hours anyway.

As an example, if the by-the-book timing you could have picked it up at 4pm on Tuesday and instead get it at 9am on Wednesday (assuming 9-6 business hours), that is two hours later. Yes, you could get burned if the next day is a day they are closed. That happened to me ... bummer.

I find this topic similar to arguing about why a certain store charges more than another. Whinging on a forum does nothing - vote with your feet and wallet - go elsewhere.

Bill

tacticalcity
10-03-2011, 12:34 PM
If you are the kind of person who would be really upset about it, and not understand that they are terrified of a government bureaucracy breathing down their necks and just waiting for them to screw up, then I submit you are probably the same kind of person who would DROS a gun at 4pm, and then come in a 8am on day 10 and be pissed when they tell you to comeback at 4:01pm.

They are being smart and covering their rear. Your other choice is for them to get closed down and not be there anymore and have no place close by to buy a gun.

It is a question of keeping things in perspective.

Lead Waster
10-03-2011, 2:06 PM
"But but ... I'm mad NOW!"

Homer J. Simpson

If you pick it up at 10 days minus 1 minute, you might still be angry and do something irrational. It's best to wait the extra hours to make sure you're calm.

tacticalcity
10-03-2011, 2:09 PM
"But but ... I'm mad NOW!"

Homer J. Simpson

If you pick it up at 10 days minus 1 minute, you might still be angry and do something irrational. It's best to wait the extra hours to make sure you're calm.

Silencer...loudener....

xIpLd0WQKCY

skyscraper
10-03-2011, 4:18 PM
Patience...Not that big of a deal.

dctex99
10-03-2011, 4:22 PM

JUST before leaving the store they told me , NO, not Saturday before the gun show....but Tuesday, since we are closed Sunday and Monday....so 14 ddays.....He just lost my business in the future:mad:

paul0660
10-03-2011, 4:27 PM
They are being smart and covering their rear.

Because they are stupid.

If they can calculate 11 days, they can figure out 10. In fact, it would save them having to take off their shorts or socks.

It isn't illegal for them to keep it for 11, or 29 days, or even more (YOU would just have to DROS it again.)

As for patience, We Bought it, We OWN it, WE Passed the backround check. Some of us actually plan to shoot our firearms, and scheduling makes a difference. Don't tell me to wait a day when it means a week waiting to shoot, and it is LEGAL.

I have a mental spreadsheet that rates LGS's, and that is parameter ONE.

skyscraper
10-03-2011, 6:14 PM
When you own a gunshop you can run it however You want. Why get mad at a store for following their own policy?

Because they are stupid.

If they can calculate 11 days, they can figure out 10. In fact, it would save them having to take off their shorts or socks.

It isn't illegal for them to keep it for 11, or 29 days, or even more (YOU would just have to DROS it again.)

As for patience, We Bought it, We OWN it, WE Passed the backround check. Some of us actually plan to shoot our firearms, and scheduling makes a difference. Don't tell me to wait a day when it means a week waiting to shoot, and it is LEGAL.

I have a mental spreadsheet that rates LGS's, and that is parameter ONE.

tacticalcity
10-03-2011, 6:27 PM
Instead of getting upset with the legislature for passing the waiting period law in the first place, or getting mad at the DOJ for the draconian way they enforce the law, you choose to get upset with the small business owner who is brave enough to sell guns in this liberal nightmare of a state? Way to bite the hand that feeds you.

skyscraper
10-03-2011, 6:31 PM
Instead of getting upset with the legislature for passing the waiting period law in the first place, or getting mad at the DOJ for the draconian way they enforce the law, you choose to get upset with the small business owner who is brave enough to sell guns in this liberal nightmare of a state? Way to bite the hand that feeds you.

I completely agree. Like you said earlier, they have to be extra careful running a business that a government dept would like nothing better than to close down. So yeah, I can wait an extra day without crying about it. Plan your range days accordingly.

dctex99
10-03-2011, 6:36 PM
I completely agree. Like you said earlier, they have to be extra careful running a business that a government dept would like nothing better than to close down. So yeah, I can wait an extra day without crying about it. Plan your range days accordingly.

I can wait two ***king hours for a Pizza too,,but I am NOT going to,,and if I ever do,,,,,,,,,,,,Never go back,,,same with LGS>>>if they are that paranoid, I don'twant my name on their audit; maybe they have something to hidel!!!!!!!

paul0660
10-03-2011, 6:50 PM
So, I should petition the legislature, make some appropriate donations to my assembly people and senators, maybe make a couple roundtrips to Sac, to possibly get a law more specific.............

