PDA

View Full Version : who is watching "I, Caveman"?

bob7122
10-02-2011, 8:55 PM
i was watching the episode and they were refrigerating 130 lbs of elk in the stream. supposedly it hid smell from predators, kept it cool because water temp was 36 to 34 degrees. has anybody heard of this method?

POLICESTATE
10-02-2011, 9:07 PM
I've heard of similar things with keeping corpses cold before burial but I don't recall where. Hadn't heard about the meat thing but if it's cold enough it's cold enough :)

Carsgunsandchics
10-02-2011, 9:09 PM
Did you like the "I cant's". And the usual 50% non-working for the group?

bob7122
10-02-2011, 9:09 PM
but what about parasites, giardia, fungus, etc, etc? would cooking it eliminate that?

bob7122
10-02-2011, 9:12 PM
Did you like the "I cant's". And the usual 50% non-working for the group?

loved the women complaining. and the girls weren't doing much either.:D

i like the guy who created the show from watching the show 30 days where he had a anti-gun women live with a family that loved guns. the women was convinced that guns are not evil and that we don't need more gun laws, but enforce the ones we have.

POLICESTATE
10-02-2011, 9:12 PM
but what about parasites, giardia, fungus, etc, etc? would cooking it eliminate that?

Caveman stomachs are much stronger than our stomachs. We're too refined :rolleyes:

Carsgunsandchics
10-02-2011, 9:17 PM
These "survival" shows with large groups just irritate me to no end. When people know that all they have to do is wait it out and help will be there. If it was really life or death how long would they wait before putting in there effort? I would guess that I'm cold as I'd use the non helping as bait.

bob7122
10-02-2011, 9:19 PM
These "survival" shows with large groups just irritate me to no end. When people know that all they have to do is wait it out and help will be there. If it was really life or death how long would they wait before putting in there effort? I would guess that I'm cold as I'd use the non helping as bait.

what really pissed me off was the "oh, it was and animal and we killed." and when they said, "i am a vegetarian, i am surviving we don't need to kill that elk, i am fine just eating these same leaves and not getting protein."

really they don't eat hamburgers or that they had to personally kill it? was that too barbaric for them?

POLICESTATE
10-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Part of me wouldn't mind seeing them let these people starve to death just so the rest of civilized humanity can see what life would be like without no technology whatsoever.

But I suppose people who watch the show will get the point soon enough. :)

Sanderhawk
10-03-2011, 6:30 AM
I think in real life back then Women did what they were told to do along with everyone had a job. If you didn`t work for your share you didn`t get any share. Already forgot his name but the guy that was just going to hunt and kill stuff was the first guy to go home what a pansey. The big talkers are always that...talkers. The show was more boring than interesting.

calibrator
10-03-2011, 7:03 AM
I surfed to it last night for about 5 minutes. Had to quit it when the woman complaining about her feet freezing refused to sit by the fire to warm them. I know... I know, likely scripted drama, however... . Had the same reaction a little later watching IRT on the "Death Road". Those two whiners that left sure embarassed themselves if it wasn't scripted drama.

Californio
10-03-2011, 8:51 AM
That why we had tribes and an established pecking order. In a true SHTF situation many many people will DIE before an established pecking order is established from those smart enough to stop looking at the world through an abdominal window and get with the program. The largest WEAPON is between your shoulders and your personal ability to loose the ego and see the bigger picture will dictate your survival. The law of nature will take over and the runts that can exist in modern society will die off very quickly.

I had to turn it off, the whiners made me want to puke. Those with young children will really be stressed, young hungry children are whiners squared.

gil671
10-03-2011, 9:56 AM
Watched it last night. At first i thought it was cool. Then i just shook my head at the certain people in the show that did nothing but whine and complain. It just goes to show that many people wont survive when SHTF.

curvejunkie
10-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Very interesting show I thought. 20% quit and would of died in the real world. 40% sat on their butts waiting for someone to deliver them food and water, and 40% actually built a shelter/hunted/fished and gather and provided.

Funny. That SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE AMERICA TODAY.

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
10-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Very interesting show I thought. 20% quit and would of died in the real world. 40% sat on their butts waiting for someone to deliver them food and water, and 40% actually built a shelter/hunted/fished and gather and provided.

Sounds like corporate america to me!!!

wjc
10-03-2011, 1:30 PM
I watched all 3 episodes last night. I was curious to learn any new survival tricks or advice.

The whining and crying bug me. I'm really getting tired of whiners...

I was really impressed they were able to bring down an elk with the atlatl. We have them at my archery range some times so I know they are a pretty effective weapon.

hmmm....I think I'm going to get one. :D

wjc
10-03-2011, 1:34 PM

What I couldn't understand was why the people in camp during the muskrat and elk hunts weren't out around their campsite trying to catch fish, gather edible plants, or repair their shelters? They could have contributed something...

(and yes...it is like corporate America...sigh)

Full Clip
10-03-2011, 2:01 PM
Watched itlast night as well.
I'll take "The Alaska Experiment" or "The Colony" over this any day, though I was also impressed by the elk kill.
One thing it taught me is to jettison non-productive tribe members ASAP. Sorry, but in a real survival SHTF situation, it may come down to the whiners or me, and I vote me.

jeffrice6
10-03-2011, 11:26 PM
At least the Elk did't go to waste!

problemchild
10-04-2011, 7:19 AM

Or human jerky?

meaty-btz
10-04-2011, 7:37 AM
Or human jerky?

Human is just not as nutritious as Elk or Deer, it is almost as bad and worthless as Jellyfish. lol :D

problemchild
10-09-2011, 7:34 AM
OK

I Tivo'd the show. A few of them were not helping at all. Four hours in the cohesion is dissolving. These people that want us all living like cavemen to "save mother earth" have no clue. They text about how we are destroying the earth on their Ipods while they sit at Starbucks.

I think every liberal that wants to save the earth should have to live 1 month in the wilderness on their own with no modern day attributes. Those that live can come out and talk about saving the earth when they are done.

The show was good at showing just how hard survival is. You spend most of your time just looking for food. I was amazed they hit the elk with the spear. I am also surprised the elk let the hunters get so close. They did a great job of getting food that last few days. It sure doesnt look like an easy life.

They did OK for a summer hunt I wonder how long they would have survived in winter with -15f nights?

felixthecat1
10-09-2011, 7:32 PM

As an NRA certified (safe) food handler (really, the National Restaurant Association), I can confirm that yes, providing you cook it properly, such threats would be neutralized. You want to get an internal temperature of 180 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 seconds for most game meat. Beef and pork have a lower required temp, but just to be safe, for for 180 on all proteins, and you'll be fine. Of course, you're not likely to have a meat thermometer in such a situation, but just aim for "well done" and you'll be fine.

bodiebill
10-10-2011, 8:13 PM
What you saw was more than likely close to reality.
In a true survival situation most cannot survive themselves, but will rely (mooch as in today's society) on the skills and strength of those who can survive. They will not make it.
Some of the SHTF scenarios are most likely---many will die off from lack of survival skills or the will to survive.
Read "1 Second After" where an EMP virtually throws America back to medieval times in an instant.
Only the strong will survive. It will be a huge Darwin Moment thinly out the unfit.
Reset