PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Vs. Kimber 1911, need advice

ChuckP
10-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Shot a few 1911's today. A kimber, springfield and S&W. I liked everything about the Kimber. So much so that i was about to pull the trigger on a new Kimber Custom II TLE/RL II. But i figured i would do a little more research..

I noticed a lot people had positive things to say about the Ruger SR1911. But it also seems there are early production flaws. I can't see myself ever getting the chance to rent/shoot one.

Does anyone have ant experience with the Ruger? I've never bought a firearm i havn't test driven beforehand. I'm aware that they aren't really in the same "class". But is it really a case of "you get what you pay for". Price isn't a concern, but it sure would be nice to have an extra $500+ to put towards an AR build :)

JohnZ
10-03-2011, 1:20 AM
Are the Ruger 1911's legal in California?

DCF
10-03-2011, 1:30 AM
Yes it is legal, just not on the roster.

tacticalcity
10-03-2011, 1:36 AM
You will enjoy the Kimber. I bought mine used a few months back and have been pleased as punch with it. However, if your goal is ccw get a 1911 with an aluminum frame. Less weight helps when it is on your belt all day. If it is for shooting at the range, home defense, and a course or two then a steel frame is fine. The added weight helps cut down on the felt recoil. Let how you plan to use it be your guide.

I will say, new owners using scratch the heck of their 1911 when learning how to put it back together after cleaning it. Look up "idiot mark" online. While I didn't put a full on idiot mark on mine, I have added some wear and tear I otherwise would not have. I recommend making your first 1911 a used one. That way when you scratch it, and you will at somepoint scratch it, you won't feel bad. It already had a couple and you paid a couple hundred bucks less for it. It's your learner 1911. Once you're done learning the 1911 ins and outs then you spend full price on a brand new pristine one you can baby and not screw up.

Just my $0.02.

FYI, a couple months back there were some amazing deals on used S&W1911PD models on Gunbroker.com. Saw one go for $450. Killed me I didn't have the money to make a better bid at the time. Might still find them at a steel of price.

Anchors
10-03-2011, 1:52 AM
I have been eyeing that SR1911 as well. I've read nothing but good things about it for the price.

It isn't on the roster though.

TheExpertish
10-03-2011, 4:05 AM
Go Kimber.

-hanko
10-03-2011, 5:28 AM
Shot a few 1911's today. A kimber, springfield and S&W. I liked everything about the Kimber. So much so that i was about to pull the trigger on a new Kimber Custom II TLE/RL II. But i figured i would do a little more research..

I noticed a lot people had positive things to say about the Ruger SR1911. But it also seems there are early production flaws. I can't see myself ever getting the chance to rent/shoot one.

Does anyone have ant experience with the Ruger? I've never bought a firearm i havn't test driven beforehand. I'm aware that they aren't really in the same "class". But is it really a case of "you get what you pay for". Price isn't a concern, but it sure would be nice to have an extra $500+ to put towards an AR build :)
The 1911 forums are where you need to be. Try finding a trainer with a ruger, pay for an hour or so of instruction and go forward. Kimbers are OK imo. I see quite a few posts from folks grateful for Springfield's lifetime guarantee.

Practically, it makes zero difference which one you get...you're 95% of the equation, the gun and ammo the remainder.

Fanboys will take over shortly.:rolleyes:

Me, I'd look for a Colt.:)

-hanko

Write Winger
10-03-2011, 7:03 AM
Isn't this calguns? Why do I still see ppl posting "can't have it, not on the roster"?

Just FYI, there are legal ways to get off roster guns; read the sticky threads.

Quiet
10-03-2011, 7:09 AM
Isn't this calguns? Why do I still see ppl posting "can't have it, not on the roster"?

The people posting "not on the roster", did not post anything about not being able to have it.

The "not on the roster" comments is to inform that it will cost extra in money and hoops to jump through in order for a non-exempt person to obtain one in CA.

MTD
10-03-2011, 7:11 AM
Get what is available first to enjoy; hence the Kimber. Then get yourself on the wait list for the SR191; that would be sometime next year before your number is up (plenty of time to save up another ~$700+/-).

Bongos
10-03-2011, 7:21 AM
Don't overlook the Sig1911 as well, excellent gun with all the modern amenities,

billybob_jcv
10-03-2011, 9:46 AM
The OP also raises a good question - with so many 1911 clones currently on the market, if you are simply buying for recreational shooting and home defense, does spending much more money get you much more gun, or would that be like buying a Rolls Royce to take the kids back and forth to school? Of course the $1000 gun is "better" than the $600 gun - but is it $400 better?

negolien
10-03-2011, 10:00 AM
I have had nothing but good experiances from Rugers. I do however own a Custom II and love it. Not something you see every day unlike the glocks and stuff.

Paradiddle
10-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Of course the $1000 gun is "better" than the $600 gun - but is it $400 better?

Most of the time yes - and not just in quality but in the actual parts that come on it from the factory - beavertail, nice trigger, nice hammer, good sights, maybe a magwell, lowered ejection port, etc.

