PDA

View Full Version : Ithica 1911-A1?

MrElectric03
10-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Hey everyone,

im not too familiar with the 1911s yet but my girlfriends step mom was showing me a few guns her grandfather left her that she doesnt know anything about. One was a ruger mk1 in pretty nice shape, another was a cool 1971 model HK compact 9mm, and the one that really surprised me was a "U.S. Government Property" Ithica M1911-A1 marked "U.S. Army". It was very cool but I wasnt aware Ithica made militry issue 1911s. I tried a search but couldnt find much info. Does anyone have any info on when they were issued and possibly a ballpark figure of what they are worth? Its mint, not a scratch on it.

Thanks!

bruce381
10-02-2011, 10:44 PM
A nice collector made in WWII can be worth more than a new colt 1911.
I'm niot up on prices but perhaps 1,000-1,500.

beetle
10-02-2011, 10:55 PM
your best bet is to take good pictures and post them at www.1911forum.com in the "USGI" section -- lots of experts who know their stuff about 1911s hang out over there.

But here's some info to get you started. This is from Clawson's "Collector's Guide to Colt .45 Service Pistols"

In 1942 Ithaca got an order to produce 60,000 1911A1 pistols at a rate of 13,000 per month. However, Ithaca was rather slow to procure the manufacturing tools and tooling. The government helped them to hit their first production run by shipping surplus WWI parts from Springfield Armory. Throughout 1942 and 1943, Ithaca could only meet their quota with signficant help from the other production companies and their guns often had a mix of parts from Colt, US & S, and Remington Rand. In addition, the dept of ordanance lowered the quota from 13,000 to 10,000 so that Ithaca could meet its quota.

Ultimately, the dept of ordnance was not super happy with Ithaca. Not only did they have trouble producing their quota of guns, but the company itself did not do much to advance the manufacturing process or the pistol itself.

IF (and that's a big IF) the gun is indeed in all original condition and has not been messed with, refinished, or have parts replaced, then it might be worth anywhere from $1300-$2000 depending on condition. Recently it has been discovered that a small number of Ithacas were shipped to the Navy. If the Ithaca falls into that serial number range then there might be a premium of up to $1000 extra.

However, if the gun was turned back into the government after WW2 and was re-arsenaled (look for a stamp on the right side with a AA, SA, RIA), and is now completely parkerized, then the value drops to $700-$800 depending on condition.

If the gun was modified by anyone other than the government, (and a lot of WW2 era 1911s were used as base guns for customization), then the value drops to $500-$700.

If you post some pictures we might be able to help, but as I said in the beginning your best bet is to post on 1911forum.

Matt P
10-03-2011, 1:16 PM
Another source for you. I used this one to get info on my own Ithaca. Great resource.
1911 Info-Press me (http://www.model1911a1.com/)

And here is another one I have used.
The name says it all-Press Me (http://www.coolgunsite.com/)

hcbr
10-03-2011, 3:47 PM
hope it turns out to be valuable... never knew Ithaca was hired to help assemble and make the 1911's back then!

RedFord150
10-03-2011, 4:40 PM
... never knew Ithaca was hired to help assemble and make the 1911's back then!

During WWII, a lot of companies were called upon to make weapons for the US Military. As far as the 1911 goes, I think those made by Singer Sewing Machine Co. would be even more desirable.

Sikhawk
10-03-2011, 9:39 PM
yea a good condition singer can go for about about 166 k... dont believe me? http://rockislandauction.com/ bottom right

PRCABR4Christ
10-03-2011, 11:18 PM
yea a good condition singer can go for about about 166 k... dont believe me? http://rockislandauction.com/ bottom right

Singers are quite rare, they didn't make many...

off the top of my head, the 1911 manufacturers of yesteryear include Colt, Ithaca, Singer, Remington Rand, and US&S (Union Switch & Signal)...I can't recall if Springfield was building them or not though, to be honest I'm surprised H&R wasn't building them, they seem to build stuff for everybody lol

beetle
10-04-2011, 7:36 AM
are we talking 1911 or 1911a1 manufacturers?

1911 manufacturers of yesteryear:
Colt, Springfield Arsenal (no connection to today's Springfield), Remington UMC. Savage also made some slides but never a full gun.

1911A1 manufacturers of yesteryear:
Colt, Ithaca, & Remington Rand were the big 3. US & S is the second most rare at about 55,000 manufactured. And as already stated Singers are the most rare with only about 500 made.

MrElectric03
10-12-2011, 5:44 PM
Lost my thread for a while there lol.

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge there guys I appreciate it. Singer sewing machines huh? Thats really interesting. Ill have to check the right side then and see if its stamped. Ill try to take some pics too. I can tell from looking at it that its in great shape and looks to be very if not completely original. Its definately not modified other than having a hogue grip.

minermax
11-04-2011, 2:14 PM
I found an Ithaca in near mint condition , seems parkerized with serial 2128xxx , does this mean it was reworked or original ? also was this the serial for the Navy as mentioned above? I have not bought this yet it is about 3 hour drive for me if I decide. I dont rember if it had AA,SA or RIA on thre right side, altough it seems I would remember that. Was mard U.S. Government Property, 1911 A1, any help on value based on this? Also had several boxs of ammo dated 1918 20rds. each sealed, i did bring home one of those. Wonder the value of the ammo? Thanks !