Instead of expecting a gun shop TO WHICH I HAVE VISITED to do a task that is actually EASIER than making change?

Proves anyone one can be silly.

Despite post count.

jeffrice6
10-03-2011, 11:15 PM
If you are the kind of person who would be really upset about it, and not understand that they are terrified of a government bureaucracy breathing down their necks and just waiting for them to screw up, then I submit you are probably the same kind of person who would DROS a gun at 4pm, and then come in a 8am on day 10 and be pissed when they tell you to comeback at 4:01pm. .
Thats a pretty big assumption! Or more likely ~ A fellow firearms enthusiast that waited the mandated ten 24 hour periods & would like to take possession of his/her property....

They are being smart and covering their rear. Your other choice is for them to get closed down and not be there anymore and have no place close by to buy a gun
Not smart, cheap & lazy.... Hire intelligent people & take the time to train your staff and you wont have to worry! (Plenty of other shops seem to make it work) But maybe you're right, lets just make it idiot proof & call it an even 20 day waiting period.... That way there rears are completely covered and never go out out of business! And hey, long as we're at it, guess we shouldn't gripe about those pesky shops that illegally overcharge on fees.... I mean they're doin us a favor & it will help keep their doors open. After all, they're not in it for the money ~

Tangent tirade temper-tantrum Over

Anchors
10-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Also, make sure that the tenth day isn't a day they are closed (like Sunday, for instance).
If they're closed on the tenth day, then the eleventh day it is.

I've only been to one place I think that made me wait eleven. Most write the time the DROS went through and let you pick it up in ten days on or after that time of day.
After a ten day wait, one day is no big deal to me. Hopefully someday we'll get rid of that whole waiting period (or neuter it down to like three days for your first handgun and then no waiting period if you have any others registered in your name. Maybe the antis will budge to that).

slick_711
10-04-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm so glad I left CA. You poor guys. I'm not sure what I miss less, the ten day wait, or listening to other people complain about an extra half a day. :shrug:

shooterdude
10-04-2011, 6:39 AM
Did you ask these questions and do your due diligence before engaging in this transaction?

or

Did you "ASSUME" that you could pickup your gun after the 10th 24 hour period?

Don't blame the merchant for your failure to become an educated consumer.

esartori
10-04-2011, 8:13 AM
Did you ask these questions and do your due diligence before engaging in this transaction?

or

I agree. When I purchase my guns they usually tell me (and write down) what time exactly I can pick up my gun. With that said, I don't understand how the extra minute/hour/day is such a big deal. At the end of the day you are still getting your weapon in a state that is already hard to get weapons in. It's a win for you, a win for the gunshop, and a win for gun rights in CA. If you want to argue that it's the "principle" of the transaction and that it should be exactly 10 days and 1 minute, I say look at the principles the store supports by offering to sell guns in the first place.

SoCalDep
10-04-2011, 8:50 PM
It has some to do with fear of DOJ...It probably has more to do with the surprisingly high number of customers who show up early and throw an absolute temper-tantrum when you won't release the gun to them an hour early.

I've had to deal with the temper tantrums and it's absolutely infuriating how immature grown men purchasing lethal weapons can be.

Fishslayer
10-04-2011, 9:39 PM
Because they are stupid.

Or just lazy. Turners gives you an electronically printed receipt with date/time stamp on it. You can pick up your gun 10 days + 1 minute from DROS.

Other shops can't be bothered & make you wait 11. It's CYA. The wait has to be 240 hours. If DOJ finds out the wait was 239 hours poof goes the FFL. :(
I have no idea what DOJ requires as far as record keeping for that.

I don't worry about it. For some reason when I buy a new gun I always seem to DROS it 10 days from a holiday or Sunday or whatever & wind up waiting more than 10 days anyway. The very first handgun I bought the pickup date fell on a Saturday that my FFL was off training cops. I had to wait till the next Tuesday! :crybaby:

KillZone45
10-07-2011, 2:41 AM

or

I hope this isnt directed at me. I have done PPT with them before and I picked them up on the 11th day, not a huge deal I was just curious was all.
So don't assume that I was blaming the merchant for anything.

KillZone45
10-10-2011, 3:22 PM
Sometimes you can reason with them.

It probably has more to do with the surprisingly high number of customers who show up early and throw an absolute temper-tantrum when you won't release the gun to them an hour early.