Most of the time people who buy a $600 gun put all that stuff on it once they shoot it and discover they've now spent $1400 on a gun that doesn't have the resale value of a $1000 gun.

Just my .02 - I would buy the most expensive one you can afford that meets your needs option wise.

kemikalembalance
10-03-2011, 10:06 AM
i vote Kimber as well. Alota good things said above for all. you need to make zero mods on a kimber. one of my friends has a springfield, it will not feed hollow points. not at all. the kimber, eats anything in its mag.

BajaJames83
10-03-2011, 10:09 AM
id vote for the kimber, ruger is just still too new...

fullspeed1
10-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Kimber Custom series is a great choice. The TL/RL will have most every option most people desire in a upgraded 1911. Despite what people say about Kimber's, They are great 1911's that will serve you well. I love my Custom II, It's a great 45acp platform that has runned flawlessly, And was relatively inexpensive.

Ornery Ol Bastard
10-03-2011, 11:07 AM

ChuckP
10-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Hey guys. I am aware the Ruger is not on the roster. It actually wont cost me anymore in terms of money or headaches to aquire. I was not aware that there was a waiting list for the Ruger? If this is true.. I need to look into that.

The 1911 will not be used for HD or LTC. Just as a range toy.

Hanko, good info. I'll see if i can find a trainer with a Ruger. If anyone here happens to own one, and is located in the Northbay, please shoot me a PM as i'm sure we can work something out.

I also have no interest in starting off with a cheap 1911 just to learn how to field strip it. Good advice. That's just not for me.

Truth be told, my good friend and shooting buddy will be picking up a Kimber Custom II. And while i'd prefer to take a different route, i'm not against buying the same gun as him. I've also always just been a big fan of Ruger. Appreciate all the help.

Cali-Shooter
10-03-2011, 11:23 AM
I love my Kimber TLE/RL to death, and although I am a die-hard Ruger fan as well, their model of 1911 isn't proven to me, as of yet.
Fyi, Kimber 1911's have been selected to be the Interim Close Quarters Battle pistol (ICQB) handguns of Marine Expeditionary Unit's MCSOCOM Det-1, and the handguns have reportedly fired 15,000 rounds, each gun.

tacticalcity
10-03-2011, 11:31 AM

I can understanding doing the single shot exeption on something easy like an AR or AK pistol where all you have to do is add a bullet button and a block off a magazine and you're done. You need the bullet button and you can unblock the magazine later. So it is not a waste of money. But I just can't see paying extra money to a shop to convert a regular pistol for me. There is a lot of added expense and effort with very little return on investment. If there were not a boat load of perfectly acceptable and even superior 1911s on the list that could be had for the same or less money I would feel differently. But if I am going to spend $100-$200 additional dollars, I would rather spend it on getting a gun that is $100-$200 better.

Don't get me wrong. I am glad it is option. I just havent found a regular handgun worth the extra money or added effort yet. Someday I probably will.

ChuckP
10-03-2011, 11:57 AM
I can understanding doing the single shot exeption on something easy like an AR or AK pistol where all you have to do is add a bullet button and a block off a magazine and you're done. You need the bullet button and you can unblock the magazine later. So it is not a waste of money. But I just can't see paying extra money to a shop to convert a regular pistol for me. There is a lot of added expense and effort with very little return on investment. If there were not a boat load of perfectly acceptable and even superior 1911s on the list that could be had for the same or less money I would feel differently. But if I am going to spend $100-$200 additional dollars, I would rather spend it on getting a gun that is $100-$200 better.

Don't get me wrong. I am glad it is option. I just havent found a regular handgun worth the extra money or added effort yet. Someday I probably will.

Some places provide this service (SSE) free of charge and it only takes a few extra minutes of your time ;)

tacticalcity
10-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Some places provide this service (SSE) free of charge and it only takes a few extra minutes of your time ;)

Now that would make it worth wild, if they'll do it to whatever gun I order online and have shipped to them. I am not a fan of buying in stores. I want the ability to hunt down the best deal online. Of course, now that FFLs are required to charge sales tax even on out of state purchases it is almost a wash. The fees a lot of stores charge for receiving things mailed to them is normally outragious compared to a small FFL, and even the small FFLs have been jaking up their prices. My has gone up to $65 to DROS things ordered online on my own, and if the seller remotely looks like a business rather than an individual I get hit with tax. The old guy retired and two new younger guys took over. Don't like their method compared to his. They lean way too much towards the side of caution.

Still it certainly seems like doing a SSE requires changing the way I normally do things and leaving my comfort zone. But I can understand doing it if the fees are non-existant or minimal and I can order what I want online without getting nailed with the standard brick and mortar store $120 fee to receive things mailed to them and purchased on your own.

It's just weird to see somebody jump through those kinds of hoops for a rather plain jane ordinary gun when the equivelent or better is already on the roster.

Don't get me wrong. I hate the roster as much as the next guy. But also like things to be as hassle free as possible. I won't jump through hoops for the ordinary. I can understand it if it is an Ed Brown or Nighthawk that is super cool and totally tricked out compared to the CA equivilent. Or if it is a different caliber than all the rostered equivilents (we have too few 9mm 1911s). Or it is the latest and greatest version of something we are used to getting but now can't get (Glock Gen 4s). But it seems odd that a rather unproven and ordinary 1911 would be worth the effort to somebody. Unless they are die hard Ruger fans. Then that would make sense to me. Brand loyalty is powerful.

billybob_jcv
10-03-2011, 12:06 PM

I absolutely agree - there are way, way too many good 1911s available to waste a couple of hundred dollars getting one that is off-roster across the border. If we were talking about a $3000 custom race gun, that would probably be worth it - but a common 1911? No way. I do wonder why Ruger and some of the other mfrs don't put their 1911 models on the roster - I guess perhaps they feel there's not enough market available to make it worthwhile. Stupid roster! :beatdeadhorse5:

tacticalcity
10-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Yep. Roster sucks. Just another scam to bring in money by extorting business and grow the size of the state government.

My standard response to any gripe about the government being out of control is "vote Republican". Not that it always applies here in California. We're the land of RINOs (Republican In Name Only). You never know how they will really end up voting at any given time. But you usually know for sure that you're gonna get hosed with a Democrat. Big government is part of the core philosophy of their base. So unless they are Democrat in name only, you know you'll get over regulation and layers of bureaucracy from them.

I'm reminded of the scene in Generation Kill when they drive through a town and the Iraqi's are all waiving and pretending they love the Americans. A sergeant says jokingly, "Thank you vote Republican!" I know it was a joke, but it's also true...you get what you vote for and elect...when the Republican is actually a Republican and a Democrat is actually a Democrat.

ChuckP
10-03-2011, 1:16 PM
I absolutely agree - there are way, way too many good 1911s available to waste a couple of hundred dollars getting one that is off-roster across the border.

Again, no one is wasting money to get an off roster 1911... Is this really that hard of a concept to comprehend?

please keep the politics and personal vendettas towards off roster guns out of this thread. thanks.

MTD
10-03-2011, 1:37 PM
Yep. Roster sucks. Just another scam to bring in money by extorting business and grow the size of the state government.

Amen!

Now can this be fixed?

Iggy
10-03-2011, 1:40 PM
I own a Kimber TLE II. So far with 2K rounds through it I have not had any problems. I had 2 failure to feeds at the end of the my first two mag changes (16 rounds), but that was due to the factory mag. It's a great gun!

If I were to do it again I might look at Springfields. I know this doesn't specifically answer your questions, but a good read for 1911's.

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/Choosing-a-1911-for-Duty-Use.html

Freq18Hz
10-03-2011, 1:56 PM
Between all those, I'd go with the Springfield.

-Freq

Lead Waster
10-03-2011, 2:17 PM
I considered all of these and decided that ... I don't know 1911's well enough to know what "features" are worth it to me. So I picked up an RIA Tactical. It's reasonably priced and I'm not going to upgrade it (except for grips), I'm just going to use it and use it and then figure out what upgrades/features I might find useful. Dumping a crapload of cash into a premium model without knowing if I will appreciate the features doesn't make sense to me.

Once you figure out what you do/don't like about the cheaper 1911 will help you make the most of your dollars when you check out premium models.

My 2 cents.

ChuckP
10-03-2011, 2:19 PM
I shot the Springfield Loaded, granted it wasnt a TRP, but i wasn't impressed at all. It felt like an older American made car vs. a new Toyota (Kimber). it just felt sloppy.

ZX-10R
10-03-2011, 3:10 PM
Colt, Kimber, and S&W...That was my short list. I went Colt. Great first 1911, beauty, name, quality, shoots extremely accurately, eats every ammo, and its a Colt. Kimber was not to far behind...My next 1911 will be a Kimber.

tacticalcity
10-03-2011, 3:19 PM
Again, no one is wasting money to get an off roster 1911... Is this really that hard of a concept to comprehend?

please keep the politics and personal vendettas towards off roster guns out of this thread. thanks.

No buddy, some places (if not most) charge for the conversion. Politics are WHY we have the roster. I have ZERO vendettas for anybody. Don't mischaracterize me please. It's not nice.

ChuckP
10-03-2011, 3:45 PM
No buddy, some places (if not most) charge for the conversion. Politics are WHY we have the roster. I have ZERO vendettas for anybody. Don't mischaracterize me please. It's not nice.

LOL, yes most shops charge a fee, i thought this was common knowledge around here? I am referring to MY situation, and no one elses.

I am well aware that politics are the reason why we have the roster, but that does not mean we need to discuss said politics in this thread. Capish?

Thanks to all who have offered advice. I didnt expect much feedback regarding the SR1911 on Calguns. It sure would be nice if someone owned one locally!

hkfooey
10-03-2011, 4:00 PM
I own both a TLE/II RL plus and old old Custom II Eclipse. After the initial 200 rounds break in, no jam what so ever. I did replace the plastic MSH on the TLE but leave the Eclipse stock (I bought it because of the black stainless). I also owned other 1911, like SA, DW, STI or even the "budget" RIA 1911 tactical.

Find the one you like, it is like comparing Honda vs. Toyota vs. Nissan or Mustang vs. Camero again... :)