Both of these were part of it, they said they would have released it to me if I would have came in after the 10 24hr periods and that people were showing up a few hours early on the 10th day. They got sick of people doing this so they just put the 11th day. Anyways I now have a Sig 220 combat in my possession now:43:

vintagearms
10-10-2011, 3:25 PM

EXACTLY ! I just picked up a handgun. They were closed Sunday and that would have been my pickup day. So what if I have to wait one more day. Its not like I am going straight to the range with it. Don't get some people. :confused::facepalm:

paul0660
10-10-2011, 3:28 PM
Its not like I am going straight to the range with it.

As you pointed out, that is you.

Ls1FALimpala
10-10-2011, 4:04 PM
My 10 days are up on october 18 at 330pm but I was told to come in on the 19th

bzzz
10-10-2011, 4:05 PM
during the 11 day wait, i distracted myself by researching reloading stuff on calguns. if anything, the 30 day wait between new handgun purchases gets at me.

jbush
10-10-2011, 4:40 PM
I wouldn't think Turners is the only company whose computers won't release a gun until 10 days and 1 minute. If I ran a gun shop I would be looking into such a speciality program, they've got to be available. Eliminates the human error of employees. The last 2 shotguns I purchased there were time stamped for pick up on a Friday at 7:01 pm. 1 minute after the store normally closes. They knew I wanted to go shooting that weekend, so they had me come in right before closing, did all the handwritten paperwork and inspect the guns, they kept the register open til after 7:01 and processed my pick up. At about 7:10 the asst manager unlocked the front door and let a very happy customer out with 2 shotguns. 2 thumbs up for a little extra customer service.

Panchira!
10-10-2011, 6:46 PM
I just realized that I too have to wait 11 days too. It's all good though but if they won't release by Friday then I'll be upset lol! :) bought on the 9th @ 1:30p pick up on the 20th.

I'm going shooting this weekend and this gun is coming with me! Hahaha!

Scratch705
10-10-2011, 8:58 PM
i don't think i have ever picked up a gun on the 10th day..... i usually forget and then pick up at the 15th day or something.

Cokebottle
10-10-2011, 9:28 PM
Happens all the time.

DROS at 6pm
Shop closes at 5 on pickup day, you can't pick up until the 11th day.
Shop closed on pickup day, you can't pick up until the 11th day.

And less "customer friendly"....
Shop has a policy of going 11 days so you don't walk in at noon on pickup day and get upset because you're told to come back in 1-2-3-4-5 hours.
Management is concerned that their employees will release early.
Should not be an issue at chains like Turner's because all DROS and pickups go through a manager anyways.

Many people report that they have been able to pick up their guns on day-10 if they go in at the appropriate time and ask the manager.

junkit_boy
10-10-2011, 9:46 PM
I can wait two ***king hours for a Pizza too,,but I am NOT going to,,and if I ever do,,,,,,,,,,,,Never go back,,,same with LGS>>>if they are that paranoid, I don'twant my name on their audit; maybe they have something to hidel!!!!!!!

well..think of it this way..now you only have to wait 29 days to buy a new gun :D

paul0660
10-10-2011, 9:48 PM
well..think of it this way..now you only have to wait 29 days to buy a new gun :D

Or zero if you do it differently, at which point you can get it, in 240 hours.

ElToro
10-10-2011, 10:37 PM
patience.. try sending a gun off for custom work. my colt has been in Hartford for 7 months next week

cmichini
10-11-2011, 5:57 PM
Standard policy at Target Masters in Milpitas.

That's why I did one transfer there and never went back. Not to shoot, not for ammo, not for gum.

I try to work with dealers that can count to 10, write that down accurately and don't jump on an opportunity to turn a 10 day infringement into an 11 day infringement.

Yes, I'm bitter.

appagohm
10-11-2011, 6:12 PM
That's not fair, it's 5 days in springfield ><

silverctr
10-12-2011, 1:45 PM

(1) Yes, it's legal.

(2) it appears to be associated with a desire to avoid mistakes - inadvertently releasing a gun early can be a problem at audit.

This is exactly true, especially for the big box stores like the one I work for. Somewhere along the line, some fartknocker screwed it up for everybody else by releasing a gun too early and the DOJ pounced all over it. It does suck, but I haven't come across any people that took issue with picking it up on the 11th day on the premise that I explained the necessity of the extra day at the time of purchase.

BLC
10-13-2011, 7:53 PM
Think I'll wait 11 days just for the hell of it. :D

WASR10
10-13-2011, 8:09 PM
Yep, used a new FFL for the first time and got an 11 day wait. Of course I'm the guy at the LGS on the 10th day waiting for the clock to hit 2:47 or whatever the time might be. Can't fault them for being cautious, and I can use the practice in patience.